Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
OS4DepotGUI
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi!

I have written a program called "OS4DepotGUI":

Resized Image

It is almost ready for a first public version and I would like to ask (again - I have asked before by personal mail and on aw.net but didn't get an answer) if it is ok to release it. Especially the "Download Changed+New" option will download everything from OS4Depot that's not on the local hard drive. Although it is useful for persons who like to have their local OS4Depot mirror, it might create bandwidth problems. One word and I remove this option.

I would also like to ask for permission to use the OS4Depot logo for the program icon and perhaps a little graphic for the window.

Thanks,

Alex.

Go to top
Re: OS4DepotGUI
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@alexw
Personally I think you should put a big warning on the mass download option and let the user decide. Maybe even hide it in a menu option or behind another requester or similar.

There are all sorts of programs already out there to do the same thing (wget comes to mind) so the only thing you have done is put the power into an easy-to-press button really.

Plus you might want to ask Orgin if there already is some bandwidth limiting on os4depot already. If not, perhaps he would like to add one (e.g. 20 downloads per 24 hour period from the same IP).

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie
The user can always stop the downloading process when he realizes what he has done. So from the user's side I see no problem. I'm just concerned with the OS4Depot bandwidth if everyone decides to keep a local mirror

Alex.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@alexw

It looks very useful.As far as the download all button each user would only need to do that once to set up their local mirror. After that it would just be new/updated files.

What functionality does your program have. Can I set it to update my local mirror to the current status of OS4Depot. Say, if I have been on holiday, etc and have missed over a weeks uploads, and they have disappeard off of the recent page.
Could I do a progressive(?) download, or do I have to download each file manually?

Anyway, great idea, and looks good.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@alexw

Nice looking interface.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@alexw

As for the icons, klesterjr made some icons for me intended for the os4depot CD/DVD. There might be something in there that you can use. Or you can create some of your own from the graphics on the website.

You can download them here: os4_depot.lha

If you want to reduce the strain on the server when keeping the file list updated you can use this url:

http://os4depot.net/modules/apms/SINCE.php?since=1185500479

Where "since" is the timestamp from which you want os4depot to generate a file list from. Just use "0" as the value the first time you retrieve the file list and then use the value received in the <timestamp> tag every following time. The timestamp represents the time, from a server point of view, when it generated the data sent to you.

As for the 'download all' option. Please put some warning requester in it, warning that this will put a strain on server bandwidth. If 400 os4 users started that function at the same time then the server owner is going to give me a hard time. (That would amount to about 1,2Tb of data). So some kind of warning or built in bandwidth limitation would be nice, though I don't mind people having local os4depot mirrors.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop
Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@alexw
It looks very useful.As far as the download all button each user would only need to do that once to set up their local mirror. After that it would just be new/updated files.

What functionality does your program have. Can I set it to update my local mirror to the current status of OS4Depot. Say, if I have been on holiday, etc and have missed over a weeks uploads, and they have disappeard off of the recent page.
Could I do a progressive(?) download, or do I have to download each file manually?

Yes, the "Download Changed+New" does exactly that. Changed files are files that you have already downloaded, but have been updated on OS4Depot and new files are files that are on OS4Depot but not in your local directory. It will download all these and nothing else.

Quote:
Anyway, great idea, and looks good.

Thanks! (Also to PEB )

Alex.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin
Quote:

orgin wrote:
@alexw
As for the icons, klesterjr made some icons for me intended for the os4depot CD/DVD. There might be something in there that you can use. Or you can create some of your own from the graphics on the website.

Thanks! I will see what I can use.

Quote:
If you want to reduce the strain on the server when keeping the file list updated you can use this url:

http://os4depot.net/modules/apms/SINCE.php?since=1185500479

Where "since" is the timestamp from which you want os4depot to generate a file list from. Just use "0" as the value the first time you retrieve the file list and then use the value received in the <timestamp> tag every following time. The timestamp represents the time, from a server point of view, when it generated the data sent to you.

Currently I'm using the FULLINDEX.readme. Using this URL would be possible but not without changing the current program a lot. Perhaps in a later version?

Quote:
As for the 'download all' option. Please put some warning requester in it, warning that this will put a strain on server bandwidth. If 400 os4 users started that function at the same time then the server owner is going to give me a hard time. (That would amount to about 1,2Tb of data). So some kind of warning or built in bandwidth limitation would be nice, though I don't mind people having local os4depot mirrors.

Ok, I will do this.

Alex.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alexw

Looking good. Methinks I'll give this one a try when I get my internet connection back on my A1

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alexw

Shaping up to be a very nice program. Well done!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alexw

Nice program, but does this not kill the most popular download stats per month?

Also it nice if you can add some kind ?lha x? option, download and unpack.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@LiveForIt

The stats will still work.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt
Quote:
Also it nice if you can add some kind "lha x" option, download and unpack.

Just select a file that is not downloaded yet and click on "Open". If you have configured your DefIcons, it will download and open the downloaded file with UnArc for example. Or PDF's with AmiPDF, videos with DvPlayer, ...

Alex.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

If every one downloads every file then all files will get the same number of download count?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@LiveForIt

Yes, but if everyone downloads everything then I will have a very angry server owner gnawing like a mad* zombie on my brain.

*mad, well to be fair all zombies are.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alexw

How about just allowing each user to have his/her own os4depot selection? Basically log everything the user downloads and allow to check just those archives. If the user wants everything, they'd have to download weach archive manually, but only once.

Perhaps that functionality is already implemented. But I would certainly not use the "download everything" option. Who would?

In all other respects it looks like a good program.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@alexw

Why not upload it to OS4Depot? ;)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin
Tomorrow. Today, people might think it's an April fool's joke... :)

Alex.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@alexw
Already 40 downloads and no comments?
I guess nobody tried what happens if the computer is set to another date then... ;)

Alex.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »