Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

bigmac, kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »
Re: Diropus Magellan OS4
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
Perhaps, but it provides an alternative to just sitting around doing nothing while waiting for something that may never come to pass.

Magellan is/was great indeed, but it grows older by the day. It might just be better to build something ground up that is more suitable to todays needs than trying to bolt stuff onto it that it was never meant to handle.

Like I said, I understand your point here but no alternative will ever be accepted by someone who's hooked on Magellan, you know

Seriously, I would rather help with the port of Magellan if that is possible. Only if I knew the status or whatever. Maybe some bounty? But again, there's lack of information, lack of communication... Maybe if Andreas can assign the port to someone else or make it open source, anything? The quietness is killing me.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @AmiKit

Like I said, I understand your point here but no alternative will ever be accepted by someone who's hooked on Magellan, you know

Python is a very powerful replacement, but it lacks a graphics toolkit.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
*cough*

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@MickJT

Download

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... t_id=25503#forumpost25503

... I do need to try Filer again sometime I admit.

Edit: Is OpenAmiga accurate in saying it's "Not finished"?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@MickJT

It's not the kind of project you can say that it's "finished". There's a fully functional release, but there's always room for improvements or bug fixes. If the project was set to finished it would in this case mean that no more development will be done, which is incorrect.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Filer looks great and being apart of the OpenAmiga project I can only hope that when I return to the Amiga scene with the release of the X1000 that filer (amongst other basic can't-live-without stuff) has become apart of the OS release.

:)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi Jan @AmiKit

Seriously, I would rather help with the port of Magellan if that is possible. Only if I knew the status or whatever. Maybe some bounty? But again, there's lack of information, lack of communication... Maybe if Andreas can assign the port to someone else or make it open source, anything? The quietness is killing me.
Too much time has passed under the bridge without actions. I wouldn't support a bounty now or ever for Magellan. Sorry... I think Orgin's 'Filer' is a nice file manager!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I just donated another 26 dollars.
The dopus magellan bounty is now at 3535 dollars. Not much left, let's make sure we reah the bounty soon now!
Donate here: http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/64

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
The dopus magellan bounty is now at 3535 dollars.

That's quite some money. If somebody listed all features of Magellan and I would implement it all into HyperBench would you guys/bounty people pay that money to me ? (No promises, only asking.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Funny, I thought something similiar some months ago as well..

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK
Bounty not only for amigaos4, but also for amigaos4. I.e. for aros , for os4, for mos and even os3 and anything else as well, and ppls donate because of having source which they can build on all the platforms.

Besides, hyperbench will be never magellan, and magellan will be never hyperbench, as its not only about features, but just how everything done including single small moments and stuff. As well as no one will change anything in the bounty which already collect almost necessary summ as its will be pretty unfair to the ppls who donate.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
3.5 grand for some bells and tinsel, jeez, what a complete
waste of resources.

That money would be far better going towards something
usefull like someone to port CUPS or some other printing
system to bring us into the modern era.

Even a couple of new filesystem ports, just something
that is not so utterly pointless.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

3.5 grand for some bells and tinsel, jeez, what a complete
waste of resources.

Not 3.5, but 5.6 instead (5k for owners, 600$ for paypal)

Quote:

That money would be far better going towards something
usefull like someone to port CUPS or some other printing
system to bring us into the modern era.

Port CUPS to what ? To amigaos4 only ? If so, its only for amigaos4, while soruces of magellan for all platforms. Besides, did you see anyone who want port CUPS here ? I am not. No one ever suggest anything about, noone ever say anything about if he works or will works on it, and no one worry about it at all, so why anyone should "better spend money" there ? Where all that better bounties and ppls who works on it ?

To add, in case with os4, Hyperion 2 years ago on amiwest2010 says that they will works on printing system. And because of that noone from os4 supporters even bother about.

Quote:

Even a couple of new filesystem ports, just something
that is not so utterly pointless.

Make a suggestions for amigabounty, promote it, PR it, collect necessary summ, and then found someone (if you for yourself do not want to do it) who will do the work. I didn't see anyone with free time who will do that. You see anyone ?

Its just make no sense to discuss to which will be better to spend money. Everything done in the way to have something intersting to ppls who donate. Not just for checking numbers of $ and then thinking to whatever else is better to spend "if only".

There is a lot of "better to spend" , like:

1) do a lot of more work on filler to bring new features and integrate it to os4 fully

2) make amigaos4 boots faster by loading compessed boot images in the memory, then unpack in the memory and boot from it, not just step by step load modules from the hdd.

3) and whatever else what anyone want.

Just we have no choice to choice in most cases, and at least we can get what we can get, not just think what can be better.

Edited by kas1e on 2012/8/6 8:07:19
Edited by kas1e on 2012/8/6 8:08:01
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
600$ for paypal

Ouch

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Anonymous
People demand DOPUS MAGELLAN II
(in some future Civ game I hope)

Why not having Dopus actively developed?
http://anticusa.wordpress.com/2012/07 ... rectory-opus-magellan-ii/

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I think you can count on one hand the number of people "demanding" DOpus Magellan.

As for writing versions for multiple OSes, that is another waste of resources. The clones have failed to take over the world, there is no point in trying to keep them going. Do it for AmigaOS only and eventually we will get everyone back into the same system.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:
As for writing versions for multiple OSes, that is another waste of resources. The clones have failed to take over the world, there is no point in trying to keep them going. Do it for AmigaOS only and eventually we will get everyone back into the same system.

In a perfect world I agree but the war injuries are deep. At best I hope talented developers on all sides can respect each other & co-operate in joint ventures.
of course users/fans from each camp are another story

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tonyw
Quote:

I think you can count on one hand the number of people "demanding" DOpus Magellan.

Wrong. Its just you have no interest to dig in into the topic and check out what other ppls think. Even on the bounty you can see how many ppls donate.

Quote:

As for writing versions for multiple OSes, that is another waste of resources.

Who say that ? Ppls on other oses think that amigaos4 waste of resources.

Anyway, as we talk about dopus magellan, its not that one will port it to all the oses. The bounty its just to open the sources, and then, anyone, from any amiga or clone os can do with it whatever he want.

You know, 2 developers working together from different oses are better than 1 who close mind and do not want to see anything else that what he choice to support.

Quote:

The clones have failed to take over the world, there is no point in trying to keep them going.

The same can be appled for amigaos4. Even, from my point of view, one of clones are faster and cheaper. I.e. all of them failed t otake over the world, but in compare, amigaos4 not all the time in the best light, and in terms of speed, and in terms of decissions.

Quote:

Do it for AmigaOS only and eventually we will get everyone back into the same system.

I do not know, but didn't you see that "clones" only help in end for amigaos ? That included apps which we can port as well as it show what can be (or can't be) optimised, or can be (or can't be) done. Force yourself to only one OS, and specially do not see what happens everythere , limit knowlege and you stays far from being adequate when make a decissions of any sort.

Sure, we all choice the main OS which we like, but do not be so child to not see what do others, and how it can help. Its just not mature to reject cooperation today and staing in funny pose, when we have per 200-300 users of each amiga and alike os.

But i assume hardcores always will be hardcore, so for them better to think that someday, someone (maybe in year 2025), will do/upgrate/write_from_scratch something , in compare with just have something now, even if it can be dated here and here.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

tonyw wrote:

As someone who has donated I can say that I am not "demanding" DOPus Magellan, for OS4, AROS or any other platform, I am just doing my bit to free up access to the source code for the Amiga community and Allow the binaries to be legally freely distributed to run on 68k Amigas, AROS, Emulators etc.

For me its not that important it is ported natively to next generation Amiga platforms although that would be nice if it were to happen at some future point.

The money being asked is not unreasonable for free use of the source code and a licences to use the name for distribution of binaries for a commercial product of this size.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »