Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 39

rwo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Amicygnix progs
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ billt

KiCad seems to be closed source, but of course you could ask for it.
It should be possible to compile the current version of wxWidgets (2.8.12) for AmiCygnix. Unfortunately I have serious problems with threads support. If it needs threads, the chances for KiCad on AmiCygnix are low (Audio Evolution needs threads).

@gerograph

My XSane package will include the latest sane backends V 1.0.22. Compared to my sane-frontends package (backends 1.0.20), I was able to fix many backends.

The sane backends 1.0.22 includes support for Lide 100/110 and Lide 200/210 (genesys backend). The official status is "complete".
Antique tested a Lide 200 with his SAM 460 - no success so far. It seems to be a problem of the system software, but I'm not sure .

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
just rechecked my mails, and it is the Canon Lide 200 making problems. "Re: [sane-devel] Canon LiDE 200 scanning fails with backends from PPA", cannot read anything about LIDE 100, though. Seems to work, then.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
KiCad seems to be closed source

Eh? (looks around. scratches head)

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/
says Kicad is an open source (GPL) software and that's the very first thing said at all on their web site. Even their logo, which I guess comes above that first sentence, has "GPL" in it.

Sources are listed under the Download page
ftp://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/cao/k ... es_2011-03-30-BZR2932.zip

Or get it on Sourceforge
http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ billt

Uuh - I think I've been on the wrong page (http://www.kicad.de).

I have a first success with my wxWidgets port. Here is a snapshot with a first app called "xchm", a chm file viewer, a demo card game and a wxWidgets/OpenGL demo:

Resized Image

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CygnusEd

Maybe someone already ask you, but any chance for native version ?:) I know its all huge job , but also as i know, Abalaban already do 95% of work, so maybe you can just get the sources from him and finish the stuff ?

Edited by kas1e on 2011/4/28 10:10:58
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I have a first success with my wxWidgets port.

Awesome!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Well, so, my Lide 100 sometime (only sometime)works with the Amiga.

I'm waiting for this.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@CygnusEd

Maybe someone already ask you, but any chance for native version ?:) I know its all huge job , but also as i know, Abalaban already do 95% of work, so maybe you can just get the sources from him and finish the stuff ?

In my opinion, I have no better skills to port wxWidgets than any other developer. With the base of my so far compiled/ported libs, the AmiCygnix port of wxWidgets is not much more than a recompile. Only a few changes had to be made.
I like to continue my work on AmiCygnix and I have my doubts, that wxWidgets will bring much interesting software. So no chance, sorry.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I like to continue my work on AmiCygnix and I have my doubts, that wxWidgets will bring much interesting software.

I hope the world proves you wrong about that. :) And I'm thankful that you port current WxWidgets anyway to your system.

Do you have any guide/howto for porting an API like WxWidgets, or for porting an application that uses any API in your amicygnix system with the SDK you published a while ago?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

billt wrote:

I hope the world proves you wrong about that. :) And I'm thankful that you port current WxWidgets anyway to your system.

The problem I have with wxWidgets is, that much of the interesting software seems to be commercial / closed source. Maybe I didn't look at the right places.

Quote:
Do you have any guide/howto for porting an API like WxWidgets, or for porting an application that uses any API in your amicygnix system with the SDK you published a while ago?

There is an amigaguide file called "AmiCygnix-SDK.guide" in "Cygnix:Development/AmiCygnix-SDK" (After installation of the SDK of course).
Basically, if you are familiar with the way Linux software is built, you should be able to compile / configure a project. The special differences for AmiCygnix are described in the guide.

I already started to build a new SDK with GTK 2.10, wxWidgets 2.8 and Mesa 7.8. Like to test it?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I already started to build a new SDK with GTK 2.10, wxWidgets 2.8 and Mesa 7.8. Like to test it?

Would I like to? Yes. Can I? Not sure. My AmigaOne is buried in storage mode until we can have space for such things, which has not yet happened since I got married a couple years ago. This may clear up in the next few months, I hope so. We've stopped renting out the apartment downstairs and we will use it for space ourselves, and we're hoping to buy a bigger house this summer/fall if we can. (maybe we can't afford that though, but hopefully more space where we are will be enough to have desk-tethered computers running again)

What can I do? Well, all I can use om computer stuff right now is my PC laptop, which I have Linux and the AmigaOS4 SDK cross-compile set up inside that. Well, some recent very simple hello world type test showed it to work anyway.

Is that useful?

I'm trying to work on uboot for AmigaOne as well, but am using the Denx ELDK environment for that.

(when will someone actually do what I've not got anywhere with and make a laptop for us OS4 people? I could actually use one of those right now while my desktop towers are hidden away)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ billt

Hmm - then it does not make much sense. You should be able to compile all the example projects included in the SDK and to test, if they are working correctly. For this you will need your AmigaOne.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd Quote:
Didn't have success in increasing speed of AmiCygnix so far

That's a great shame. Naively I imagined that there should just be a few places that you would need to use Blitting instead of CPU copying of graphics, to make a big difference for window scrolling & moving.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Then the next bounty should be to do a wrapper Amicygnix => Intuition.

Is it possible to do it step by step? What's the first step? GTK?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
That's a great shame. Naively I imagined that there should just be a few places that you would need to use Blitting instead of CPU copying of graphics, to make a big difference for window scrolling & moving.

At the beginning I had the same thoughts, but it is much more complex. There isn't a simple function I could replace. And while scrolling there is a lot of traffic between the server and the client. I think this is the main perfromance problem and makes it hard to optimize.

I've made a port of Mesa for AmiCygnix (software rendering only) and I was really surprised, how fast some animated example programs are. So the raw graphics performance seems not to be the biggest problem.

And: I've also made a OS4 native port of the GTK font renderer "pango", which uses the cairo port for OS4. An example program of the native version and the X11 version had the same speed - and it is quite slow! So pango is also responsible for the bad perfomance of GTK programs.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

And: I've also made a OS4 native port of the GTK font renderer "pango", which uses the cairo port for OS4. An example program of the native version and the X11 version had the same speed - and it is quite slow! So pango is also responsible for the bad perfomance of GTK programs.

You use that cairo port which come with SDK ? If so, then problems can be here as well easy. That port which are in the SDK are very old, and somehow buggy (i cant say exactly what the problems in it, but that port trying to use directly intuition windowses for blitting (or kind), and its just done a bit wrong). In comapre, just plain recompilation of cairo with usage of plain image_surface, are much faster than current cairo in SDK. In other words, if you do your tests with SDKs cairo, just try to make the same tests again, but just build your own cairo (its simply ./configure; make in general). Maybe it will have differences as well.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Elwood wrote:
Then the next bounty should be to do a wrapper Amicygnix => Intuition.

Is it possible to do it step by step? What's the first step? GTK?

I don't think, that I have to remove all dependencies to AmiCygnix to create a native GTK. Basically AmiCygnix programs do only use an utility library with my unix functions and a directory tree similar to Unix. Nothing more!What I have to remove is the dependency to the X server.

There are several ways for reach this goal:

* Create a X11 wrapper library. Advantage: I could easily port any X11 software just by relinking my current GTK/X11 programs. Disadvantage: The program will have the same look and feel like the original GTK program.
There was already an attempt to this by Terje Pedersen (in 1996 I guess). I've ported it for OS4, but it is unusuable.

* I could make a GTK port using the native Cairo port. Same disadvantage as above. And - as described in my previous post - "pango" is not faster.

* A GTK wrapper, that uses MUI or Reaction. There is already an attempt to do this. I don't know, how much it proceeded.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
In other words, if you do your tests with SDKs cairo, just try to make the same tests again, but just build your owb cairo (its simply ./configure; make in general). Maybe it will have differences as well.

Sounds interesting. Where can I find the OWB sources?

On the other hand I can launch the example program with an option that avoids opening a display, so I can see the pure time needed for rendering. It is also slow here.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CygnuxEd
Quote:

Sounds interesting. Where can I find the OWB sources?

Sorry it was typo, i mean not "owb cairo", but "own cairo". I.e. to build your own one.

Quote:

On the other hand I can launch the example program with an option that avoids opening a display, so I can see the pure time needed for rendering. It is also slow here.

Hm .. then maybe its not related, but anyway, better to try with more or less good stuff and which is 100% better than current in SDK. There is i upload archive for you, in which:

cairo-1.8.10 . Not very latest one of course, but we just use exactly that version because fab use it on morphos with no problems as well as we use it with muiowb on os4. Also in that port we removed dependes on phtreads and used semaphores instead (thanks to fab for his changes in that terms).

pixman1-0.21.2 (5 months old one, used for providing image_surface for cairo).

I.e. they both uses togethers (-lcairo -lpixmain-1 for compilation). Maybe not very decent , but better than SDK ones (cairo in SDK are 1.5.21 if i remember right, much older) and faster than SDK ones as well.

All what you need, it just copy includes to SDK/local/common/include and libs to SDK/local/newlib/lib/

Maybe it will help somehow .. Maybe its even will speedup AmyCygnix at all if you use Cairo in it.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ kas1e

Thanks for the archive!

I'm using exactly the same versions of cairo and pixman for AmiCygnix. My current GTK2 port (2.10.4) is using it for rendering. But there is no difference compared to my older port of GTK 2.6.9.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »