Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Yellowing of Amiga cases - solved!!!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but a breakthrough discovery has been made; a method has been perfected to completely reverse the yellowing of old computer cases and plastic parts such as keys and mice.

You need some hydrogen peroxide, some "Oxy" laundry booster and a UV lamp.

Using 35% peroxide, half a teaspoon of "Oxy" and a 75W UV bulb, yellowing of a Nakska mouse house (remember those?) was 75% reversed in 2 hours under controlled conditions. Weaker strengths of peroxide work but take longer, the worst yellowing may take 72 hours or more to reverse, but that's still pretty quick compared to years of oxidation.

This method depends on UV light and a chemical called TAED which is found in the "Oxy" products, these accelerate the process by about four times then using peroxide alone.

This was discovered by a German, the method was perfected by the British with help from Brazil and was worked out by chemists and plastics engineers.

No adverse effects happen to the plastic, this just reverses the yellowing which is caused by oxidation of the flame retardents which were put into the plastic before moulding.

There are threads about this on amiga.org and EAB, I suggest that you read these up to see what has been achieved.

Link here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37808

Feedback is welcomed.

EDIT: If anyone tries this from this site, pictures would be welcomed, thanks.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin on 2008/8/2 18:38:27
Edited by Merlin on 2008/8/2 23:12:37
Edited by Merlin on 2008/8/4 23:17:00
Old Miggys never die, they get modded!!!
Go to top
Re: Yellowing of Amiga cases - solved!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Merlin

Feedback is welcomed.
Fascinating! I thought the yellowing was do to tar in the air from smokers. One reason I gave smoking years ago.
IQ hasn't changed much, but my keyboard is cleaner & whiter!!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
Hi @Merlin

Feedback is welcomed.
Fascinating! I thought the yellowing was do to tar in the air from smokers. One reason I gave smoking years ago.
IQ hasn't changed much, but my keyboard is cleaner & whiter!!

not to mention yer wallet, and lung capacity !

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @agafaster
not to mention yer wallet, and lung capacity !
OT
No kidding! Let's see $50.00 a carton X 4 = $200 a month X 12 months = $2400 a year! Not mention breathing better!

Go to top

Register To Post