Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

My last AmigaOS frontier
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've been an Amiga user for so many years. I bought the faithful copy of AmigaWorld #1, it seems like yesterday. I've done about all I can do. Even became an Amiga Video Toaster developer using GUI/FX building tools. Now I'm ready for my final Amiga frontier. I don't know why I did not do it sooner. I want to learn Amiga programming in C. I'm ready for the long learning journey and have some great ideas. Where should I start my quest? Books, websites? Anyone have some suggestions please? How long will this journey take?

Go to top
Re: My last AmigaOS frontier
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

How long will this journey take?

Forever. And depends on what kind of person you are, what kind of motivation you have and what kind of life you have, how much of time you want to spend on and co. Basics are easy, but with basics you can do nothing most of time.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@discreetfx

Quote:
I want to learn Amiga programming in C. I'm ready for the long learning journey and have some great ideas. Where should I start my quest? Books, websites? Anyone have some suggestions please?

Get a "C for dummies"-type book and start learning the language. Setup a development environment on your computer: download and install the OS4 SDK package from Hyperion's website, then get CodeBench (free download from http://www.codebench.co.uk). Browse through the examples in the SDK to get you an idea of what AmigaOS program code looks like. Register at www.os4coding.net to get advice from more experienced programmers. Bookmark the AmigaOS Documentation Wiki (wiki.amigaos.net) for the most complete Amiga programmer's reference material. Be patient and willing to learn. Most importantly: have fun!

Quote:
How long will this journey take?

Learning C is easy, I've more-or-less mastered the language in a week or so. The hardest part is the AmigaOS API: the individual system components (libraries etc.) containing the functions you'll need to use. This could take a couple of years to get a good grasp of.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Expect it to take a little time. Don;t over estimate what you can do at once...but just learn C and enjoy it as you go, otherwise you will find yourself frustrated and giving up!
Get a simple "C for dummies" book with lots of examples. Set up the OS4 SDK etc as per Trixie's advice. Beware, right from the start there may be an issue or two....setting up the correct libraries etc. It often happens.
Be persistent. Be patient. And most of all, HAVE FUN!

Scott

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DiscreetFX
If you do eventually decide that C is too difficult for you, remember there are alternatives!

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Why are you posting such a phony bit of tripe? Being that you're already a developer of Amiga software you're already well acquainted with the tools necessary for Amiga development as well as the web sites out there that support Amigans.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
the way I learned C was to buy a beginners paperback book worth about 5 bugs.

and then you need to practice, over and over again... this is very time consuming.

“The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I though that programming was more about algorithms than languages and APIs.

Kamelito

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The algorithms are merely the interesting bit in the middle. Most of the code relies on the interfaces to the outside world - how you get input from the user running AmigaOS, how you talk back to him/her.

Then there are the problems associated with trying to read stuff from disk, how to write it back. That's the stuff that is not written in any textbook, because it's unique the operating system you are using.

Once you get to that stage, you have all the Amiga documentation on the wiki. Some of it is still old, but it's gradually being replaced with up-to-date versions.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ferrels

My role today is more of a Project Manager/CEO. I don't do any coding, software projects are assigned to contractors and that has come back to bit me in the ass sometimes. I want to learn to be a coder and think it will help me long term. Today when a project goes off track I feel kind of powerless since I can't code to get it back on track or even understand what work has been done by doing a code review. This puts me in an uncomfortable position I don't want to be in.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Programming should be made as simple as putting a command in a dopus button. Just make a window, add buttons and then put commands to the buttons.

From a dum dummie.

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Dirk-B

Agreed. I would pay for a Rapid Application Development tool. Here is a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... ication_development_tools

We had PureBasic one day but of course the author had to drop Amiga support. :-/

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood
IMHO, PortablE's GUI system is about as close to "Just make a window, add buttons and then put commands to the buttons" as it can be (example here), without limiting you to a set of infexible templates (as typically happens with Rapid Application Development tools).

edit: I guess that Dirk-B was asking for a kind of "visual programming"... I don't believe in that for many reasons.

Edited by ChrisH on 2013/7/30 9:17:00
Edited by ChrisH on 2013/7/30 9:18:48
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Dirk-B wrote:
Programming should be made as simple as putting a command in a dopus button. Just make a window, add buttons and then put commands to the buttons.

From a dum dummie.

Try Hollywood + Designer.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

I have both, but i am to dum to make a programme.

I have always asked my self how they make a
programme like for example muibank, as i want to
change and add some things for my own.

Maybe we could have some add-on kit to expand
future programs with extra buttons or so, just an idea.

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top

Register To Post