Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Yodaphone, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: OWB 3.22 + New features
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magic Quote:
Oh chris, lets see how well you can come with anything better than amiupdate.

Please re-read what I wrote: I was saying I do not trust ANY software/script to update my system. And that would include scripts written by me

Quote:
And saying things like "dumb software" I find actually an insult to the developer and rude.

Sorry, but that was not what I meant. "dumb software" meant "unintelligent software", and since ALL software is unintelligent, I was merely emphasising that as being the reason I don't trust it.

More specifically, I can't know what it is going to do, before it does it. Hence why I avoid Installer scripts if possible, and if not possible then I use Expert mode that (is supposed to but does not always) tell you every installation step.

I think AmiUpdate is a fantatic thing, but I just can't quite bring MYSELF to use it yet.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm being OT here, but just my 2 cents... I'm also one of those who prefer installing the programs by himself rather than relying on third party software. I like to be able to check for every program what files it uses, if it uses a library what's its name, what does it add in s:user-startup etc. I like to have the possibility to rename the drawer of the previous version in case I want to revert back to that version; the choice to install the program in RAM: or on my hard drive for each archive, basing on how important it is; the ability to easily store the archive to have a backup copy in case it will be not available anymore on the net. When I decide to clean up LIBS:, I can easily recognise which libraries are needed and which ones are for programs which I have in the meanwhile removed.

For this reason I don't like the way how programs are installed on e.g. Linux, it makes it difficult to have it under control.

I appreciate the work done on AmiUpdate, I use it sometimes for the SDK as many archives have too many files scattered around the drawers, and I like also that many users can't live without it. It's just that not everyone use and mantain their system in the same way. My hope is that in the future AmigaOS will remain as simple as it is now, and I don't think that an operating system to be modern must be awkward to keep under control and easy to be understood.

Varthall

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I also install mostly manually but sometime i use amiupdate too.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Varthall

It is called AmiUpdate for a reason.
It updates your installed program to the latest version.
Only once you have installed an AmiUpdate aware program can updates be done via AmiUpdate.

This requires two things to have happened:-

1) The user has to have installed a previous version of the program first.
Which can be done however you want.

2) The program has to be made AmiUpdate by the programmer.
There is an AppPath directory in sys:env where the path to your inatlled program is kept.
AmiUpdate looks in there to find the install path.

Nothing suspicious in that, and as Simon & Joerg have already said the updates are kept to the bare minimum, and just the binary if possible.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I don't use Tabs in OWB. I prefer seperate windows. I have already seen it mentioned that OWB crashes if "TABS" is disabled in the ToolTypes. It crashes for me too but seems to work if I select "Continue program" in the GR window. When I went to the OS4Depot Bugs to see if the problem has been officially reported, I found 2 apparently conflicting reports about TABS. The first states that OWB crashes if TABS is disabled and is listed as fixed. The second bug report states (or seems to) that OWB crashes if TABS is disabled and is not fixed. Was there there a rerelease of OWB 3.22 or is this just user confusion?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
The crash with tabs disabled has been fixed, and will be available in OWB 3.23, which may, or may not, arrive on the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 ISO first.

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This is obvious? ramiga+f opens the find gadget (OS 4.1) but activates the URL gadget, every time. Worked correctly in 3.21.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Does this mean that they're both around the corner?

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
The crash with tabs disabled has been fixed, and will be available in OWB 3.23, which may, or may not, arrive on the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 ISO first.

Simon

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

I think more it is like upd1 is not coming 2009 :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thread

This was reported back with version 3.21:

Quote:
And another minor bug:
After I submit a post to a forum here at Amigans.net, OWB returns to the forum messages with my message at the top of the window. The OWB window scrollbar is stuck at that current position. If I drag the scrollbar or click above/below the scrollbar slider it pops back to the same position. If I move the scrollbar with the middle mouse scroll button, it returns to functioning normally.

Still does this in 3.22, and the scroll button still corrects it.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

In my case it's not a case of being suspicious, rather of knowledge of the operating system I use. I like to know what files are installed and what they are used for, and I find it faster to do it by hand.

Varthall

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Varthall

Same here

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Tested 3.22 right now, works fine, but that progress bar in the url place are very-very bad idea (imho). Progress bar it's progress bar, and url bar, it's url bar.

@joerg
Please put progress bar at bottom again :) It's not only unlogical and bad, it's also disallow to works "fast" , becouse when i load one page, i already types new url in the same page, and when loading compilte i can go at time on the new one.

And 2 major bugs:

1. typing of text (right now, in that forum, this text) much slower if comparing with the 3.21.

2. Something strange with loading now. Before (in 3.21) it spawns at second. With the 3.22 it's runs at second, then 5 seconds empty intuition window, and only after that owb engine itself are spawns.

That all on peg2/os4.1 with all latest/public crap.

For now i swithch back to the 3.21.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Varthall Quote:
In my case it's not a case of being suspicious, rather of knowledge of the operating system I use.

My usage of the word "suspicious" may have not been the best choice of word, but my intention was to mean I did not trust it to do everything correctly & not muck-up my carefully configured system. I certainly did NOT mean that I thought anything nasty might be going on!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
Please put progress bar at bottom again :) It's not only unlogical and bad,

Please try out Safari, to see the RIGHT way to put a progress bar in the URL bar, without blocking/hiding the URL - it's FAR better than having it hidden at the bottom of the window!

I'd love OWB to do this, but it would probably require an entirely new GUI gadget to be written specially for OWB. Personally speaking I can live with the progress bar blocking the URL bar, although it might be nice if the URL was (temporarily?) shown elsewhere (say window title bar OR the status bar at the bottom).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks Joerg !!!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

As i read in other threads related to owb3.22 (on aw.net, and there), many ppls (not only i) dislike that "top progress bar". Maybe will be good , if joerg can add option (tooltype or kind), for the making progress bar at top, or at bottom, and then ppls who like one look will use that, and other ones who like safari and alt, will use new one.

I just not say that is pretty suck to see at one time your url, then url is erased, and you see progress line. It's like you broken everything :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Putting the progress bar in the URL has fixed the bug that caused the windon to widen by itself when opening some links in new tabs.

So, I prefer having the progress bar there and not having this infamous bug anymore.

Thanks Joerg

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

Pretty ugly workarounds to fix bugs like that :) It's like "we fix bugs, by broken the normal gui look". If the problem in the OS itself (with that bug about we talk), i hope it will be fixed in the upcoming update ..

But that all imho, joerg do what he want of course.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)