Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Old AmigaOS 4 versions and new software
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
When you have found hardware conflict, it need reporting and fixing of course ! But someting make me think that you just on very old RadoenHD lite version, which need to be replaced on latest Radoen HD Lite, or on normal full RadeonHD driver, and there will be no conflict.

No way man, if I was still using the Lite driver I'd be stuck on 1024x768 with no hardware acceleration. I couldn't hack that! But with no compositing it would actually work better!

In fact, it wouldn't even boot. The OS4 OEM driver on CD doesn't even support an R7 250. I don't know what it supports up to as I can find no clear list nor see any models listed in the binary.

I've got the full RadeonHD from Enhancer 1.5 Plus.

Quote:
As you have it now, you can't expect that most software will works ok for you and devs should know that when you report any bugs about anything that your system is combain of all sort of different components from different updates .

Though it needs a crash I find a crash log is the best way to list all versions. Since it logs all module versions in system which is convenient. Be good if a tool existed that could give the same list without needing to crash and save a log.

Quote:
Was it reported anywhere ?

Yes. On the amiga.org MantisBT September last year. Report #803.

Quote:
Did you create already boot iso with latest RadeonHD lite , or with just latest RadeonHD driver ?

With full RadeonHD driver yes but it was before Update 2. So it actually works! I haven't yet patched an Update 2 boot CD together yet and it's pain we can't boot from USB.

I created test volumes on my HDD with fresh install and updates with the latest RadeonHD at the time. All froze on WB. My beta volume is worse as disabling interrupts and compositing doesn't fully fix it. So when AmiUpdate runs it stalls the system. For some reason AmiUpdate is good at killing the system this way.

It's related to interrupts and compositing. Disabling them lets the system boot but it's still not fully stable. There is no crash on serial. So it's hard to tell what is going on. The last thing on serial at boot is changing the pointer sprite and then the system freezes. But, according to a serial logger active tick tool, the system is still alive with the user interface frozen.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mbrantley

Quote:
I don’t see the point of running an older version of the OS on this particular platform.

I can give one.

Okay I can give another other than a hardware conflict in driver.

In the past people kept older version to run particular software. Like an older OS4 where DPaint actually works as they broke it later. Or even when there was better screen mode support for Amiga modes instead of everything running in a tiny 640x480 screen in the corner which isn't even an Amiga compliant size. But that's for a particular use and not a main volume with latest version. How ever there are practical reasons. Such as a user upgraded to FE on their XE then found Partition Wizard was broken. They are only using an XE so don't want to buy this third party package to fix it and why should they? So they keep an older OS4 around to run Partition Wizard which also supports writing to their JXFS volume.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Hypex wrote:
In the past people kept older version to run particular software. Like an older OS4 where DPaint actually works as they broke it later. Or even when there was better screen mode support for Amiga modes instead of everything running in a tiny 640x480 screen in the corner which isn't even an Amiga compliant size. But that's for a particular use and not a main volume with latest version. How ever there are practical reasons. Such as a user upgraded to FE on their XE then found Partition Wizard was broken. They are only using an XE so don't want to buy this third party package to fix it and why should they? So they keep an older OS4 around to run Partition Wizard which also supports writing to their JXFS volume.

Yes, it is very relevant reason.
But isn't more practical and more functional keep on harddrive two or more versions of system?
I think on all AmigaNG can be created bootmenu for OS selection.

For example I have four different system versions on my AmigaOne XE for testing purposes. And couple of them on Pegasos 2 and X1000.

This way we keep old applications working and save the developer's work.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sailor

Yeah is true!

On my AmigaOne XE I used 8 or 9 AmigaOS4 boot iterations.

But for some reason only worked few,probably 2 or 3.Don't know why.

My AmigaOne XE is broken (I burnt the HD) and need some repair.

Who knows maybe in the future? Let's hope yes

I love Amiga NG

And this was when AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6 was ruling the Amigacamp

Edited by MamePPCA1 on 2022/11/21 20:45:38
Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
One approach is to develop for the latest libs etc and make sure that is stable, and then, if you have time, make a version for these "special" users.

If it is going to make things more complicated, I think there no reason not to ask for some money because they ask for something you initially didn't intend to support.

I am not a coder but my 16+ years in the PC/Console games industry, I do have a fair knowledge about developement and there is a reason Coders have the highest salaries compared to regular artists like myself. :)

Current Amiga computers: Vampire V4-SA, Sam460ex, A1-X5000/020
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sailor

Quote:
Yes, it is very relevant reason. But isn't more practical and more functional keep on harddrive two or more versions of system?

Yes. I do. I have my main system, some extras for testing and others I've added that serve as a clean install as well as a backup of my system before it's updated.

Quote:
I think on all AmigaNG can be created bootmenu for OS selection.

For example I have four different system versions on my AmigaOne XE for testing purposes. And couple of them on Pegasos 2 and X1000.

Yes but it's not full automatic so needs some setup. The XE is hardest as you need to combine all the Kickstarts by hand in one file and also move them into one volume. Then create a link for each volume to that Kickstart so they can be updated. It's a bit of work. And you have to make sure the loaded Kickstart matches the Workbench so BootDevice is needed. There's no tool I know of that can do it so it's all manual work. I did it again earlier this years for one extra volume on my XE and I must have rebooted five times in a row with a broken Workbench as I kept forgetting some step.

The X1000 is way easier since all the Kicklayouts are combined into one boot menu. Still have to ensure the Kickstart matches Workbench. I found after backing up my Workbench it was booting another Kickstart as it needed some CFE variable set to boot off the same one. This is almost a 20 year old problem and it should have defaulted to Workbench Kickstart was loaded off. I recall the XE had this issue and kept throwing up a screen about not finding Workbench after loading Kickstart from the same volume. It didn't make sense!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)