Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

beworld, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
I've not touched my Amiga 1200 for many YEARS !!!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
But I've now got it up and running, just as a games machine primarily. The biggest problem I have is that I can't remember how I've set it up !!!

IIRC, on the initial Workbench screen you could see your Workbench drawer, RAM, Floppy etc. However, I've got (I think !) MagicWorkBench (MagicWB) installed & when I boot it goes straight into a nice tidy window with 4 drawers in it, Workbench, Games, Work & Utilities ... I obviously knew what I was doing way back when !!!

My problem is ... how do I access the Floppy drive ? I can't find an icon for it anywhere ... otherwise, should I uninstall MagicWB (how ?) or is there a better OS for a 1200 with a HD these days ? If so, is it free, can I download it from a PC & copy it ?!?

Any advice greatly appreciated ...

Go to top
Re: I've not touched my Amiga 1200 for many YEARS !!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@vodkasoda

Quote:
My problem is ... how do I access the Floppy drive ? I can't find an icon for it anywhere

Insert a disk into your floppy drive and an icon will appear automaticly (and disappear when you remove the disk).

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@vodkasoda

Quote:

vodkasoda wrote:
But I've now got it up and running, just as a games machine primarily. The biggest problem I have is that I can't remember how I've set it up !!!

IIRC, on the initial Workbench screen you could see your Workbench drawer, RAM, Floppy etc. However, I've got (I think !) MagicWorkBench (MagicWB) installed & when I boot it goes straight into a nice tidy window with 4 drawers in it, Workbench, Games, Work & Utilities ... I obviously knew what I was doing way back when !!!

My problem is ... how do I access the Floppy drive ? I can't find an icon for it anywhere ... otherwise, should I uninstall MagicWB (how ?) or is there a better OS for a 1200 with a HD these days ? If so, is it free, can I download it from a PC & copy it ?!?

Any advice greatly appreciated ...

MagicWorkbench (MWB) isn't an Operating System, it's just a set of icons.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@vodkasoda

Oh dude, it's been too long! As TSK says, insert a floppy disk - if it's a game disk then it might not be readable by Workbench in which case you need to insert when you turn the computer on and it will boot from the floppy drive (DF0:) automatically.

Have fun.

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rudei

Quote:
if it's a game disk then it might not be readable by Workbench

It'll still show up though - as DF0:NDOS most likely.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vodkasoda

Likewise I have been messing with my 1000. It booted up nicely, but many of my game disks seem corrupted. :(

It has the genlock add-on which is working nicely and the constant click of the second disc drive brought back some memories. I too couldn't remember how to access the disc from cli, what made me laugh when I saw your post. DF0: DF1: doh! Before I started it I cleaned it out, and it was the first time I saw the enstamped case of the designers signatures (and the paw print). I've been lurking waiting for the next-gen to come out.

Is it actually true I can now get a SAM440ep w/ OS4.1 sent to me and is that the next gen solution? It seems a little lacking in upgrade features, is there anything else coming out soon?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@vodkasoda

... or is there a better OS for a 1200 with a HD these days ? If so, is it free, can I download it from a PC & copy it ?!?

I don't think so! Sorry, PCs are not allowed in heaven!

Just for the hell of it, I attached my A1200-40HD to A1-XE/G4 long ago! It makes a good debugging diagnostic tool among other things. A lot of AGA stuff works better on it instead of EUAE.

Vodka? Yuk! A good Canadian whisky is the ticket!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@vodkasoda

If you enter a disk and you hear a grinding sound for a few seconds that's a definite sign it's a non-dos disk... after first checking it for a virus! that's right, old disks could contain one

hold down ctrl, AmigaL and AmigaR keys to do a warm reset and boot into the disk if it can... some non-dos disks are also data disks so don't boot as with non formatted or new disks...

I have a few A1200s myself including a tower setup for 060 etc but haven't turned them on for years either... still messing with A4000s... heh

good luck ,)

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Ha Ha Ha ... it's always the way, isn't it, the easier the answer, the harder it is to work it out for yourself !!!

Thanks <blush> ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@everybody

Thanks for your replies and help, I've got a little bit back into the swing of things now, though I'm still VERY rusty, as you would expect.

Now I may have to open new threads for further questions, but this first one should be OK in here as it's so similar ... how do I access my CD drive ? I have an adapter in the PCMCIA slot with a thick grey wire that goes into the SCSI adapter at the back of the CD. Apart from the power lead, I assume this is all I need, I don't recall previously having a 9-pin lead into the other port in the PCMCIA card ... though I could, of course, be wrong !

If I put in a CD, Simon the Sorceror, a CD32 disc, for instance, the CD doesn't appear the same way that the Floppy drive does ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vodkasoda

I don't recall previously having a 9-pin lead into the other port in the PCMCIA card ... though I could, of course, be wrong !

Thats the serial port, I think you have a surf-squrrell...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@vodkasoda

Quote:

vodkasoda wrote:
@everybody

Now I may have to open new threads for further questions, but this first one should be OK in here as it's so similar ... how do I access my CD drive ? I have an adapter in the PCMCIA slot with a thick grey wire that goes into the SCSI adapter at the back of the CD. Apart from the power lead, I assume this is all I need, I don't recall previously having a 9-pin lead into the other port in the PCMCIA card ... though I could, of course, be wrong !

If I put in a CD, Simon the Sorceror, a CD32 disc, for instance, the CD doesn't appear the same way that the Floppy drive does ...

You'll also need a SCSI terminator. If the only SCSI device is the CDRom drive it'll plug into the other SCSI socket on the back of the drive. If you have other SCSI devices plugged in the terminator needs to be plugged into the last drive on the chain.

I think some devices may have termination built in.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@vodkasoda

Do you have any CDROM drivers installed ? If you have Amiga OS (Kickstart+Workbench) version older than 3.5 you have to install drivers for your CDROM device.

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@TSK

Actually he should be ok with 3.1 - the CDFS is rubbish, but it will at least show the icon when a disc is inserted,

@vodkasoda

You should have squirrelscsi.device in devs: and a mountlist for CD0 in devs:dosdrivers (with a line/tooltype DEVICE=squirrelscsi.device)

You may find that CD0 is in sys:storage/dosdrivers, in which case double-click on it to mount, and move it to devs:dosdrivers to activate it permanently.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ghoolster

Aha ... Surf Squirrel ... now that definitely rings a bell, yes, I have one of those ... I think <g> !!!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RacerX

IIRC, when I originally set this up, everything worked fine, so I must have termination built in ... hopefully !

@TSK & Chris

I will look into what you both say and see if I can get anywhere ... unless, would I be better off restarting and loading this new OS ?

Problem there is that the Amiga isn't connected to the Internet, so any downloads have to be done from this PC & then copied to floppy, which presumably the Amiga wouldn't recognise, or CD and then ... well, we're back to the question again !!!!!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@vodkasoda

Quote:

vodkasoda wrote:
@TSK & Chris

I will look into what you both say and see if I can get anywhere ... unless, would I be better off restarting and loading this new OS ?

Problem there is that the Amiga isn't connected to the Internet, so any downloads have to be done from this PC & then copied to floppy, which presumably the Amiga wouldn't recognise, or CD and then ... well, we're back to the question again !!!!!

Well, OS 3.5 and 3.9 both need at least more memory than the standard 1200 has built in, so you'd need to get yourself some kind of RAM expansion, or preferably an 030 accelerator or something. Amigas can read 720KB formatted PC floppies no problem - it's PCs that can't read Amiga disks ;) You'll find a PC0: DOSDriver in Storage:DOSDrivers/ if it isn't already in Devs/DOSDrivers, and like the CD0 driver, just douple click it to enable PC floppies. Unfortunately though the standard floppy drive in the 1200 can't read 1.44MB floppies, so if you can't find a 720KB one, tape over the hole that's not for write protecting it, and reformat it at 720KB.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@vodkasoda

It would help a lot if you told us more information. Do you have a hard drive installed to your computer or do you boot from a floppy ? Which Kickstart ROM's (version number) do you have ? And if you boot from a hard drive, which AmigaOS version do you have installed on your hard drive ? Do you have any turbo card installed to your computer ?

X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daedalus & TSK

Thank you for the PC floppy 720 advice, I nevber knew that ...

... and yes, sorry, I would normally spell everything out from the start, hardware, sowtware, add-ons etc., etc., etc. ... trouble is, I am now so forgetful of how the Amiga used to work that I can't supply all those details !!!

However ... I do boot from a HD & I have RAM ... it was quite a lot when I originally put it in, I think, but I have a feeling it was 4Mb and that doesn't sound right in today's PC world where I have 2 Gb of RAM on this machine !!!

Not sure of my OS, but it will be as originally supplied I guess, 3 point something or other, I'll try & find out & post it back on here later.

"Kickstart ROMs" & "turbo card" I don't know about I'm afraid !!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
OK ... hope this helps :

My Workbench system was apparently created on 13th February 1996.

If I do an About, I have 3.1 ROM in the top left corner ... I am assuming this means Workbench release 3.1.

Then it says underneath :

Kickstart 40.68
Workbench 39.29

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »