Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

usbprinter.device "error 4"
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
OK, I picked up a cheap USB-Centronics cable for my printer to see if it will work. It is a 7,1,1 device which AIUI should work with usbprinter.device.

It doesn't.

I can select usbprinter.device in Printer prefs (which is further than I get using the printer's own USB interface), but trying to print from Notepad gives me:

Unable to print
Error 4

What does this error mean?

Go to top
Re: usbprinter.device "error 4"
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

It depends on which component is reporting the error. If it is the printer.device, it could mean:
"#define PDERR_BADDIMENSION 4 /* print dimensions illegal */"

If something else is generating the error code, it could mean something else.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@tonyw

Yes, I think it is that as I get the same error from different programs. I've just tried Multiview and it gives me the more wordy "print dimensions are illegal"

How do I fix this error? There aren't many things I can do with the print dimensions in Printer prefs. What causes that error to be returned?

If I change usbprinter.device to printtofile.device I can print without that being displayed (but it ends up in a file of course), so I guess usbprinter.device is (errorneously?) signalling an error to printer.device.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

I've had a look at the code and the only reason it can come up with that error is the obvious one - what you are trying to print won't fit on the "paper".

It could be that the "paper" dimensions are zero (if the prefs haven't been saved) or some such silly thing. Or it might be that the driver is looking at the wrong prefs file. I raise that possibility because:

If I read it right, you have the Amiga parallel port connected to the adaptor cable and the USB end of the cable connected to the printer, right? If so, why are you using the USBPrinter device/prefs? You should be using the ordinary "A1parallel.device" driver (or equivalent).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw

The other way around: USB->Parallel->Printer.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@tonyw

I'm only trying to print the text "test" from Notepad, if that doesn't fit on the page there's a problem The dimensions in Printer prefs look OK.

If I create a USBPAR: mountfile and send stuff to that, I get the same error - this will be bypassing printer.device. Is usbprinter.device's Error 4 different?

(ZeroG has correctly ansered the other point)

Chris

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

But you're not using printer.device or a1parallel.device, you're using usbprinter.device. I don't understand why you need a "USBPAR:".

I can't test it myself (not having a printer around with parallel interface or a cable like yours), but I have used a direct USB connection to the laser here and I never had a problem with paper size messages.

I still think that somehow the driver (usbprinter.device) is not reading the printer.prefs with the printer geometry in it, hence it thinks the dimensions are zero. But I can't find any files (binary or source) containing the string "printer.prefs", so I don't think I can help.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw
Quote:

But you're not using printer.device or a1parallel.device, you're using usbprinter.device. I don't understand why you need a "USBPAR:".

That was only a test to see where the error comes from.

I think that this thread is of use:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=28423&forum=14

The "guy over here in germany" is getting the same error 4 message from usbprinter.device.

BTW: It would be nice if "USBRAW:" could be autocreated/mounted by the usbprinter.device.
It's a very usefull counterpart to the printtofile.device.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Can rwo maybe have a look at it?

Go to top

Register To Post