Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
208 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

choosing bootdevice
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi, I'm a newbee on OS4 world.

On installation Guide of OS4, there's written we can choose the partition system by using the variable os4_bootdevice.

I have lot of systems on my machine and would like to choose my bootdevice with this option, but dont know who to use it.
For exemple,
what I have to do to boot on a first time on my DH0 partition and later choose to boot on the DH3 partition?

Help please.

Thx

Go to top
Re: choosing bootdevice
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sergius

You can read all about it in the Documentation/Kickstart/bootmenu.doc, but basically, you have to do somthing like this:

Create a subdirectory inside the Kickstart directory of your normal boot partition, most likely your first one (DH0:)? Call it e.g. KS-DH3, if you want to add DH3: as an alternative boot partition.

Move (not copy) your entire Kickstart directory contents from DH3: to DH0:Kickstart/KS-DH3.

Create a link where the Kickstart was on DH3, pointing to where it is now:

> cd DH3:
> makelink Kickstart DH0:Kickstart/KS-DH3 soft force

This makes sure that future updates to Kickstart modules while having booted from DH3 actually update the correct Kickstart.

Edit the kicklayout file in your DH0:Kickstart directory, add a blank line below your existing definition(s), and after that insert the definition from the kicklayout file from DH3:, which you just moved together with the modules to the KS-DH3 subdir. Then, for each of the entries in the new definition, correct the path of the file to be Kickstart/KS-DH3/<file> instead of just Kickstart/<file>. Also remember to give your inserted definition a unique name in the LABEL line.

Finally, add to your new definition a line such as:

Kickstart/KS-DH3/BootDevice

- and create the actual BootDevice "kernel module" like this (assuming your current directory is DH0:):

> echo >Kickstart/KS-DH3/BootDevice "DH3"

(these names are case sensitive, make sure you get them right).

Now, when you do a cold reboot, you should see your new definition as a new item in the boot selection menu in UBoot. Just use the cursor keys or a number key to select it instead of the default one, and the SLB should load the Kickstart modules from your subdirectory and continue to boot the OS with DH3: as SYS:.

BTW, you can delete the kicklayout file from your KS-DH3 subdirectory, once you're done copying its contents to the main kicklayiout file, you won't be using it again.

Hope this works out for you, it's mostly from memory - but my memory of this procedure is quite good, I've done it lots of times .

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Re: choosing bootdevice
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
So, Sergius, did you try this? Or did anyone else?

I'd like to know whether my description was correct and understandable.

This is slowly becoming sort of a FAQ, and if I succeeded in creating a usable answer, it might be an idea to clean it up a bit and submit it as a tutorial or something.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post