Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
41 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A4 PostScript printing woes with AmiGS/AmiPDF (OS4.1)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I tried to print from AmiGS and AmiPDF to PS printer here.
I set them up as in OS: "Postscipt (PS)" driver inside the applications, -DFIXEDMEDIA as "GS arguments" (also tried "-DFIXEDMEDIA -sPAPERSIZE=a4" and in reverse order too).
I'm trying to print the document that is correctly recognized as A4.
The printer yelled at me that it is "Letter" page size.
I printed it to file and it is "Letter" indeed Prefs/ptiner#? seem to be fine (A4 is selected).
In OS4 I had I working just file (much faster than WB Postscript printer driver when text is present and with only-gfx too)

Can anyone take an A4 pdf or ps document and print it to file with "Postscript (PS)" driver selected in AmiGS/AmiPDF into ram:something.ps and then open it in AmiGS and check the reported paper size?

TIA
Jack

Edit: typos

Edited by Jack on 2008/10/22 19:04:02
Edited by Jack on 2008/10/22 19:04:56
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: A4 PostScript printing woes with AmiGS/AmiPDF (OS4.1)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

I have to confirm, printing an A4 document with
the Postscipt (PS) driver the paper size of the
result it's letter.
This is with AOS 4.1 and happen both with AmiPDF and AmiGS
the difference is that in the .ps file generated
by AmiPDS there is the indication that the page size
it's "Letter" instead in the .ps file generated by AmiGS
the page size it's not indicated so probably when AmiGS
show the document it's fallback to the "letter" default
or at least it seems this way by my low understandig
of the ps language

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@pvanni

Thanks for the confirmation (so it is not something stupid I did, but bug). Something changed in 4.1, will dig into the files asap. I hope the stuff is fixable via editing some text file...

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@pvanni

Jusst noticed that line 75 of Utilities/Ghostscript/Data/8.54/lib/gs_init.ps is uncommented in OS4.0 (maybe I canged it?, datestamp isn't contradicting that):
/DEFAULTPAPERSIZE (a4) def

Did the same with 4.1, no avail.

Tried:

AOS4.1:Utilities/Ghostscript/gs -r150 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dFIXEDMEDIA -sDEFAULTPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sOUTPUTFILE=ram:cover.ps work:latex/covers/cover.ps
(no avail)

The line that input has and output doesn't:
%%DocumentPaperSizes: a4

Injecting it manually seems to cure it. Now looking fot sa way to make it permanent..

Resized Image
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

I tried printing a number of documents to file of varying shapes and sizes, they all end up on letter size pages when displayed in AmiGS. The original PDFs were displayed correct size.

I can't find any parameter that alters this in the ghostscript docs. other than PAPERSIZE which seems to have no effect on pswrite, although I know does work for pdfwrite.

BTW I always use nearly GHostscript direct rather than through AmiPDF or AmiGS it seems to give more predictable results. (ther exception would be when printing one page from a large multipage pdf)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Playing arround slightly more I notice that the A4 and A3 documents I printed to file were displayed completely on the first render by AmiGS, even the papersize was displayed as 'letter'. If I changed the zoom however only that part which should have fitted in 'letter' size page was displayed. Very odd.

Looking at the source to my test out.ps there is aline that sets the page size to /a4

595 842 /a4 setpagesize

This occurs just after the pswrite preamble.

BTW its -dFIXEDMEDIA not -DFIXEDMEDIA ie a small -d

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:

Looking at the source to my test out.ps there is aline that sets the page size to /a4
595 842 /a4 setpagesize
This occurs just after the pswrite preamble.

Same here. The line in the comments section does all the difference.
BTW: gv on linux does same with same docs saved by gs into a ps files.
All come up as letter. Seems to be the same behaviour of both gs-es.
But why the hell it worked on os4.0?
It's same printer, same amigs settings.

Quote:

BTW its -dFIXEDMEDIA not -DFIXEDMEDIA ie a small -d

Indeed, 10x

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

pleas contact the author of amips/pdf!
he usually is very helpfull and will correct the problem.
together with him and deron (pagestream) we once fixed the problem that pagestreams ps output was not displayed with the correct page size at all. the current beta versions have this fixed.

byebye...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Thanks for the idea.
I'll rule out the fault of gs first.
After all linux version of gs (gv as a viewer) produces same result with apparently missing pagesize (gv defaults to bounding box while amigs and the printer default to 'letter' pagesize.
If nothing will come from google, I'll contact the author

Edit: found a way to make gs produce PS file with more compliant pagesize: -sDEVICE=ps2write option, but can't make through gs options of printing dialog, will experiment more tomorrow.

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2008/10/24 16:36:43
Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok, the investigation revealed this:

1. adding -sPAPERSIZE=a4 to gs options in print dialog or cucommenting "/DEFAULTPAPERSIZE (a4) def"in gs_init.ps" does produce printable a4 output.

2. when printing the result of "1" to file and opening it with amigs (or gv) will result in reported page size "Letter" (or bounding box in gv)

The source of confusion here was: I assumed that I won't get the printable a4 output from AmiGS as long captured to file output is not reported as a4 by the viewer.
The bug seems to be in parsing the pagesize by both viewers.

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2008/10/26 19:15:50
Edited by Jack on 2008/10/26 19:17:39
Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
1. adding -dPAPERSIZE=a4 to gs options in print dialog or cucommenting "/DEFAULTPAPERSIZE (a4) def"in gs_init.ps" does produce printable a4 output.

2. when printing the result of "1" to file and opening it with amigs (or gv) will result in reported page size "Letter" (or bounding box in gv)

The source of confusion here was: I assumed that I won't get the printable a4 output from AmiGS until captured to file output is not reported as a4 by the viewer.
The bug seems to be in parsing the pagesize by both viewers.

Jack
I wonder if your option 1 solution will help solve my problem.
When I print a pdf file, my printer stops after each page and I have to press the start button on the printer for it to continue. The printer manual says this is because the page size is different to A4. Even though when I print on a PC it comes out correctly. I know the PC scales to fit the page so I just assumed AmiPDF, or AmiGS don't do this and have lived with the problem.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Adding -dPAPERSIZE=a4 to gs arguments in AmiGS print settings also gets me the same error.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Which printer?

Edit:
And there's a typo in my msg, it's -sPAPERSIZE=a4
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
Which printer?

Edit: And there's a typo in my msg, it's -sPAPERSIZE=a4
Jack
I have a HP Color Laserjet 2550n.
I'll change settings for the typo and report back.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

No go I'm afraid. I changed the settings to -sPAPERSIZE=a4 and althougth I don't get the error it doesn't change the default behaviour of AmiPDF.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Jack wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

Thanks for the idea.
I'll rule out the fault of gs first.
After all linux version of gs (gv as a viewer) produces same result with apparently missing pagesize (gv defaults to bounding box while amigs and the printer default to 'letter' pagesize.
If nothing will come from google, I'll contact the author

well, the author of amipdf/ps is also the author of the ghostscript port. he surely can help finding a solution so that we all have a fixed version in the next update.

byebye...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Can you copy a valid a4 ps file to par: ?
This should send it as is directly to the printer (prepare the index finger on the cancel button just in case...)
Pay attention to the behaviour of the printer.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post