Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

trixie, AndreasM, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »
Re: Filer 53.30 testing
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@ChrisH

Autogenerate will come. I just don't have any infrastructure for it yet. It requires something completely different to the way thumbnails and deficons are loaded.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @orgin
@ broadblues #29
Errm, so you didn't spot the "New" gadget then?

Yep, that's the problem! I started out wrong so I saw the "delete" button and pressed that. OK, with what little brain I have, couldn't figure out-- "New what"? If you don't have anything then 'new' is kind of illogical, isn't it? How about more logic, If I had a list of buttons, then "new'' is going to erase all my buttons. I'm not going that. So, the interface presents me with this dilemma of what to do? In these 'all or nothing' decisions, I usually just quit and leave.

@ orgin
I don't understand anything of what you are saying.
Me neither! Your program is a real 'tripper'! I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner. It's the logic of FILER that I have difficulty with. For example, the "Copy" and "Move" file functions with menu buttons, before you introduced 'drag and drop', had to entered backwards to work, i.e., 'Source'=destination and 'Destination'=source. Huh? What happened to 'From'=source and 'To'=destination; just in E-mail reference. BTW, nice work on the 'drag and drop' file functions' which solved the obtuse button selections. I'm actually 'shy' to use FILER in daily file use. I'm having a problem with confidence.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

Quote:

orgin wrote:
Uploaded 53.30c, which is a developer release and not a final release.

http://openamiga.org/attachment/project/20/filer_53.30c.lha

Don't use 53.29 locale files or you might get string corruptions.

the corresponding preliminary german catalog can be downloaded here:
german catalog for 53.30c

anregungen/kritik/fehler bitte an mich.

regards...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Snuffy

"New" creates a new empty userbutton that you have to enter data into.
"Delete" deletes currently selected userbutton and selects the next one if there is one.
"Delete All" deletes all userbuttons, after a confirmation requester.

About source/destination:

The logic with the default setting is that a button should always state what would happen if you clicked on it (Ie, normal HCI nomenclature). That is, the text "set source" means that source will be set if you click this button.

The reverse option simply turns it into a toggle button that states the mode that is currently active. (Compare to: I am pressed/I am not pressed)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Snuffy Quote:
backwards to work, i.e., 'Source'=destination and 'Destination'=source. Huh?

Try going to Filer's Prefs, and ticking/unticking the "Reverse source/dest button" option.

I found Filer's default behaviour to be very confusing too (although it is that way due to a certain way of thinking/logic). Ticking the above option makes it show Source in the source/from lister, which makes FAR more sense to me! (And I'd bet it makes more sense to most people...)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@anyone

New dev upload:

http://openamiga.org/attachment/project/20/filer_53.30d.lha

- Add background task "Thumber" for automatic thumbnail generation

- Add settings for ignored devices for thumbnails

- Add setting for activating automatic thumbnail creation

- Fix rapid parent lockup

@ChrisH

Can you see if the lockup still happens for you?

When I got it to happen it was when IIntuition->RefreshWindowFrame() was called. For some reason it locked up. Perhaps because intuition wasn't done with the gadget layout, causing it into a race condition. But that's just a guess.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Wow, man, how can you be so damn productive? Thanks for your efforts!

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cha05e90

Yeah, I'm very impressed too. Exellent work, Orgin!
Thumbnail creation works very good, so far.
Maybe toolbar icon, to switch on/off automatic creation, would be good idea?

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@mr2

Ahh yeah, forgot to add something like that.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Great work, getting more interesting for me with every revision

Any change of adding a possiblity to create larger thumnails then 64x64 ?
100 would be nice, but I'd like to choose any size i'd want.
And how about basic operations on the images like rotate ? Possible ?

Thanks !

Martin

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

I have problems to translate:

LOCALE_TAB_MAIN
LOCALE_TAB_ICONS
LOCALE_TAB_MISCELLANEOUS

Please can you look at it ?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@samo79

Hmm, I though I fixed that in this latest upload. Did you try in that one?

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Yes yes trying, problem solve !

But I have another issue in the about page of the FilerPrefs, ill be crazy to use the "FilerPrefs 53.30 (31.1.2010)" variable, how I can manage it as I would like to align it and make it italic/bolder ?

Now my string at the bottom of the window look like:

Form OpenAmiga.ogFilerPrefs 53.30 (31.1.2010)

The about page of Filer instead seems ok

Thanks !

Edited by samo79 on 2010/1/31 22:04:42
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@samo79

That string is from the program version string, it's not managed by the localization files. Done that way so that there will never be a mismatch between them.

I'll check why the locale string is not the same in both apps.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@metalheart

Dunnu, just to do some math for you. All thumbnails are stored in the same size* (64*64) and then scaled to fit whatever size you set in filer prefs when they are loaded from the thumbnail directory.

Letting you select 100*100 in prefs would mean that I either would have to store them all in a larger size or scale them up from 64*64.

Storing them all in 100*100 would use up 2.44 times more memory and take 2.44 times longer to load.

Storing them all in 128*128 would use up 4 times more memory and take 4 times longed to load.

I originally intended to use 32*32 (4 times faster than now) or 48*48 (1.8 times faster than now) but opted for 64*64 since that's the size used by the new icon theme in 4.1u1, even though it's significantly slower.

So sure I could easily let you use even larger sizes, but the question is if it would really be worth it in terms of speed and memory consumption.

* Images smaller than 64*64 are not scaled up so they don't use the full 64*64 size in the thumbnail directory

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Ok thanks

A suggest, if you try to clone a lister in a dir with thumbnails active, the new lister didn't remember its thumbs config (no thumbnails are showed)

I have also some more proposal but they are tons heheh

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

I just thought I would also second the request for support for larger thumbnails as at modern high resolutions you can't really see that they are anyway at sizes smaller than 64x64 so their usefulness seems limited to me. But if could just be I am getting older and my eye site could be better.

I would also love to see a thumbnail grid mode as well if like the "image" view mode under dopus9 for windows if possible.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin Quote:
Letting you select 100*100 in prefs would mean that I either would have to store them all in a larger size or scale them up from 64*64.

Why? Why not just generate & store them at 100*100 when it is asked? If it happens to find a "wrongly-sized" thumbnail, then it can just regenerate that thumbnail.

BTW, does the thumbnail cache check file dates? It would make sense to invalidate/regenerate them if the date changes (say due to someone using a shell program to rotate the picture). You can set the thumbnail cache's filedate to the same as the original file's.

Also, I guess it would be good if it was able to automatically delete thumbnails for "missing" pictures. Not sure if this would be easy for your implementation, so don't worry about it too much if not.

P.S. I am curious - what library/function do you use to resize pictures to thumbnail size? edit: I am guessing graphics.library/BitMapScale().

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/2/1 10:53:28
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin Quote:
Can you see if the lockup still happens for you?

Seems to be fixed, thanks

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@samo79

It remembers it (well, it uses the setting you have in prefs, it does not clone the temporary toggling you have made with the menu or user buttons), it' just that it doesn't use them when being rendered off screen. I'll see if I can find some way of rendering them reliably off screen.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »