Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4)
Re: Why call to or any "empty" functions can cause different results of the code in which you insert it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Yeah, that surely not shaders itself issue (if i remember right, we have that non working shader with any ogles2 code, and Daniel explain before why).

Our problem now to understand why glGetObjectParameterivARB(shader, GL_OBJECT_COMPILE_STATUS_ARB, &status); fail to set status on the first call.

Probably the only solution now is short the test case as much as possible.

Go to top
Re: Why call to or any "empty" functions can cause different results of the code in which you insert it?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

But couldn't you send a glSnoop trace of this actual failure? I have been staring gl4es code a lot but since I can't be sure what functions are called it's guesswork. For example, glGetObjectParameterivARB call branches either to glGetShaderiv or glGetProgramiv.

According to gl4es code status param should be passed to OGLES2 as such so logically uninitialized value should be coming from OGLES2. But, when I tested OGLES2, surely status values for glGetShaderiv call were set in case of failure and success.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Quote:

But couldn't you send a glSnoop trace of this actual failure?

Sure, there is:

https://kas1e.mikendezign.com/aos4/gl4es/failed_status.txt

There I just run the test case like it was, without anything changed. So it failed to set "status" on the first call bring me errors from that ==0 check part, and then I exit from.

Quote:

I have been staring at gl4es code a lot but since I can't be sure what functions are called its guesswork. For example, glGetObjectParameterivARB call branches either to glGetShaderiv or glGetProgramiv.

I asked pritSeb to clarify a bit about, once he will answer i will post it there.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Ah, finally I understand that the broken shader came from gl4es and not testshader program: https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es/blob/ ... c0d/src/glx/hardext.c#L33

So gl4es is "testing" some shaders and they trigger some errors.

Later on, it seems that there is an invalid enum to glGetProgramiv:

Shell Process 'test2': GL error 1280 (GL_INVALID_ENUM) detected
Shell Process 'test2': OGLES2_glGetProgramiv: program 256, pname 0x8B81 (GL_COMPILE_STATUS), params 0

Now could it be that during status query glGetProgramiv and glGetShaderiv got mixed? https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenG ... /xhtml/glGetProgramiv.xml

https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es/blob/ ... 0de/src/gl/program.c#L955

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Quote:

Now could it be that during the status query glGetProgramiv and glGetShaderiv got mixed?

You mean insde of gl4es ? But then it shouldn't work on Pandora then too ..

Edited by kas1e on 2022/3/11 14:17:52
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Maybe (or rather likely) other platforms are more fogiving for that kind of errors.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Do we know if this works on Pandora?

gl4es seems to think that passed shader object is a program object and then it calls glGetProgramiv with GL_COMPILE_STATUS which triggers GL_INVALID_ENUM and uninitialized status, because "If an error is generated, no change is made to the contents of params." - https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenG ... /xhtml/glGetProgramiv.xml

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Capehill
Quote:

Do we know if this works on Pandora?

ptitSeb says that yes, see from there starts all talks about this issue:

https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es/issues/267#issuecomment-1056543714

(see next answer after that one). And basically check also other posts after this one.

Quote:

gl4es seems to think that passed

Did you mean it looks like a bug in gl4es, which somehow does not happen on Pandora by some reasons ?

Sorry i am a bit lost there, but did what you find anyhow explain why it didn't works first time (on first pass), but works correctly all other times ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

gl4es seems to think that passed shader object is a program object and then it calls glGetProgramiv with GL_COMPILE_STATUS which triggers GL_INVALID_ENUM and uninitialized status, because

Yes, if shader creation and program creation on Amiga side of things (ogles2.library?) return integer IDs that may match (ie. a created program could return ID 1 and a created shader could also return ID 1) then this is likely what is happening and causing the problem.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
In test program print out the the return values of glCreateProgremObjectARB() (data->program) and glCreateShaderObjectARB() calls (data->vert_shader and data->frag_shader) to see what they return.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Georg
Quote:

In test program print out the the return values of glCreateProgremObjectARB() (data->program) and glCreateShaderObjectARB() calls (data->vert_shader and data->frag_shader) to see what they return.

Added printfs:

/* Create one program object to rule them all */

data->program glCreateProgramObjectARB();

printf("data->program  = %d\n",data->program);

/* Create the vertex shader */

data->vert_shader glCreateShaderObjectARB(GL_VERTEX_SHADER_ARB);

printf("data->vert_shader  = %d\n",data->vert_shader);

if (!
CompileShader(data->vert_shaderdata->vert_source)) {
        return 
SDL_FALSE;
    }

/* Create the fragment shader */

data->frag_shader glCreateShaderObjectARB(GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER_ARB);

printf("data->frag_shader  = %d\n",data->frag_shader);

if (!
CompileShader(data->frag_shaderdata->frag_source)) {
        return 
SDL_FALSE;
    }

Result:

data->program = 256
data->vert_shader = 256
ERROR: failed to compile shader (that one because status not set of course)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

I tried testshader on Linux (Mesa) and it seems that programs and shaders share the id pool there:

program 1
vert_shader 2
frag_shader 3
program 4
vert_shader 5
frag_shader 6
program 7
vert_shader 8
frag_shader 9

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
"If an error is generated, no change is made to the contents of params."

Given that, it would be good defensive programming practice to set 'status' to 0 before making the call, so if the call aborts without setting the status at all then at least you'll get a consistent failure, rather than a random result depending on what happens to be on the stack. That would have saved kas1e a lot of time playing with printf().

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@msteed
Yeah that unitialized status value cause loosing few days moving away from actual bug :) Through it was nice to refresh some details.

@Capehll
Quote:

I tried testshader on Linux (Mesa) and it seems that programs and shaders share the id pool there:

Sorry for beng lame there but are it pont us on anything ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

We probably need to check OpenGL ES 2.0 specs what is said about program/shader id numbers. If program and shader IDs need to use the same pool, then it should be fixed in OGLES2. If not, then maybe gl4es needs to be changed.

@msteed

Yes, status should be initialized. SDL2 has some other GL examples that do initialize status variable. I could try make a PR to upstream, maybe it saves some time for someone else.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Capehill
Quote:
We probably need to check OpenGL ES 2.0 specs what is said about program/shader id numbers.

Nothing. ogles2.lib uses dedicated pools which complies to the standard.
But you are right, this is incompatible with GL4ES' glGetObjectParameterARB API. Therefore I modified ogles2.library. From the change-log:

New context creation tag OGLES2_CCT_UNIQUE_SHADER_AND_PROGRAM_IDS.
This is a helper tag to allow APIs like GL4ES' glGetObjectParameterARB to work with ogles2.library.
This API asumes that the shader- and program-IDs generated by glCreateShader and glCreateProgram share the same ID pool. Note that this rule does not apply to OpenGL ES 2 (and not even 3 AFAIK).
When this tag is set to TRUE then ogles2.lib will essentially half the ID-space for shaders and programs and return values from the lower half for programs (ID & 0xFF < 128) and values from the upper half for shaders (ID & 0xFF >= 128).
Note that TRUE has been made the default value for that new tag for convenience. That way GL4ES doesn't have to be rebuild.

Of course I didn't test this at all. A fresh lib build is available at the link which you should have.
If you find this to not work as expected, please file a std. bug report.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Daniel
Tested new lib and yeah no more error! i add for sake of tests "status" to be initialized as "1234", and all fine after first return of status value = 1, same for all other shaders.

Through to clarify was it a bug at all or not ? Just curous why it works on pandora/linux/etc. If the opengles specs have nothing saying about, intersting why they (on pandora/linux/etc) go some "same" route.

Go to top
Re: Why call to or any "empty" functions cause different results of the other code execution ? FIXED!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
EDIT:
It was a specs violation in ogles2 after all, disregard my stuff below, I was wrong.

@kas1e
As I said: there's no word about that in the OpenGL ES 2 specs (unless I'm totally blind). So an implementation may chose whichever ID generation algorithm it may like. There is no rule that shader-IDs and program-IDs are related in any way. Which is logical because there's no critical function like glGetObjectParameters in GLES2.

So it was no bug in ogles2.lib.

It's a bug in GL4ES because it asumes something in its OpenGL ES 2 based implementation which the OpenGL ES 2 standard doesn't guarantee. GL4ES was just lucky so far with those other GLES2 implementations which apparently chose to implement ID generation differently.

To fix GL4ES the following would have to be done:

- glCreateShader and glCreateProgram functions must be wrapped and the IDs returned by the respective ogles2 functions must be mapped to GL4ES-internal shared IDs. Those other IDs must then be returned to the caller.

- in each function which accepts a shader- or program-ID the reverse mapping must be done and then the original ID must be passed to ogles2.

Because it was easy for me to artificially restrict ogles2.lib so that it creates IDs which work with GL4ES, I chose to do so. It also has no performance penalty. Fixing GL4ES is certainly a bit harder than that and would require this extra ID translation.
The bug in GL4ES persists of course, but it doesn't affect the ogles2.lib-code-path anymore so it doesn't matter to us anymore.

Edited by Daytona675x on 2022/3/12 17:40:21
Go to top
Re: Why call to or any "empty" functions cause different results of the other code execution ? FIXED!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daytona675xQuote:
@kas1e
As I said: there's no word about that in the OpenGL ES 2 specs (unless I'm totally blind). So an implementation may chose whichever ID generation algorithm it may like.

I'm not sure and I don't know OpenGL but https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenG ... /2.0/es_full_spec_2.0.pdf in chapter "2.10.1" says:

"The name space for shader objects is the unsigned integers, with zero reserved for the GL. This name space is shared with program objects"

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Georg
Yep, you're right and I was blind.
So, no bug in GL4ES, it was a bug / specs violation in ogles2.lib after all.

EDIT:
Updated the lib accordingly. The helper tag has gone again, now the changelog reads like that:

- Fix: specs violation. The IDs returned by glCreateShader and glCreateProgram were independently generated. However, the standard says that the shader IDs' "name space is shared with program objects", a fact which I overread, grrmbl. For an OpenGL ES 2 implementation by itself this violation isn't really a problem but it turned out to be the source for an issue related with GL4ES:
In std. GL, which GL4ES implements based on OGLES2, there's a function glGetObjectParameters which accepts shader- or program-IDs as first parameter. Now due to this bug in ogles2.lib those IDs were not unique, so that this function was not able to distinguish between shader- and program-IDs, which in turn resulted in nonsense behaviour.
Thanks to George for rereading the OGLES2 specs and correcting me on that, as I asumed a bug in GL4ES here.
Now the the IDs returned by glCreateShader and glCreateProgram are unique in the shared UINT32 number space.

Edited by Daytona675x on 2022/3/13 9:41:06
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4)