Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Amiga - What next?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@flipper

Thanks flipper, you underline my point exactly.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C

Quote:
Will the last Amiga user left please turn off the lights?

Man, these lights will stay on as long as I can use AmigaOS. And this means forever, be it with hardware or through emulation.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Elwood

The point is Elwood, that myself and many others want the platform to move forward what you describe is a platform that is stagnant. You'll be using an OS with no new hardware, no new updates, no new Software etc.

We badly need to be able bring back those who have left and want to come back, those who have left and don't know that the Amiga is alive, and finally, eventually, bring in people who have never heard of the Amiga.

The way things are at the moment, the Amiga platform is going nowhere.

Mikey C

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C and all

within the end of March 2007 there will be more informations about our ongoing projects.
Please be patient a little more, announcements (plurals, hint hint) need to be done at the right moment.

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@m3x

Thanks! That's the right cure for Mikey ;)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Mikey_C,

Oh, sorry, I guess you wanted a comment on what you had to say.

Well;

Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

Never in the many years of using an Amiga and being an Amiga user and chatting to many in the community, have I seen what's left of the Amiga community (all 3,000) of us (rough guess) at such a low point.

Prozac to all!

Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

The release of OS4 final should have heralded a renaissance for the Amiga platform but instead the opposite appears to have taken place and disillusionment seems have taken hold throughout the Amiga universe.

So, who is to blame for this sad decline? Well, many would say that the fault lies at with the man at the top Bill McEwen. But that would be a bit unfair to say it all lies with him? there are other factors and other individuals as well.

The only HW vendor (that we know of) was unacceptable, for a myriad of reasons.

Otherwise, Amiga Inc. has no HW by anyone other than what was produced by Eyetech that can be plugged into a wall and powered up, that they can evaluate, and accept or reject as something that could be granted a license and then Hyperion Entertainment could proceed with a port to it.

All they are after is someone that will produce HW and do a one-to-one HW-AOS4.x deal (BTW, that is exactly THE ONLY REASON that bill guts is the richest man in the world today (ibm was too lazy to make an OS themselves). His products are a failure except due to market monopoly, so he succeeded in spite of that. I know this to be true, I lived through that era.). I really don't see this as being unreasonable. Know what? I would have held my ground the very same way.

I guess, I am just as culpable of sinking Amiga too, it's just not my name in the headlines. Although, AmigaDE was a TOTAL waste of resources, they should have saved that for later and ANY FUNDS they had should have been spent on a joint venture to make a really good motherboard. (Or produce more in each run to lower costs.)

Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

What we have now it seems is that Amiga inc and Hyperion are locked in a legal dispute of some sort over the OS. Until this is sorted there is nothing, we, the users can do. Apart that is from voting with our feet, or cash as seems to be the case and leaving the platform altogether.

Well, if we scream, or leave, no one seems to pay us no notice at all.

As for legal wrangling, it's all hush hush, and remember is there even one currently available motherboard that can be rejected? I think there isn't YET.

The legal stuff to me "doesn't exist" (hands over ears "la la la la....") until somebody spills the beans... IF there's anything to it.

I don't believe it is a big deal, but I don't know anything/any better.

Like I said, where is the URL to a MB that can be rejected by Amiga Inc.?

Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

?It was the worse of times, it was the worse of times?

Yup, tagline for "Amiga: The Movie".

Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

Of course, I know I am preaching to the converted, many of you already know what I am saying and have heard it many times before. But just trawling through the various Amiga sites of late, things, have never been worse.

Yes.

Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

A lot of people are pinning their hopes on the month of April and the expected announcement of new, affordable Amiga PPC hardware.
Hardware, which had better be available soon and running Amiga OS4, if not, I fear that before long, we?ll be down to a couple of hundred diehard Amigans throughout the world.

That, then we can look forward to 4.2.
Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

Amiga inc, Hyperion, ACube, Troika and the office pet should pull their fingers/paws out soon, because if not, there will be nothing left for them to argue over.

I think that they're working with whatever money they have to do so.
Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

I am not trying to be depressive, I am hoping that this piece will serve as a reminder to the powers that be that time is indeed running out, if they don't act soon, then all I can say is..

Well, it's only because it is that depressing now.
Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

Will the last Amiga user left please turn off the lights?

Mikey C

Can my finger (and it will be my finger) reach the switch?
(I'll use Professor Farnsworth's "finger extender". )

Amiga will continue......

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@m3x
Thanks for this little sign.
The amiga users need those argently at the moment.

AmigaOne XE G3 750FX 800Mhz/2 GB Ram + Radeon 9000PRO 128MB +AmigaOS4.1
A4000T CyberstormPPC 604e-200Mhz/060/128MB+CybervisionPPC 8MB +AmigaOS4
and anymore other Amigas...
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@m3x

Now thats the type of post we are all waiting to see

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@m3x

Sounds promising!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C
I didn't just go through 18months of waiting and cajoling people to fix my cpu module in order to throw in the towel now. Shit man get that beginners c course up and running and lets get porting. All we can do as the lucky owners of A1 hardware is produce as much software as we can until other hardware is available which I believe will be soon anyway!

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@All

It had been 400 years since the voice of the LORD had been heard in the land, and all those who had not been chosen of the LORD had long since stopped looking forward to His coming to His people. It is so interesting because all they had to do was look at Daniel?s prophecy and count out the years between that prophecy and their own time to have enormous hope of His soon coming.

Has it been so long for us, the signs of hope so sparse and obscure? Are our memories really so short? If my memory does not fail me, it has been scant months ago that announcements were made and hints given that progress was being made between companies; that obstacles were being considered, their defeat being planned.

All of the news I have received of such things Amiga in the past months have come to me through this site. Their discovery and review should not be so difficult as to produce such ?a meandering miasma of maundering misgivings? as we have in this thread. In spite of the obsessive, destructive efforts of some to rip the Amiga IP from the grip of its rightful owners, death has not succeeded in rearing its ugly head in this community.

Companies with any interest at all in their own bottom line do not plan or develop an OS with no hope or plan for hardware on which to run that OS. To say nothing of anyone else, is Bill McEwen?s own voice so lightly treated and early forgotten? Does Hyperion really continue work on a new version of the Amiga OS only to fulfill promises with no hint of new hardware that can run that OS so that sales can be made and profits earned? Are we so full of ourselves or have such a low opinion of their intelligence who have so long kept companies alive through such famishing times as we have of recent seen? ?Why is your face so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.?

Even Nehemiah, when he went forth to rebuild the walls, faced the opposition of desperately wicked men, and we should not be mistaken about the fact that those who in the background labor so faithfully for us will not also face such opposition, but Nehemiah did not let that wicked opposition cause him to lose heart and give up. Can we not also have ?The Courage to be More??

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@m3x

Thats the Tonic for the Troops

Thankyou.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Well.. Mikey, you won't get rid of me. I'll keep up doing this shit until the day i have a stone over my head, shaped like an Amiga1200, with the name Spot engraved on it instead of Amiga. I've said it before, and i'll say it again, I WILL BE THE LAST AMIGA USER on this planet of ours. :) Good times or bad times i always find something to keep me busy and enjoying. Be it pixeling images, making music porting crap hacking consoles or learning something new. I don't know why, nut no other computer even comes _close_ to giving me the kicks my Amigas deliver to me daily.
This last week my internet connection got cut off, it was the best thing happening for a while. I switched on my a1200 and used it liked i used to use it. Being creative, I made two tunes, without the stress of the internet. It was like in the old days, 100% focus on the thing I do. =)
I wish you could subscribe to internet to have it only every second day. It steals way too much time.
Uh well... sorry for the offtopicism. My point is, there is still much fun to be had with our 'new' and old Amigas. Don't get stuck in the shit, use your Amigas that you always have used them, they can still deliver some hot moments!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

Its a sad fact that I have to agree with you though I will not give up totaly. I can only hope that the annoucments in the next week (yes only one week till the end of march) are worth waiting for. A small board for OS4 would be a start but what we really need is an AmigaTwo, a good spec desktop (ATX) system to replace the origianal AmigaOne's. That said all this will be of no use unless something like Firefox is ready to run on it and a good office package oh and some good 3D games, but now I'm just going into fantasy land so lets take it one step at a time.
Some progress would be good so come on AmigaInc and co lets see something happen as the way things are now the machine we all know and love is dying a slow and painfull death and I think it deservse better than that.

A1XE G4 800Mhz, 512Mb, Sil0680, ATI9200se 128Mb, Sounblaster Live & Catweazle Mk3 with SID chip +OS4.1.
A4000 233MhzPPC/04025Mhz, 112Mb, CyberPPC, OS3.9
Other Amiga's A4000, A2000 A500+, A500 & various hardware. 15+ other retro machines.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m3x

Thanks for that note. You appear to have read my thread over on AW.net on Chronic Amiga Anxiety Syndrome and it's treatment.

Looking forward to the announcements.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2007/3/25 18:07:47
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes here we are. Red light's burnig bright tonight.
I agree waiting to get os4 and getting it to start waiting again...Not nice anymore. Need more HW now! Then more sales at SW too.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

Ok, I just got an announcement from the ACube mailing list. More infor on both ACube's website and Hyperion's website.

Hans

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

This is the bit I like

Quote:

ACube will act as a worldwide distributor of Hyperion?s Amiga OS 4.0 operating system for a range of PPC hardware platforms

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@all
Okay, please cool it, I want a happy, friendly site, where we can all be friends (me dons hippy gear)

Keep it civil pretty please?

Mikey C

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Outcast

What a marvellous example you are setting for our members

Mikey C

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »