Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)
Re: OS4.1 bugs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

ARexx can't be "fixed", it's old 68K code that doesn't belong to us and we're not permitted to change it.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

I just noticed this night that it's possible to add multiple *public* semaphores with the same name, given the name is used as a key it sounds strange for me. Is it a bug or a feature ? If it's a feature how one is supposed to choose which semaphore is the one he wants ?
Also it's worth mentioning in the autodocs what happens when the semaphore is freed with FreeSysObject and it was in locked state (what about when it's collected in case of crash and ASO_NoTrack was false) ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

I?m probably putting a stick in a hornet?s nest now, but...are you allowed to tell if there is some kind of "exchange" planned for the "not fixable" AREXX?

Very interested here, because using AREXX scripts for a lot of things

Thanks a lot

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Raziel
Very interested here, because using AREXX scripts for a lot of things
I thought the OS4 system was going to update to use Python. Name one thing ? Maybe there is a Python script to handle it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Snuffy

My own script to minimize the hassle with ctorrent

It's a nice script

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel
Years ago I tried the 68k Regina Arexx interpreter on my A4000 and it worked fine. However, I still needed the standard ARexx libraries to be installed because Rexxmast won't work without them. I did disassemble the Rexxmast program with the "Resource" disassembler but the code is over optimized for size and difficult to understand. I would say that a really good 68k assembly programmer could duplicate the functionality of RexxMast in C language but it would be really difficult. I don't think it would be that as difficult to port the Regina ARexx interpreter but I doubt if its going to happen any time soon.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xenic

Some years ago I also looked at a rewrite of the RexxMast code. It's been written for speed and memory size, and uses lots of 68K tricks that you would have to abandon in a pure "C" version. However, without the author's permission to rewrite or modify it, any work is a waste of time. It also has so many bugs that would be difficult to duplicate in a "C" version, that it would be incompatible with the original.

@Raziel

I think we would all prefer ARexx to fade away into the sunset and be replaced by Python. AFAIK the OS4.1 Installer is written in Python (but no first-hand knowledge).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:

I think we would all prefer ARexx to fade away into the sunset and be replaced by Python. AFAIK the OS4.1 Installer is written in Python (but no first-hand knowledge).

Trouble is the current python arexx.so module does not set or extract the equivalent of ARexx's RESULT variable, so is very limited when interacting with programs arexx ports.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)