Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 65

TheMagicSN, smf, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

OpenAmiga Ideas (Voice Recognition?)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I was looking at:
http://openamiga.org/index.php?function=viewcomments&threadid=3

And thought about 2 things:

1) For workbench, a way to show the full path in window's tittle bar.
2) A very ambitous project would be to add support for voice recogition (I have no idea if there is any open source readliy available for this).

The draw back I've seen in Windows (or probably any GUI system) is that it was designed with the primary human interaction with a mouse / keyboard. If the primary design was voice activation, I wonder what a computer would be like....anyways just a thought about how such a thing could be implemented in AmigaOS. How can it be done better on the Amiga?

Go to top
Re: OpenAmiga Ideas (Voice Recognition?)
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@my_pc_is_amiga

why not a voice speaking system like macos one?

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

I am working professionally on both, Speech Recognition and Speech Synthesis.

Speech Recognition can be from single word recognition to a full blown dictation system. First would be doable, second is too hard to do it in free time, not neccessarily the engine, but the model files for the various languages.

Synthesis can be done; it's quite some work but doable.
I wrote alleady a Speech Synthesizer for AmigaOS, I just have not a wide choice of voices yet, I am still experimenting with my own one (German). I got samples from a British English speaker who is really good. But I wanted to create an American English voice first. I got some volunteers, but they are not professional speakers, so the resulting voice would also not sound professional. If there are people reading with an educated voice, please contact me.

Edited by Wanderer on 2009/7/13 15:27:35
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:
voice speaking system

There's Flite.

(Edit: I forgot I had analog cables replaced/changed from my soundcard. That's why I thought it didn't work. That was one of those moments...)

@Wanderer
Quote:
There is a FLITE (Festival Lite) port in Aminet:

And it's in os4depot too.

Quote:
However, Engine and Models Files are two things.

???

Edited by TSK on 2009/7/14 0:17:02
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

There is a FLITE (Festival Lite) port in Aminet:

http://aminet.net/search?query=flite

However, Engine and Models Files are two things.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Wanderer

Quote:

Wanderer wrote:
Speech Recognition can be from single word recognition to a full blown dictation system. First would be doable, second is too hard to do it in free time, not neccessarily the engine, but the model files for the various languages.

Nice! Main thing for speech recognition would be for voice commands and to enter text (instead of via keyboard)...so "voice commands" sounds more doable than a full blown voice-to-text dictation system

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There is Sphinx from Carnegie Mellon University. Sphinx-3 exists in a C/C++ version, and there is a Sphinx-Lite which might be more portable(?). I've looked at it, but as usual, I have had no time to really look at it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

Sphinx is a full blown Recognizer, but who should create the model files? This is too demanding for hobby work.

Edited by Wanderer on 2009/7/15 20:11:56
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Wanderer wrote:
Sphinx is a full blown Recognizer, but who should create the model files? This is too demanding for hobby work.

Yes. But they have one for english, right? You can't sell it, but couldn't you use it for personal use? And I've seen some kind of open source collection of speech data. I don't know how much data they had, but its an interesting project.

Would be nice to do some sort of automatic collection tool, so users of the recognizer could collect data transparently. I have no idea of how much data you would need to get a simple word recognizer? For a large vocabulary recognizer you do need a sizeable amount of data.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Wanderer

Quote:

Wanderer wrote:
@jaokim

If someone wrote/ported a speech recognition system, what would it take to be allowed to "borrow" the model files from elsewhere?

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
well, the thing about OpenAmiga is that everything written should be under the Mozilla Public License, meaning that Hyperion can actually ship it with AmigaOS without breaking any laws. And of course not pay for it, remember what kind of market they are working for...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@MoonSire

Not strictly so, the main importance is to not put Hyperion into any legal tangles and make sure that they have unrestricted access to the source. We don't want to repeat things like the narrator device and arexx situation.

Basically the license issue should be looked at from case to case. Closed source is never an option of course, the more restricted the license the less likely that Hyperion will be interested in a particular project. And of course, it's always nice to be able to share source/ideas/examples between openamiga projects without having to wonder too much about incompatible licenses.

@All
Openamiga is looking for people to help formulating the license problematics and what stance OA should have on it. You're welcome to either create a thread here or at http://openamiga.org/?function=viewforum&forumid=10

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post