Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
169 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OS 4.1 IDE Zip drive
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
As suggested by tonyw in another thread I'm starting this new thread to talk about IDE Zip drives.

I recently (after installing OS 4.1) get out of my desktop's drawer my old ZIP disks and I have experienced some strange things : sometimes the system refuses to go down a drawer (both from WB and from DOpus4) giving me a lock error IIRC. If you wish I can try to reproduce it and give you more details in order to fill a bug report, just let me know.
Also I have experienced problem (only after the above error IIRC) when ejecting the ZIP disk and reinstering a new one with same name : the icon of the first disk still remains on the WB and no new icon pop up for the new disk...

Oh and I almost forgot to say that disks are MSDOS formatted (I used them to transfer Aminet programs from work to home when I only had a slow time limited dialup connection).

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Re: OS 4.1 IDE Zip drive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

Are the disks perfectly readable on the PC? I can't imagine too much could be wrong with the IDE device if it works fine for CD-ROM etc. Are you sure that the Zip supports the DMA/PIO setting on that channel? Have you tried setting it to PIO-0? I think if a disk is busy when it is removed (as it would be if there are "stuck" locks on it), it is normal for this sort of behaviour. The icon remains, and Workbench doesn't see a need for a second icon when the same volume name is inserted into the same drive...

Go to top
Re: OS 4.1 IDE Zip drive
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

Do a search for zip drive threads.
I had lots of problems with prior OS4 updates, and haven't looked it since OS4.1

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top

Register To Post