Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

davebraco, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »
Re: Mock up of A-Eon website
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
Implementing a download manger is trivial and only takes a few minutes

Sure, feature request for this was added more or less 16 months ago, a lot of few minutes to me

Quote:
plugins are supported already (there are just none). If they'd port for example libgnashplugin.so to AmigaOS 4.x it would work in both Timberwolf and OWB - for displaying some annoying flash ads you could only block again in Timberwolf with Add-Ons like NoScript and Adblock plus but not in OWB

But Flash isn't only spot banners or videos ...

Quote:
Implementing a complete web browser, which would be comparable to browsers like Firefox or Opera, around OWB from scratch would be much more work than porting an existing web browser like Firefox is.

Sure expecially when we can port easily a real and usable OWB browser from MorphOS

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
Quote:
Implementing a download manger is trivial and only takes a few minutes

Sure, feature request for this was added more or less 16 months ago, a lot of few minutes to me
There are even older feature requests I didn't implement yet, and since I consider a download manager one of the most useless features to add to OWB it's at the end of my todo list.
There are some feature requests I'll never implement, for example support for windows and tabs at the same time, even if you repeat them 100 times

Quote:
But Flash isn't only spot banners or videos ...
With something like libgnashplugins.so instead of the Adobe plugin on Windows or MacOS it basically is.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79

Better port MUI4, then OWB from morphos will be ported really very easy. For now that imho only one problematic part of that port - MUI4.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

Wow, it's looking really good now. You've put a lot of work into that site and it shows.

@Trevor

Any chance you'll hire this guy and let him do your site? It's a big step above and beyond what y'all have right now. No offense, but the current A-Eon website is a usability nightmare.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@djrikki

How about my small comment for downloads section:

"For the largest selection of applications and games for AmigaOS, took a look on OS 4 Depot"

->

"For the largest selection of applications and games for AmigaOS4, take a look at OS 4 Depot.
And for Amiga like OSs in general, take a look at aminet.net"

Also, perhaps there should/could be also a page of SW compatibility. (take a look @ the list of Blitterwolf)

(same as post #64)

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
Better port MUI4, then OWB from morphos will be ported really very easy. For now that imho only one problematic part of that port - MUI4.

As I understood it (and I could be wrong), some time ago the author of MUI wanted to port MUI4 to OS4, but some on the MOS side didn't want that & convinced/prevented him from doing so. So I think it is politics that prevents OS4 from getting MUI4 (sadly).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Maybe it will be not so bad idea for now trying to contact with mui4 author, and ask him for the port based on bounty (and ask how much he want for that). Then everyone will only won in that case.

But as i remember (i can be wrong too), that the main problem was not morphos side, but aos4 owners side (like we have Reaction, and Reaction are the best for us, and we not want MUI4 here). But i can be wrong.

I think Fab (if he read that) can say more about.. Or maybe even give us working email address of mui4 author.

@Joerg
So you think, that download manager for webbrouser it's useless ? (just want to understand why you still not add so important stuff).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

Implementing a download manger is trivial and only takes a few minutes, plugins are supported already (there are just none). If they'd port for example libgnashplugin.so to AmigaOS 4.x it would work in both Timberwolf and OWB - for displaying some annoying flash ads you could only block again in Timberwolf with Add-Ons like NoScript and Adblock plus but not in OWB
(For most other things gnash isn't good enough.)

A fair point and most flash content is junk, but still flash would be nice for some websites like BBC iPlayer with embedded video and the like. There's ClipDown for YouTube which is a great tool but still built in flash is important.

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense since they would have less time for other projects. Implementing a complete web browser, which would be comparable to browsers like Firefox or Opera, around OWB from scratch would be much more work than porting an existing web browser like Firefox is.

Ok, can understand that logic. However, I think there is a case for 'starting from scratch' as maybe the end result could be more desirable, more 'Amiga-like' in it's feel, smaller footprint, original features maybe.

I have little programming knowledge, but is it feasible to use parts from AWeb, thinking bookmarking, download manager? Or possibly build the OWB rendering engine into AWeb?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daniel

What do y'all mean by a "Download Manager"? I'm using OWB on MorphOS and it's fantastic. When one downloads stuff a window appears showing the status of the download and everything. OWB shows more information about stuff than other browsers like Safari, IE, Firefox, etc. If OWB was on windows, It would probably be my main browser. I love that one second startup on my crappy eMac. OWB is one snappy little browser.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@joerg
Download manager with support for multiple concurrent downloads and resume is one of the most important features for a big majority of people (second would be top quality favorites handling ).

@
djrikki

Very good now, the only thing I would change is the section where you ask "can I do this and that" on Amiga, and then you list some programs.
That part is very important for new comers so you should build an entire section dedicated to it.

You should ask "what does Amiga offers me to handle, say, images?" and then you put detailed screens like these:

http://software.alinea-computer.de/gfx/arteffect/filter.png

http://software.alinea-computer.de/gf ... effect/arteffect_ober.png

and descriptions.

what does Amiga offers for music (and again quality screens and description)

http://www.hd-rec.de/HD-Rec/pics//screenshots/hdrec_full.png

Don't forget WARPVIEW, for viewing pictures, in never fails to amaze people here when I rotate pictures in 3D

Anyway do that for each type of computing task (including Page Stream for text/DTP, Hollywood for presentations and of course Timberwolf, Blender and so on) that would impress new comers quite a bit!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@koft

Quote:

koft wrote:
@Daniel

What do y'all mean by a "Download Manager"? I'm using OWB on MorphOS and it's fantastic. When one downloads stuff a window appears showing the status of the download and everything. OWB shows more information about stuff than other browsers like Safari, IE, Firefox, etc. If OWB was on windows, It would probably be my main browser. I love that one second startup on my crappy eMac. OWB is one snappy little browser.

OWB is a great browser and I like it a lot. The OS4 version does not have the status/download window you described. Personally it's absence doesn't bother me much, but I can understand why it could be a nuisance, especially with a slower internet connection or dialup. It is pain sometimes when downloading a big file and forgetting, then closing OWB which cancels download without warning, you can't resume from where you left of.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@koft
MorphOS version of OWB, for now, are MUCH_MUCH better than aos4 one (i can say that, because i have on my peg2 mos2.5 and os4.1).

@Joerg
Why just not help aos4 users a bit, and made at last download manager ? You already see, that almost all users all the time ask you about download manager. Maybe you think it's not important, but all users say that is very important.

Personally i from time to time have in mind trying to port MorphOS version of OWB to AOS4, but that MUI3-MUI4 conversion crap are not my cap of tee.. Or what even worse convert MUI4 stuff to reaction, which (reaction) for sure not have something which MUI4 have :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Dang, I didn't know it was different. I don't have an AOS 4 machine. Find out where this guy lives, send him beer send him pizzas! There must be some technical reason the port to AOS 4 is different in this aspect.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@all

Please move the OWB and MUI discussion to another thread. This thread is about a mockup site. Any further comments about those issues in this thread will result in heavy moderation.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DAX

Thanks DAX and all. It would be so much easier if I had an Amiga in the first place as finding screen shots like the ones you posted is a nightmare for atm as I have to resort to hunting across the web. I did fire up AROS for a couple of screenies, but as it doesn't even have 1% of Amiga applications I can only do so much.

I have thought about creating some videos as well, tutorials would be cool, but I am still faced with using AROS. I certainly would not consider pointing a camera at the screen. I am pretty sure I'd be good at storyboarding tutorials and doing the voiceovers. Also free screen-recording software is pretty limited on the Mac, have to look further see how much they cost, not that expensive I would have thought.

Anyways thanks for all the feedback so far everyone.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@djrikki
You can go ahead and make a template of the section I described, then ask here (with 2 new consecutive threads) for help on both screen-shots and descriptions.

The first thread should be made to compile the list and should not be a generic "what are your favorite Amiga apps?" but more specific, asking for the best 3 programs Amiga has for every category.

For example you should ask "what are the best 3 programs for music making?" "what are the best 3 for music listening?" and so on for every possible computing task.
Then sample all the answers and make a list.

At this point you can make a second thread asking for quality screen shots and detailed descriptions for the programs that made the list.

2 or 3 days and you're done

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@koft

Quote:

@Trevor

Any chance you'll hire this guy and let him do your site? It's a big step above and beyond what y'all have right now. No offense, but the current A-Eon website is a usability nightmare.

a usability nightmare?!!?
isn't that a bit over the top?!

It's different, and personally I think it's a nice "gag" as it mimics the workbench..
but seriously, I had no problem to find what I was looking for.
click on the hidden toolbar bar and you have the categories..
easy to find..

maybe it's just me with a contorted mind..

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dax

I did try something similar when Timberwolf was released, but not many people got involved and had to struggle with the few ppl that did help.

ref:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... pe=&topic_id=4005&forum=3

But okay, I will draw up some ideas.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Amigo1

Personally, I really like the temporary A-EON website. (I suppose I would say that). It's quirky, a bit amiga-like and information is very easy to find. However, we will need to update the site and Richard has certainly put a lot of effort into his "mock up"design. Well done.

TrevorD

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TrevorDick
I think the "temporary" A-Eon site does it's job well, which is to stand-out & get people's attention. The unusual navigation system works fine for the relatively small amount of info it contains.

But as the amount of info grows (particularly near the launch of the X1000), and as people make more repeat visits, I think it will need replacing by something more "normal".

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »