Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

cygnusEd, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I would like to have some news about J?rg Strohmayer.

If someone have some news from him, Thats will be greatly appreciated

I hope all is good for J?rg (good wealth and private life and job) and It's finally just a long break for him since August and we will soon have good news from him

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/10/1 12:09:24
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

Now dont bash me on this, I dont know if its true but someone on irc told me he quit. Correct me if Im wrong please.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@magic

Maybe he is involved in Hyperions new secret project.. He dissapeared almost as the same time as the project was announced?

Or maybe he is just taking a well deserved break.. He did work very hard during the spring with OWB.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@magic

Quote:

magic wrote:
@Mrodfr

Now dont bash me on this, I dont know if its true but someone on irc told me he quit. Correct me if Im wrong please.

I really hope not because he was developper of a few things needed on AOS4 :
- JXFS : whose affirmed goal was to become the new official default filesystem under AOS4
- OWB : currently the *only* usable browser with CSS and javascript support under AOS4,
- AmiDVD : the only native CD/DVD burner for AOS4,
- some other few things like the SLB, SFS2, Privoxy, DiskLED docky, native PGP...

If it's reall ythe case we *will* miss him !!

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Threads like this are generally a bad idea to start... it's bound to warp several more times before it finally expires...

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

I like to know that too...
He dont log in from 2 august...
And no declarations was made from anyone...
*Really* hope that he was involved with the "secret" Hyperion project...if not, I think that was a really problem...
He maintain newlib too...
Maybe simply working on FireFox...maybe...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Frying pan is also native software so AmiDVD is not the only one.

I also want to know more info about Joerg :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kicko

Oh really ? Last time I tried it was a long time ago and I think it was a demo, it was only a 68k IIRC (but that should be around the time of OS4 pre 3 so I may recall wrong). Anyway I wasn't convinced : too unstable, too unreliable, and the GUI was really not of my state either... But that was my IMHO, and if FryingPan is now native I stand corrected.

Go to top
Anonymous
The source of the rumour:

[09:36] <magic> Well i can honestly say firefox has not crashed on me
[09:36] <porthan> AndyLandy: it is probably the best
[09:37] <AndyLandy> It is the "best" purely by virtue of being the "least bad"
[09:37] <porthan> AndyLandy: funny that baldos are trying to port it...
[09:37] <AndyLandy> If it scores 3% on a test and everything else scores 2 or less, it's the best
[09:37] <porthan> it means support hell and endless bug fixing/updating
[09:37] <porthan> os4 development is going to crawl without them
[09:38] <magic> Im not being funny when i say this but you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes of os4 develo
pment neither do i for that matter so lets just wait and see what happens
[09:38] <porthan> it is probably reason why joerg quit
[09:38] <magic> There is no point in speculaiting fud
[09:39] <alef> I never ever had any problem with Firefox
[09:39] <alef> Joerg Strohmayer quits coding?
[09:40] <alef> magic? porthan
[09:40] <alef> ?
[09:40] <alef> I sure hope I got that wrong
[09:41] <porthan> he did not get paid
[09:41] <alef> ah
[09:41] <alef> who did he work for?
[09:41] <porthan> hyperion
[09:41] <alef> hmm you are kidding

(#amigaworld - 30th September)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DaveP

I really do hope that it's only that : a rumor.
Else AOS4's future is in even more trouble than it was.
We already loose Detlef W?rkner (tetiSoft) in early 2008 who was working on the locale part of the OS, but we gained Costel Mincea (Cyborg) (at least this how I see things from the outside : one out, one in, but I may be wrong) if another (key) developer is leaving then we might (sadly) see some slowness in the AmigaOS4. And IMHO it was the force of AOS4 until yet to resist to the on going case : its relative sustained development rate since 2004 I saw pre, upd #1, upd #2, upd #3, upd #4, OS 4 final and OS 4.1 so 7 versions in 5 years so almost 1.5 version a year.

Go to top
Anonymous
@abalaban

I'm not sure it makes any difference to the future of AmigaOS when it comes down to it. Two reasons were ventured, one kind of makes the other pointless.

Just another episode of the soap opera surrounding Amiga.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
One of our most talented.

I hope he still involved with OS4, and more importantly everything is okay.

AmigaOne XE G4/800 OS4.1
Amiga 4000T, CSPPC@233Mhz, mediator + OS4.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mrodfr et al,

If Jeorg has quit over money, perhaps every user of OWB who likes the product, could send a donation of say $15 to $20 to his PayPal account along with a note of gratitude and encouragement for his work on JXFS, OWB, and other great software.

If he quit over principle (that is if Hyperion really did not meet its obligations to Jeorg and Jeorg is angry over the injustice of it all), then PayPal donations and notes may not help much.

If he has not quit at all, but is quiet for some other reason, then I would still encourage OWB users to donate something to keep up his developer's morale.

-The Phantom "?"

Edited by interrogative on 2009/10/1 16:46:46
Go to top
Anonymous
Well, I'm not keen to pay someone elses' wage bill for them based on an irc rumour passed on by that particular IRC user whose real identity I don't think it would be reasonable or helpful to expose.

But if me using OWB is a problem for anyone to use without donating, and they want me to uninstall it I'm perfectly happy to. I don't find it /that/ useful yet although I do think it is great that a reasonably standards compliant browser finally made it to OS4.x.

AmigaOS4.x is currently little more than a hobby for me, and its daily use is as a text editor.

I'd be more inclined to throw money at Rigo for Codebench, Dietmar (already did that) for Golded Studio, Orgin for Filer and pay for smbfs.

Dave.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DaveP

My suggestion to send donations is to encourage Jeorg as a developer, not make up for a "rumored" breach of trust on the part of Hyperion. Whether or not Hyperion has done anything wrong, the donations to Jeorg should be much appreciated.

-The Phantom "?"

Go to top
Anonymous
@interrogative

Glad you made that clear ;)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DaveP
Quote:

DaveP wrote:
Well, I'm not keen to pay someone elses' wage bill for them based on an irc rumour passed on by that particular IRC user whose real identity I don't think it would be reasonable or helpful to expose.

On the other hand that's not very difficult to find And yes I see what you mean maybe it would be better to wait after someone with real inside sight before doing anything.
And it's J?rg's right to quit if he feels exhausted after all this years of hard work, it might very well be a life choice too, we can't know, so we must not draw conclusions before knowing anything *for sure*. But what we can do is acknowledging he did a great job and that we might not be where we are if he would not have been there, so thank you !

Go to top
Anonymous
@abalaban

I don't doubt that he is MIA, but people drift in and out of this stuff for their own reasons.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@All

Lets keep rumors off here please or I'll move this to Too Hot to Handle.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DaveP

I agree with you but anyway that does not change that (if he's really MIA) then we have lost a valuable developer . I just hope this does not mean death of all of the things he was taking care of.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »