Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

AmigaSociety, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

MySQL Future?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi everyone,

as you surely know Oracle took over Sun (MySQL). What do we know about the future of MySQL?

When MySQL dies and we can react fast and go to PostgreSQL or something there will be no problem I guess...

rgds

Edited by hunk on 2009/6/24 10:44:53
Go to top
Re: MySQL Future?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@hunk

You seem to forget that MySQL is open source. Just because Sun doesn't work on it anymore doesn't mean that development can't continue.

F.e. if they decide to discontinue development or make future MySQL versions closed source there's nothing stopping people from picking up the latest released source code and forking it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

yes, you are right and I know that MySQL is open source ;) I tought about a stronger strategy which looks more forward for the amiga. The Amiga community seems to be quite satisfied with it's position ...somewhere in the back (I'm a part of it so don't get mad @me) In the back, where it was for years now. Mysql is opensource but nobody says that it will be opensource forever. Maybe MySQL will be as strong as it is now for the next few years but I don't trust Oracle becouse Oracle will use MySQL as a tool for fighting with M$ (Oracle's evil opponent). Nobody knows what will be the effect of that. I don't want the Amiga to be always a step back behind anyone else. Not now and not in the future. I'd like to have sqlite or PostgreSQL as a most supported database on Amiga OS 4.x and, well, I'd love to have everything natively supported on Amiga :))))))))

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Is it proved that MySQL won't continue to be developed ?

Even if it was the case, it would be good to get it on Amiga. I tried and it's not an easy task but nothing is impossible !

At least we have sqlite (look at os4depot) and I even wrote an example to show how to use the libsqlite with a MUI interface.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@hunk

MySQL is released under the GPL, so it will remain free and open source forever. You can also use a proprietary license as well, but the GPL code will always remain GPL. The name MySQL is, however, trademarked by Sun (or maybe MySQL AB, I think)

There is also the Drizzle fork of the MySQL code, which is also GPL and under active development. Not to mention MariaDB, which is another fork of MySQL that aims to be completely free (as in both beer and speech).

Rest assured MySQL, in one form or another, will continue and under an open source license.

Professional Python and SQL Developer / BASI 2 Snowboard Instructor
Amigan since 1990: AmigaOne XE / A4000/030 / A500
Go to top

Register To Post