Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AmiCygnix startup wait?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sorry to be so basic here. But I don't think this was really covered in the "Cygnix . . . doesn't do anything" thread.

How long should it take for Cygnix to show its screen once the startup script is executed? Usually I get a pop up saying the X-server couldn't be started. Then some time after clicking that away, I get an X11 screen. But all it is is a crudely dithered gray (alternating chunky black and white "pixels") with no real output.

Then if I click back to the Workbench screen and execute the start Xami.bat script, it will finally bring up the actual X screen.

I have an icon out for the Abiword startup.bat script. If that's the first thing to get clicked, the process follows the same pattern described above.

So, in essence:

1. How long should it take for Cygnix to show up?
2. I just installed the 4.1 SDK in hopes it might make a difference, but it doesn't change anything in the Cygnix startup.
3. Note I have no real complaints about using Cygnix once it's running. I mainly use Abiword, and iyt's reasonably fast considering the "dual" environment setting it's running under.

So thanks CygnusEd. This is great stuff.

But is there a way to speed up the startup?

Here's my relevant userstartup settings in 4.1:

;BEGIN AmigaOS 4.1 SDK
assign SDK: System:SDK
execute SDK:S/sdk-startup
;END AmigaOS 4.1 SDK

;BEGIN Cygnix
assign Cygnix: "Programs:Cygnix"
path Programs:Cygnix/CygnixPPC/local/bin ADD
path Programs:Cygnix/CygnixPPC/bin ADD
path Programs:Cygnix/CygnixPPC/X11R6.3/bin ADD
;execute Programs:Cygnix/s/Cygnix-Startup
;END Cygnix

Paul

edited to reflect commenting out 6th line of Cygnix user-startup info. Booting hung up when I tried to do it with the "execute" enabled.

Edited by Paul on 2009/3/7 20:27:33
Go to top
Re: AmiCygnix startup wait?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

AmiCygnix needs about 8 seconds here from double click on the icon to a fully initialized desktop.
Config: AOne XE G4/800Mhz.

I guess you use the script "Start_AmiCygnix.bat" to launch AmiCygnix? Then the problem is, that the X server cannot be started. Please try to launch the server from a shell with:

xgeekppc :0 -screen Picasso96@1024x768x16

You should see an error message if there is a problem.

If you use the script "Start_XAmi.bat", then you have probably installed the XAmi package somewhere and this X server is used for AmiCygnix. This server is limited and slower than the server provided with AmiCygnix.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
@Paul

AmiCygnix needs about 8 seconds here from double click on the icon to a fully initialized desktop.

And if that on a SAM

I installed the base archive and the extra archive and double clicked etc and bang, worked from day one.

I did have the SDK already installed prior to performing the above.

Now I really must get a proper darn printer

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

is ther anyway to use cygnix programs on ther own screens or in window mode in wb ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

And if that on a SAM

Interesting question. Can someone tell me, how long the startup needs on a SAM?

Quote:

I installed the base archive and the extra archive and double clicked etc and bang, worked from day one.

Whow - someone, who has no problems

Is the SDK still working? spotUp told me, that the SDK didn't work anymore after he installed AmiCygnx.

A printer is a problems these days. You could use a postscript printer with AmiCygnix.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@retro

The X server can open it's display in a PIP (overlay) window on the workbench and on a custom screen.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
@Slayer

Quote:

And if that on a SAM

Interesting question. Can someone tell me, how long the startup needs on a SAM?

At least 24 seconds on my Sam.

Quote:
Quote:

Whow - someone, who has no problems

Is the SDK still working? spotUp told me, that the SDK didn't work anymore after he installed AmiCygnx.

A printer is a problems these days. You could use a postscript printer with AmiCygnix.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cygnusEd

I don't have any problems with SDK and AmiCygnix. I uploaded a crashlog of Idesk to os4depot because it crashes quite often on my system.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:

Same harddware here. 512 RAM. Takes about 2 minutes for a blank xscreen to appear tonight if I click the Abiword start icon. But so far Abiword itself hasn't started.

Quote:
I guess you use the script "Start_AmiCygnix.bat" to launch AmiCygnix? Then the problem is, that the X server cannot be started. Please try to launch the server from a shell with:

xgeekppc :0 -screen Picasso96@1024x768x16

You should see an error message if there is a problem.

Using this from a shell, actually nothing happens, whether I run it from the prompt set at the cygnix directory or from the Amiga system prompt. (I've added the Cygnix stuff to the path in the startup-sequence}

Quote:
If you use the script "Start_XAmi.bat", then you have probably installed the XAmi package somewhere and this X server is used for AmiCygnix. This server is limited and slower than the server provided with AmiCygnix.

Since my first question here, I have removed everything Cygnix related (as far as I know) and re-installed from scratch. This time it didn't put ANYTHING in user-startup. I copied back what I posted above and put it in user-startup again.

BTW, that X window that came up when I started this message finished up loading the panels, background, etc within seconds of clicking on the Xami-startup script.

Was Xami part of the 1st gen Cygnix stuff? Otherwise, I don't remember installing any Xserver stuff since I tried Wolf Faust's stuff years ago on my A4000.

Paul

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

a million times thanks.
i havent playet much with amicygnix,but i tryet the x11 thing.. maby i just dident know how to do it..

is it very complicatet ??

i am thinking of making a menu in the start bar with the name amicygnix and then start bat?s to all the program, with a pre setup to a custum screen or maby window mode for some of the small apps, for eath program

sorry for my bad english

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
On my Pegasos 2, it takes only 4 seconds to display the full desktop with full of software's icons. Without the IDE patch, it's a bit slower.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Valiant

24 seconds on a Sam?
Something is wrong with your setup.
Have you got DMA enabled?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It's 7 seconds on my A1SE-G3CXe 600 MHz.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Valiant

Quote:
At least 24 seconds on my Sam.

Thanks! Hmm - that's slow. Are the AmiCygnix programs usable for you?

@daff

Quote:
On my Pegasos 2, it takes only 4 seconds to display the full desktop with full of software's icons.

4 seconds??? Damn - I want a Pegasos 2

@TiredOfLife

How fast is it on your SAM?

@TSK

Quote:
I don't have any problems with SDK and AmiCygnix. I uploaded a crashlog of Idesk to os4depot because it crashes quite often on my system.

Had a look at the crashlog, but it didn't help me much. Could you do the same with an unstripped binary? I'll send you a PM with a link to a binary with debugging informations.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cygnusEd

AmiCygnix only takes a few seconds to start on my Sam440ep. Certainly not 24s.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Paul

Quote:
Same harddware here. 512 RAM. Takes about 2 minutes for a blank xscreen to appear tonight if I click the Abiword start icon. But so far Abiword itself hasn't started.

Quote:

Using this from a shell, actually nothing happens, whether I run it from the prompt set at the cygnix directory or from the Amiga system prompt. (I've added the Cygnix stuff to the path in the startup-sequence}

What does nothing mean? Does the command return to the shell or does it freeze?
I suggest to use Snoopy to find out what happens while startup. Can you post a log here?

Quote:
Since my first question here, I have removed everything Cygnix related (as far as I know) and re-installed from scratch. This time it didn't put ANYTHING in user-startup. I copied back what I posted above and put it in user-startup again.

There is something deeply wrong. Did you use the installer script for installation? Which mode did you use (advanced, expert)?

Quote:
Was Xami part of the 1st gen Cygnix stuff? Otherwise, I don't remember installing any Xserver stuff since I tried Wolf Faust's stuff years ago on my A4000.

No, Xami was never part of Cygnix/AmiCygnix. There was only this startup script for XAmi users.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@retro

Quote:

i havent playet much with amicygnix,but i tryet the x11 thing.. maby i just dident know how to do it..

What do you mean with X11 thing?? AmiCygnix works wonly with X window.

Quote:
i am thinking of making a menu in the start bar with the name amicygnix and then start bat?s to all the program, with a pre setup to a custum screen or maby window mode for some of the small apps, for eath program

sorry for my bad english

There are several way to do this. You could create a special script to launch AbiWord in a WB display.

Example:

Echo "Launching X server..."

Run >NIL: Cygnix:CygnixPPC/X11R6.3/bin/XGeekPPC :0 -pri 0 -screen Picasso96PIP@832x600x16

Cygnix:CygnixPPC/X11R6.3/bin/WaitForX

Echo "Launching window manager (openbox) ..."

Run >NIL: Cygnix:CygnixPPC/bin/openbox

Echo "Launching AbiWord ..."

Cygnix:CygnixPPC/bin/abiword >NIL: --geometry=832x600+0+0

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:
Could you do the same with an unstripped binary? I'll send you a PM with a link to a binary with debugging informations.

Done. (I replaced the original crashlog with new one.)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cygnusEd

Usually between 5 and 8 seconds.
Depends what else is running at the time.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cygnused

Didn't think I'd be coming back to this thread. But a really odd thing happened.

AmiCygnix now opens in a matter of about 2-3 seconds for me. That's as opposed to 2-3 minutes or more before.

Before what, you ask? The router on my home system died. After I replaced it, suddenly AmiCygnix was working like a champ. General surfing was a lot faster, too. But this unintended and unexpected result with Cygnix is just weird! (nice weird, but still weird)

Paul

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »