Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
RGB to PAL/NTSC adapters @ AUD$30-33 each!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi all,

My RGB to PAL/NTSC adapter project is ready for sale. Full and comprehensive details, including photos are on my website:

http://www.amigamaniac.com

I'm selling them fully assembled from AUD$30 (no connectors), for Amiga & non-Amiga applications, to AUD$33 for a fully assembled and tested unit ready to use on an Amiga - just plug it in!

It outputs both Composite and S-Video.

Go to top
Re: RGB to PAL/NTSC adapters @ AUD$30-33 each!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

Presumably it only works if the incoming RGB signal is 625/50, ie PAL Interlaced (or 525/60 NTSC Interlaced)?

How do you get around the lack of a luminance delay line?

How do you limit the chrominance bandwidth?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

Any set timeframe of this kind of production?

In other words, will you always been able to produce these (given a reasonable amount of time to do it) and will they generally be the same amount of dollars...

thanks

edit:

Just had a quick look at the webpages... I was thinking they look pretty light, surely you could post it to NZ cheaper than $12.x? heh... and even then, If I ordered say 5 at a time, they could be sent for the same amount...

and btw, is there a molded housing that clipped around it? or is that a work in progress?

thanks again

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

No, it does not need an interlaced signal to work. It displayed just fine in standard NI mode, and whatever resolution I set on WB.

The AD724 seems to do all the work, it requires very little supporting components, which is why I used it. I am not an expert on electronics, or TV standards, so to be honest and blunt, I don't even know what you are talking about All I know is I made a prototype to spec, following the AD724 data sheet, and that worked well. So I then designed a PCB, and sourced all the components to populate them. If you want to know about the AD724, why not read the data sheet?

@ Slayer

I will keep making them as long as people want them. I have had 50 PCB's made this time, and have components in stock for all 50. The price will remain the same, as long as the price of components, and PCBs stays the same (future runs). For the current batch of 50, of course the price will stay the same, until they are sold out.

With my ROM switchers, I have only have about three enquiries since I sold out. To be honest, I can't afford to do another project right now. I couldn't even afford to do the RGB adapter in fact. It was only possible because of my credit card, which I will be paying off for a while yet I probably let my interest and passion for my hobby overtake common sense and practicality. I still feel a bit stoopid because of it :-S To make matters worse, after I committed myself to the project, our landlord decided to sell our house (we're renting). So it's gonna cost us a fortune to move to a new place. Very, very bad timing for me to take on a new project

Regarding the price of postage, that is what Australia Post charges, it's beyond my control. For parcels, they charge in 0-250g, 250-500g and so on (generally). It also includes the price of the mailing box, which costs AUD$1.45. That is the Euro price, and it may vary by country. Those prices are a guide. I just checked, and postage to NZ is only AUD$7 for 0-250g - add to that AUD$1.45 for the mailing box, so AUD$8.45 to NZ via regular air mail I only ever charge the exact amount for postage, there is no handling fee or anything. Oh, and yes, the price would be the same for one unit as for several, provided the weight came in within the weight category. They are heavier than you might think, especially with all the connectors on it. I'll have to weigh one out of curiosity...

Regarding cases, I explain why I don't offer them in a case at this stage on my website. If you clik on the 'RGB Adapter Notes' button, there's enough information there to cure anyone's insomnia

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

Dude, you should have made the PCB compatible with the A520 cases.

I've been preparing to do the S-Video mod on an A520, and been thinking about making the S-Video out and actual S-Video port (like you have on your project) and mounting it inside the A520 somehow.

I need to figure out if I can rip out the upper mini-pcb of the A520 and replace it with a custom one which has an S-Video port on it, and then make some cut out panels from a similar plastic to cover the audio in / composite out holes and change the RF Out hole, to the new S-Video out port.

tiffers

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

Thanks for the great explanation... I will give this some thought...

since I have around 25 Amiga 500s I was thinking with your little gizmo could be an added bonus when I decide to sell a few on...

In the good ol days I used to hook up one of my g-locks for SV output...

I remember so many years ago going in to get a new TV and I was searching for a good one with SV support... the salesman was trying to tell me it was being phased out and I said why? nah, that can't be right... so brought my TV with SV and ignored him...

Some people eh, think they know something... even today most modern TVs with hdmi even have at least one SV input... I mean my Samsung 50" Plasma does

@tiffers

leave the man alone, he's done great on his own lol

but hey, regarding your project, I have about a dozen A520s... let me know how ya get on

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tiffers

Hey, is that the tiffers from Australia that bought some stuff off me ages ago?

I did seriously consider that, but decided against it. First, it would have cost a lot more to make the PCB long enough to fill the case, so that the connectors could be placed such that no holes would need to be drilled etc. Also, people would have to source an A520 dead or alive, if they didn't already have one.

Also, designing a PCB to fit a specific case is tricky, without a data sheet detailing exact measurements. Just too much of a PITA. I'm trying not to go any more mental over my projects than I already am

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

- What are the result of your hardware connected on a LCD TV from the SVGA or comp ??? (Smooth amiga whdload move when playing, smooth pointer move on the wb,....).

Do you know all the project like this on eon EAB, like the zethro one,.....

In my knowlegde, you are the only who sell complete product like this one (without an external box for the hardware).

I'm wondering to put a SVGA+PAL (A1200)-your hardware ???? + DVI (SAM) + PS3 on one LCD monitor in a more or less near futur (one LCD monitor because not enough place for two).

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD724.pdf

http://www.analog.com/en/amplifiers-a ... 073/products/product.html

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/7/28 15:03:35
Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/7/28 15:07:09
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

OK, I can see now that the AD724 chip contains the Y delay line and the chroma LPF. Clever little chip.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hey everyone, I'd just like to let you all know that I have one of these adapters and it works very nicely, the S-Video output is rock solid! I'm in the process of setting up a few test Amigas and TVs to take pics of, which I'll post as soon as I can.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cammy

Ok, great. Please test all PAL resolution possible and tell us how good the workbench screen is and how move the pointer. Same when you play amiga games...

I'm interested by this hardware but would like also to know the experiences of users

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr

I don't have an LCD TV that works with my Amiga But I can tell you that blurring of images when moving has more to do with the pixel response time than anything else. Older LCD TV's may suffer from blurring with fast moving images. If your LCD TV's image is smooth, then it will be smooth with my adapter S-Video gives the best quality image obviously, but even composite is excellent.

Yes, I know about the projects on EAB, that's how I got into it. I have posted on there (amigamaniac). The last few pages have photos too.

My adapter works very well, otherwise I wouldn't sell it I have always offered a refund with my hardware, as long as the buyer sends it back - I can't have people taking advantage of me and getting freebies I have never once had a complaint, or had to issue a refund for any of the hardware I have made

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Heya everyone! I have taken a few photos of the games room TV running Babylonian Twins through S-Video on my A500. Sorry about the size, but it's important to see the detail, and sorry about the angle I was on, the cord wasn;t long enough for me to sit right in front of the screen.

I'll post a link to a quick video we made once it finishes uploading to YouTube.

http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/FirstLevel.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/TitleScreen.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/Spear.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/DogAttack.jpg

My TVs aren't very good, so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to borrow an LCD TV and see how it looks though that!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Well, my silly little video finally finished uploading properly after a few tries. You'll have to excuse the way I look, it was very late at night and I don't wear makeup so try not to throw up.

Unfortunately there's just no way to show the sharpness of the video output like this, but it at least shows that there's no rolling, or dot crawl, which I find are the most annoying problems with Composite.

I'll take more pics and videos soon!

Here's the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLvrhlNdyc

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

Check your PM sir and reply there too

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cammy

Thanks Cammy for the grab and video (even if at job, youtube is blocked).

I think more and more to buy one of this hardware, amigamaniac

I'm afraid of the vertical position with my A1200 tower without box around the hardware but I have the skill to make one myself (but not the free time actually).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Too late, I PM'd him to purchase the remainer, you'll have to wait for the next order

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hey everyone, I've uploaded another video, this time showing the display on an LCD TV. It's great to see such a high resolution (1376 x 536 widescreen) coming from the Amiga without the need for more expensive hardware, and it's rock solid with no interlace thanks to this LCD TV.

Take a look here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaz6fNpHYIg

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Eh? 5pcs is not the rest of my stock

I already posted an RGB adpater to Mrodfr today

I'll PM you later. Cost for a complete unit is AUD$33 each. I'll have to work out postage later...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigamaniac_aus

I was merely making a bad joke... and thanks for your PM reply, I can see however you're not much of a business man...

Ya might be right down to the line but bulk buying should always have some sort of incentive... in this case however it doesn't matter that much

I might have to purchase 4 and pretend I got $8.25 off each unit heh

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »