Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: apps wishlist for AmiCygnix
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@samo79

Thanks for the informations! Didn't know that

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cygnusEd

xmms is a classic music player for linux that has plugins for all imaginable formats.
i bet it handles real audio.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

You are welcome, now try to port it

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@spotUP

All of the RealAudio players that I have ever seen for Linux are closed source.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

Quote:
Do you know a unix program, which can do that?

Totem seems to do that.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@emeck

Totem uses GStreamer and Xine-lib plugins. I'm not sure that all of the plugins for those formats are open-source. If they are, they may be illegal in some countries. Even if they are legal, that doesn't mean they will all work on big-endian PowerPC chips.

Generally RealAudio is available in a closed-source player format with lots of patents and DRM which makes writing a legal player requires an expensive license from Real Networks (I think that's the company name) and doesn't work very well under Linux from what I've heard.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

Oh, then it could require a lot of work and then the trouble of the patents. And what about Helix Player? It seems Real Networks is involved in its development and is open source. But don't known if it does stream RA.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@emeck

Helix Player might work. It lists the licenses of the player on the Wikipedia article. If it's legal, then maybe it would do the job. Thanks emeck.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

You are welcome.
I've just installed Helix Player for Linux. I'll see later if I can listen real audio streamed somewhere.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP

Quote:

spotUP wrote:
@cygnusEd

xmms is a classic music player for linux that has plugins for all imaginable formats.
i bet it handles real audio.

Had a look at the sources and seems not to support real audio .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cygnusEd

How about PySol? (solitaire)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@OldAmigan

Any site that you use to listen streamed real audio? So far the ones I've tried don't work with Helix Player under Linux. It just quits. Hope it can be ported and be more useful under AmiCygnix.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd
Regarding AmiCygnix performance on Sam440, the main speed problem seems to be scrolling - you can see the CPU redrawing the bitmap at the new position. Same goes dragging windows in AmiCygnix.

If AmiCygnix could somehow use blitter-like operations (i.e let the gfx card do the work rather than the CPU), then I think AmiCygnix would be really FAAAAAST.

A secondary, more minor problem is that you can see large parts of GUI (in AbiWord) refreshing when you do something like type text. Ideally it would avoid refreshing stuff it doesn't need to, but I guess this is a problem with the design of AbiWord, and not easily solved.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@emeck

Yeah, I listen to BBC radio. It now uses BBC iPlayer, but I think it still gives the option to listen using a stand-alone version of Real Player.
I thought Helix Player was a Linux version of that (which, of course, will mean it will have restrictions)

Edit: Just looked at the Wikipedia on Helix, it appears to be part open source and part restricted source

(The code is released in binary and source code form under various licenses, notably the proprietary RealNetworks Community Source License and the free and open source software RealNetworks Public Source License. Additionally, the Helix DNA Client and the Helix Player are licensed under the popular GNU General Public License (GPL) free and open source license.

Use of the RDT, the default proprietary Real data transport, and of the RealVideo and RealAudio codecs requires binary components distributed under the Helix DNA Technology Binary Research Use License.)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
FFMpeg (also MPlayer, VLC and anything using the library) now reimplement rv10, 20, 30 & 40 (i.e all realvideo/audio flavours up to "real 10").

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @RacerX
It's a Python application not an X11 app. No, it won't work OS4 Python because we don't have the needed modules like Tkinter. See:
http://pygames.sourceforge.net/README.SOURCE

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@RacerX

Quote:

As Snuffy said, there is no Tcl/Tk or GTK module for Python available yet. So there is no way to port it at the moment.

@ChrisH

Quote:

Regarding AmiCygnix performance on Sam440, the main speed problem seems to be scrolling - you can see the CPU redrawing the bitmap at the new position. Same goes dragging windows in AmiCygnix.

If AmiCygnix could somehow use blitter-like operations (i.e let the gfx card do the work rather than the CPU), then I think AmiCygnix would be really FAAAAAST.

Yes, I agree, the server needs blitter support. I'm working on it and maybe I get some help.

The second problem I cannot solve. It's up to the GTK team to solve this. But I'm afraid they wont, because on a linux system this is no problem.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd Quote:
Yes, I agree, the server needs blitter support. I'm working on it

Great to hear that.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@OldAmigan
Quote:
Yeah, I listen to BBC radio. It now uses BBC iPlayer, but I think it still gives the option to listen using a stand-alone version of Real Player.

Thanks. I've tried it but gives me "Segmentation fault" and Helix Player closes. If it can/is ported to AmiCygnix, I hope it works better

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@emeck

Maybe I'm wrong, but Helix Player seems to work only on Symbian systems. How can AmiCygnix help here?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »