Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Filer question
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Question mostly for Orgin of course, but maybe also other ones can have some ideas.

The question if coming from Fingus thread on aw.net. Where he ask that and that, and among with all the questions/suggestion he ask:

Quote:

1. Is it possible to create something like a softlink to let open filer my DH0:, DH1:..etc content, something like a Amiga File-Window replacement by clicking on the Harddrive-Desktop-Icons?

And that point to me, that integration of Filer to WB can be done just right now, without any waiting, and will be good enough already: All what need its just catch the functions which are handle showing of volume in WB , and redirect volume name to filer. I do not know (maybe some of you know) if it possible by user-wb-settings to change "what to do when user dbl-click on volume" , but from programming view i see that should be very easy to write little commoditie, which will be just catch all the moment when user want to open any volume on WB window, and just do "appdir:filer volume_name:". By this way we will have full integration already.

For now the only one reasson why i still use WB windowses sometime, its just because its a bit annoing to run Filer all the time and think about it, but will be cool if user will just press on volume name, and just Filer will show that root partition.

Also in the last time i see that TSK works heavy with HB, so i think he right person to ask to write such small but good commoditie (if of course i cant change all of this by user settings of WB). Or if Orgin have some time, that will be cool if he can do that as well.. In end of all i can do it myself if noone will have time/interest.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Filer question
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Actually the FilerCX commodity already does that if I remember correctly. You just have to press a qualifier key (CTRL) while double clicking the icon.

It's not 100% reliable though which is why I haven't advertised it much. Not all double clicks are registered for some reason. I've asked for help to fix it but no one has stepped forward to help me so far.

What is does is that it checks if the double click is made on a drawer/drive (WBO_ICON + is path a drawer) and then opens a Filer with that path and then uses workbench.library to close the workbench window.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Orgin

Quote:

Actually the FilerCX commodity already does that if I remember correctly. You just have to press a qualifier key (CTRL) while double clicking the icon.

Yep, it works , but firtst problem is that need to hold ctrl, and second one (most important) is that its still open WB window (and read all the content from) and show the window which lately close, which a bit slowing down everything.

I.e. for example i have WORK with thousands of files, so i just do on it ctrl+db_click, and it spawn Filer, but not imediately as i think before, its waiting while main wb window read content. Not all content, but spawning of filer slows a lot when volume have thousands of files and WB trying to read them. Also even after spawning of Filer window, WB window still slow-down everything by that heavy reading of files, and user loose that "fast work" what he have when just run "appdir:filler work:".

Quote:

It's not 100% reliable though which is why I haven't advertised it much. Not all double clicks are registered for some reason. I've asked for help to fix it but no one has stepped forward to help me so far.

What is does is that it checks if the double click is made on a drawer/drive (WBO_ICON + is path a drawer) and then opens a Filer with that path and then uses workbench.library to close the workbench window.

Maybe goint to other way : catch not dbl-click, but moment when notification or kind happens which mean "show now volume name". By this way you will more deep in system, and not rely on the dbl-clicks.

Also i think will be cool if we (in FilerCX or in any other commodite) can for example "hack" the WB function about opening of window at all: it will solve for first visuallity jerk (showing/closing of window), and second which important - reading of the content of window before closing it. I.e. to prevent WB to open window at all. Its of course hack-way, but well, its better in compare to wait 1-2 year (or more) when hyperion will add Filer in the OS.

Edited by kas1e on 2011/3/29 12:52:35
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

+1

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Orgin
And pluse one more "dbl-click" problem: When i press on WORK ctrl+dblclick , and as it have tons of files, its start to slow-show stuff (and at moment filer not spawns), so , while that waiting happes, i just move mouse cursor of from Work parition, and when after seconds of waiting wb window at least show the content, i not have spawning filer and wb window not closes (because i move mouse from icon). I think its one more problem in reling on dbl-clicks..

For sure if you have motivation to go other route (like handling notification, hacking wb-open-fucntion) in FilerCx, i can annoy everyone to help us with that :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Quote:
need to hold ctrl... its still open WB window

Yes, weirdly enough I already knew all that, strange huh? ;) Perhaps that's because I developed it? ;)

Filer and its help programs are written in such a way that they don't patch the system in any way for maximum compability.

Any 'dirty' patching would have to be done by a third party program/commodity. I will not add any OS hacks into Filer or its help programs.

Anyway, IIRC I tried to get the commodity to eat the second click event so that workbench doesn't open its window. But for some reason, that I have forgotten, I could not get that to work in a reliable way. Either the WB got the event before my commodity did or I just couldn't figure out how to stop the event from propagating down the commodity exchange without also killing all other left click propagation.

Ideally all of this should be built into the double click detection of workbench itself since it's "impossible" to 100% emulate the same detection as it has. Unfortunately AmigaOS does not have a double click event (which is weird for a desktop OS still in use in 2011). Had there been it would have been much easier to do this in a fool proof way without patching the system.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
File notifications doesn't work that way. It will notify a new file, removed file and modifications to files/dirs but not any double clicks or icon clicks or anything like that.

Currently there's a system friendly way to patch file copy, file deletion and Workbench setup/cleanup (after opening or before closing Workbench) with WorkbenchControl() function. (I guess AsyncWB commodity uses those.) But not any icon stuff or drawer stuff.

I have answered also to another similar thread started by fingus.

Trying to make HyperBench turn into Workbench replacement would require patching workbench.library and implementing app icons, app windows and WBRun features at least first.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK
Quote:

File notifications doesn't work that way. It will notify a new file, removed file and modifications to files/dirs but not any double clicks or icon clicks or anything like that.

I not mean double-clicks, i mean "when volume open in WB" and does not matter how it opens, by dbl-click, or by 'enter' key.

Something make me think, that when user open any volume on WB, then system notify by something that "was opened driver". And path exactly that moment, not dbl-clicks, or icons , or drawer.

Quote:

Trying to make HyperBench turn into Workbench replacement would require patching workbench.library and implementing app icons, app windows and WBRun features at least first.

Hm, i am not about turn HyperBench into Workbench, i just about that you as author of HyperBench already know what functions called when user open drawer (in wb), so, maybe you can path in memory that WB function which open the drawer, and just put there "appdir:filer volume_name:". I mean i mention HyperBench there only because of last tests of HyperBench, where you trying to catch notification when someone open any volume.

For my understanding, all what is need there, its just patch some fucntion of workbench in the memory. Without all that app icons, app window and wbrun features (which i think you mention just because of thinking that i talk about integration of hyperbench, but i talk about Filer).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I for my part will try out the icon-scripts instead of the real hdd-icons.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@fingus
If it will works, then better to follow your way :) Visually all will be just the same, but technically will works as we want. Keep informed if that works or not plz

edit: looks like plain change of def_ram.info or def_disk.info on iconscripts do not works (or maybe i just suck there).

But for now have some very ugly solution: in the WB prefs hide all volumes, and make a iconscripts for all of them , then leave-out them on empty WB and snapshoot. By this way visually will be the same, but when you will press on any icon filer will spawns with root direcotry of current volume.

The only problem there is that its just ugly-mess , and functions like "open in wb window" will not works in filer (because of hided volumes from wb-prefs).

Edited by kas1e on 2011/3/29 16:56:55
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Wouldn't it be possible to create a separate "Workbench"-window? I have disabled the Background-checkmark (the first item in the Workbench menu), and thus, have a Window showing all hardrives and left out icons.

Would it not be relatively easy to create another such window (from Filer, or another program) that on double click open Filer-windows.

Basically, one could then hide all units using Workbench prefs, leaving the Workbench area clean, with only App icons on it, and having the new Workbench window visible.

Edit: I looked closer at Filer now, and my suggestion will basically be an option to always keep Filer's root window opened. Perhaps enabling the icons to be bigger, more mimicing the original Workbench window.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin Quote:

I didn't know this, but it does work

@kas1e Quote:
And that point to me, that integration of Filer to WB can be done just right now, without any waiting, and will be good enough already: All what need its just catch the functions which are handle showing of volume in WB , and redirect volume name to filer.

I already have a way to do something like this, with standard OS4.1u2. When I right-click on a volume or folder, the menu includes the option "Open in Filer". Maybe not exactly what is wanted, but it works great for me.

How do it? Add the "ContextMenus" commodity to the Workbench Startup. Then open envarc:ContextMenus.cfg using NotePad, and modify it as follows:

Under the line "Disk,Open,PM_INVOKEWB,ICONS.OPEN" add the following new line:
Disk,Open in Filer,CLI,AppDir:Filer %f

Under the line "Directory,SEPARATOR" add the following new line:
Directory,Open in Filer,CLI,AppDir:Filer %f

Under the line "Drawer,Open,PM_INVOKEWB,ICONS.OPEN" add the following new line:
Drawer,Open in Filer,CLI,AppDir:Filer %f

HOWEVER, due to a two year old unfixed Filer bug/omission, Filer will run at a priority of 1, causing all other programs to freeze when Filer is busy. The work-around is the following script:

Quote:
.key Path
.bra {
.ket }
ChangeTaskPri 0
AppDir:Filer "{Path}"

If you saved this as "Work:RunFiler", then the config lines would now look like:
Disk,Open in Filer,CLI,Execute Work:RunFiler %f
Directory,Open in Filer,CLI,Execute Work:RunFiler %f
Drawer,Open in Filer,CLI,Execute Work:RunFiler %f

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
When I right-click on a volume or folder, the menu includes the option "Open in Filer".

Great idea.

@kas1e
You have misunderstood the whole thing. Notification thing doesn't work like you believe. And you answered yourself. It requires patching Workbench. I don't know how to do that so you have to ask somebody else to do it.

I don't know if this thing requested could be done with icon module ? I don't know anything of icon modules so I'm still the wrong guy.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@ChrisH

ContextMenues starts programs with the wrong task priority? If so then it's ContextMenus that need an update and not Filer.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin
Yeah, I guess you are right. (Did a quick test to confirm this is the case, and it does appear to be.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all
When launching Filer using ContextMenus, if you find that your user-defined button bar is missing images (just showing text), then you need to fix your Filer preferences to use PROGDIR: instead of the current directory for each image. (This is due to AppDir: not changing the current directory, so you have to use PROGDIR: instead of the current directory.)

ALTERNATIVELY, you can hard-code the correct path in the script I posted:
Quote:
.key Path
.bra {
.ket }
ChangeTaskPri 0
CD please-put-your-Filer-folder-path-here
Filer "{Path}"

Go to top

Register To Post