Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

Chris, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Ibrowse status?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Vader

Yeah, that sounds good - I would buy a OS4 PPC native version of IB instantly...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Did the same team create the iPhone version of iBrowse2?

http://www.slapapp.com/ibrowse2

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Deniil

As Vader eludes to, there is no startup bug - not in IBrowse at least. I believe it has something to do with cache flushing in the 68k emulator(s). IB 2.3 always did full cache flushes, whereas 2.4 does partial address specific flushes (mainly because this is much more efficient, especially on OS4), which may explain why the 2.3 did not suffer startup crashes.

One way or another IBrowse 2.5 will be released, and hopefully sometime soon.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Vader

Bloody hell, I go away for a couple of days and suddenly I see a thread about the only true Amiga browser when I return

I get the starup bug a lot but as you say I think it is because IB is 68k running under 68k emulation. Petunia does still have some problems - the trig functions are extremely shaky though IB will probably not use those.

Great to hear from you and Oliver. I had almost given up IB for dead and had been dreading having to use OWB more and more foten. It is useful for sites that just do not work in IB, does des have a "ported" feel and compared to IBs advanced MUI interface the Reaction GUI plainly sucks full time

I still use IB as my main browser on a daily basis, and OWB menas I rarely have to turn on my Mac (thank goodness - same CPU as I have in the A1 but as slow as pig shit to use). I would like to not have to rely on OWB at all, it is too "ported" for me and not have all the long term niceties that IB has.

Please pressgang the original author to let the rest of the IB team to develop it further - the customers are certainly there waitng for you.

Bill.

Who asked the same thing nicely a good while ago to the original author of DU which is nearing v1.7 for OS4 now :o)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

Quote:
compared to IBs advanced MUI interface the Reaction GUI plainly sucks full time

Sure, if you make your GUI simple and dull, it will look simple and dull.

I'm really tired of explaining that this has nothing to do with MUI or ReAction. Most of the time, it's a question of the particular application's GUI design.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
True, the OWB interface is quite terrible but well, IBrowse is totally unusable without CSS, I really don't understand why in all this time (3 years) developers didn't spent their time in order to add or almost try to add a decent CSS support.

Speaking about core there's a lot of opensource solution out there, why don't use it ?

There are also NetSurf, WIP version (aka 3.0) it's not so bad, well it failt to the middle between OWB and IBrowse but it will progress very quicly and is opensource too

More important, how to collect some money to port OWB from MorphOS ?

it has a great core and a decent GUI

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Vader
Although OWB (v3.15) is good, it does currently lack many niceties that IBrowse has had for years, plus some things are a bit quirky, and it is rather more CPU hungry than IBrowse.

I'd love to see some (partial) CSS support in IBrowse, because other than that I consider IBrowse to be the "perfect" Amiga browser. I wouldn't be averse to paying something, if it would get such an IBrowse released (soon or at all) for OS4.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
...and it is rather more CPU hungry than IBrowse

Only when IBrowse can pass the rendering tests can you possibly begin to compare apples to apples as far as CPU use. Yeah, IBrowse is lean and mean but that is because it doesn't do hardly anything these days. The web has moved on and IBrowse is stuck back in the 90s along with AWeb. Pretty easy to claim it is "faster" when it doesn't do much of anything.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie
I'm sure OWB will always have a place on more complex sites, and no doubt it will continue to improve - but I still suspect that a native IBrowse with CSS support would work well for many sites (and at least for the moment would be a more polished experience).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

> Most of the time, it's a question of the particular application's GUI design.

When Reaction can snapshot all your windows to the size and positioning that the users wants them, I may agree. Until then MUI is far more useful for a complex GUI.

Of course the applications design is important but the designer needs the tools to do the job.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)