Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: What is needed for speedup Amicygnix ???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@CygnusEd

Ed
I hope you are not at all disheartened by these discussions. I played around with AmiCygnix last night for ages and the reality it is slower than native programs but not slow per se. It fulfills an important gap for us at the moment. Additionaly this thread is what I love about AOS, exchange of ideas, debate and learning. I hope people who find Amicygix "slow" now fully understand its role and limitations and the amount of hard work you have put into it. There were some good suggestions made and you seem to have some new ideas as well. It would be great if improvement is possible.

Cheers
ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Quote:

Just shooting in the dark: can someone with Sam to set Cygnix/DISPLAY env var to IP:0 (in env:, not envarc: where IP is your ethernet card's IP address and test for speed of local X11 apps?Jack

on sys:prefs/env-archive/Cygnix/DISPLAY
the content of the file is localhost:0.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
@Jack

Quote:

Just shooting in the dark: can someone with Sam to set Cygnix/DISPLAY env var to IP:0 (in env:, not envarc: where IP is your ethernet card's IP address and test for speed of local X11 apps?Jack

on sys:prefs/env-archive/Cygnix/DISPLAY
the content of the file is localhost:0.

localhost is a loopback interface.
The test is to use the address of your network card if youre connected to some lan (including adsl/cable modem).
Typically it is 192.168.something or 10.something.
Use "c:shownetstatus" to figure it out.

Jack

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

What is the goal, finally ???

I said that because netsurf amicygnix work well and render amigans page correctly.
It's just the vertical scrolling of netsurf, with amigans rendered page on, who is slow unfortunately.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Jack

The loop back is always 127.0.0.1 on all computers, 127.0.0.1 is computers local address.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All

- Amicygnix itself load fine and with speed.
- Amicygnix program run fine and with speed (ambiworld, netsurf,..)

- Amicygnix is little slower just for scrolling rendered internet page on netsurf or scrolling loaded document on abiworld.

scrolling is moving with whellmouse, vertical scrollbar or up-down arrorw the loaded page.

As amicygnix use xpicasso96.library and amicygnix use only 16 bit screenmode, I would like to know if someone have some ideas and theory about the scroll speed problem with amicygnix (picasso96, 16 bits screenmode,.....) ???

I ask the question like that, maybe Picasso96 experts have good advice about P96 running.

For me, It's strange that amicygnix is little slower, IMHO, only when vertical scrolling datas on page or when showing menu windows (It's not slow at all for loading and showing the abiworld software on the screen).

I have MCP and solidwindow moving enabled on the AOS3 amiga and the speed of a solidwindow moving on the classic WB who use 16bit is verry verry speedy with P96 V2.1 with 68060/50 on 800x600x16.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
@Jack

What is the goal, finally ???

On previous releases I had some other responsivness-related issues with certain apps, switching the dislpay to ethernet's I address cured the issues.

@LiveForIt
Quote:

The loop back is always 127.0.0.1 on all computers, 127.0.0.1 is computers local address.

Yes. And cygnix (for obvious reasons ) defaults to display bound to localhost(=127.0.01). It can be bound to either local network interface. See paragraph above for reasoning behind the proposed test.

Jack

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Just set up AbiWord and GNumeric on my Sam flex-800 & I must admit they are very impressive as I was able to transfer some fairly complicated .xls spreadsheets from my work PC with no problems....as for the speed, I find it's very usable and don't notice a slow down with the above noted programs though I must admit Netsurf is quite a bit slower than OWB.

Overall great work and looking forward to a game package and maybe a nice database in the future

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cygnusEd
Just wondering wether it is possible to port XSane + Epson2 backend to Amicygnix ? I think, it would be very handy to use a modern (All in one) scanner under AmigaOS... far better then booting into Debian on my SAM and using it from there.
Speed would be also no issue in this application !!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@gerograph

Quote:

gerograph wrote:
@cygnusEd
Just wondering wether it is possible to port XSane + Epson2 backend to Amicygnix ? I think, it would be very handy to use a modern (All in one) scanner

Xsane is a GUI to sane, sane uses various "backends" to access the hardware (parallel port/usb etc.), these have to be written for AOS, so (imho) it won't be just porting..

Jack

Edit: oops, software->hardware

Edited by Jack on 2009/9/24 9:55:26
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@328gts

A games package is already available :

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... /misc/amicygnix-games.lha

It's a collection of some simple games.

If you like AbiWord, you should also try StarDict. It's a nice companion.

Have fun with AmiCygnix!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@gerograph & Jack

Sane could be ported using libusb from OS4-depot. Don't know, how good this library is, but it sounds promising. I will give it a try, when I have some time.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd

As good as it is to have AbiWord working, having something which would finally let me use a scanner on my Amiga again would be FANTASTIC!!

Paul

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

thanks ! checking them out

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)