Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

joerg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4)
Re: Wipeout2097 progress
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Well imho if a native port of Wipeout has to be made to modern os, then the most logical, "easy" solution will be start the port from the current warpos version.. the only problem could be, reach the programmer of the Amiga (WOS) port, understand if there is still a source somewhere... and eventually whether it can be reused/licenced or not :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

Wipeout and Wipout 2097 are two different ganes and even if the Amiga source for 2097 still exists but it can't just be released to the community due to Sony owning the IP. The best we could hope for is that Blittersoft/VP still have rights to publish the WarpOS version of 2097. Maybe Paul Lesurf can clear things up if he sees my message on Facebook.

A port of Wipeout itself is off limits due to legality of the only source code available so it's just an interesing discussion.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TheMagicSN

Looking at the files in the source suggest that Andrew Yelland wrote his own 3D API and drivers the popular cards of the time. I can't find the requiresment for the Windows version but DOS version only states that a VESA graphics card is required so there may be software rendering mode. The DOS version also has an ATI Rage version that seems to be using GL. There's some driver code belonging to ATI included in the source dump which releates to that.

There's also some assembler code in there for some of the more computationally heavy tasks. The DOS version only required a 486 DX2 @66Mhz.

This is all written from the perspective someone with little programming background beyond basic for various z80 based micros decades ago.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4)