Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: List of where to buy AmigaOS 4.x systems
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geennaam

Agreed, but the MicroATX format would still fit the bill for such a board.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@geennaam

And there should be drivers allready available so that is not a showstopper.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@benny

Exactly, less availability of hardware version = less drivers = less issues.

What could be always on the mobo: LAN, SATA, sound card, possibly integrated gpu that could run AmigaOS4.1 with Compositing effects.

Sam460 format would be sufficient to add extra expansions. Now, I have to add what easily could be on board already, and I still payed for it 🤔.

Considering issues owners of AmigaOS have with easy solutions (closed) would be better. It's not like giving me a choice of gpu created any speed improvement, from Radeon 5450 to rx550 speed graphics is basically identical under AmigaOS and as far as 3D can't tell any difference, since Sam460 limitations will cripple any GPU. It could probably have Radeon 9250 and would work similar.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@benny

At any rate, what we need is a design that is as simple and standard as possible, like what geennaam has suggested. Only then can you keep the production price reasonable, given the low quantities. One other important aspect is that such boards would be easier to diagnose and repair in case of a failure. Ever been wondering why so few users have been successful in getting their NG machine repaired? That teaches us for believing that a custom design containing non-standard stuff (such as the Xena/Xorro) is what defines the Amiga. We should learn from that lesson.

The Sam460LE is certainly a step in the right direction. Too bad it's a dated design, based on a machine that wasn't ACube's best model.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixieQuote:
trixie wrote:@geennaam

Agreed, but the MicroATX format would still fit the bill for such a board.

No problem - try Kas1e's MicroATX solution for X1000 here from time 7:10

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@PixelHiQuote:
PixelHi wrote:@benny
What could be always on the mobo: LAN, SATA, sound card, possibly integrated gpu that could run AmigaOS4.1 with Compositing effects.

Other why not, but NEVER INTEGRATED GPU.
Micro A1-C is today very limited with Radeon 7000 + 32 MB VRAM, some games cannot be run, Warp3D Nova is totally no way here. And in 2004 it was fine card, and 32 MB was standart.

Also Mac Mini is limited, mainly due to low VRAM size, etc, etc...

AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@PixelHi

This is exactly te opposite of what I am suggesting.

Consumer grade components have a longevity of up to 5 years. In other words, they are obsolete maybe even before you've finished development. There are exceptions in areas where development has stopped. Like HDaudio chips, ATA chips etc. But those areas are at risk as well. ATA is being replaced with NVMe. HDaudio is replaced with USB audio. So give it another 5 years before you can only find refurbished ones.

Ethernet and USB are part of the PPC SoC. So it makes sense to have them on-board. USB and GBe are here to stay for a while.

Also the price tag is much higher due to low quantities.

And some are not even available to us because of the same low quantities.

So better use off-the-shelf PCIe cards than consumer grade components.

Drivers have to be written anyways, no matter the location of the components.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sailor

Tell this to anyone who using a laptop 😋.

Im saying that this GPU would be a good starting point, that would allow computer use. There still would PCIE.

Right now when I want to use rx550 I'm loosing access to the Uboot. If there would be even terrible integrated gpu I wouldn't care about Acube doing updates to Uboot. When Acube will stop doing updates using of new cards will even more difficult, somone can develop driver for it but not be able to update Uboot.

Now i need to keep 5450 in drawer basically forever, I would rather have it integrated on board, and I forgot I think Amiga os4.1 is using what 256Mb vram max "at the moment".

I completely don't care about refurbished /used electronics. Basically every computer I build was with used parts. Good luck finding new sound card in a few years, integrated solutions took over even thus SATA on pci?

Either way, it's it is what it is and considering it was like that for last 25 years it will not change 😏. Not like PPC its not dead.

BTW. I would not care if someone would develop mobo where you can solder used G5 cpu 😏. It would be very Amiga like, we should stick to our traditional ways...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@PixelHi

Quote:
It would be very Amiga like, we should stick to our traditional ways...

I wish people would stop saying this. It's like telling a fifty-something they should behave the way they did in their twenties.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

Isn't that what we all should learn? SMD soldering? 😋

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
It becomes a little boring.

Original thread is: List of where to buy AmigaOS 4.x systems

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sailor

I agree... but, and this is what I stated earlier in this thread. If you want to buy an AmigaONE X5000/020 from GGS-Data... contact Gunne (the owner of that company) and verify it is in stock, because when I ordered, it was listed in stock, but it was not in stock.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
If you are in Europe I would go for Amedia.
They can assemble an 5040 for you based on your request what you require.
I got mine last november ('22) and maxed it out fully.
I'm very happy with that machine.

Alinea can also deliver X5020 for the German market.
But they only deliver a fixed configuration.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Since obviously our submitted news from yesterday morning has not been published yet, I want to point out to our article on Amiga-News.de: we have gathered information where currently to buy OS4 hardware:

https://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2023-06-00064-EN.html

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / AmigaOS 3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sananaman

I got my X5000 5040 from Amedia as well and I am in the US. Honestly I was just excited to actually be able to get one. It cost me more than a top of the line PC, but I love the experience so far. It has been worth it. I had them build the system for me and it has been great. Did have a problem with the video card in shipping, and had to buy another, but Amedia is taking care of that for me.

I recommend reaching out to them if anyone is looking for a system as they will guide you through it and will ship internationally.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@PixelHiQuote:
Considering issues owners of AmigaOS have with easy solutions (closed) would be better. It's not like giving me a choice of gpu created any speed improvement, from Radeon 5450 to rx550 speed graphics is basically identical under AmigaOS and as far as 3D can't tell any difference, since Sam460 limitations will cripple any GPU. It could probably have Radeon 9250 and would work similar.

An HD6450 obliterates a 9250 in compositing on a Sam Flex @ 733Mhz.

http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/index.php/ ... eturning-to-middle-earth/

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)