Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: AmiUpdate connection error
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@niels

Thanks for your help as ever, but I this is still not clear to me.

Are you saying that in order to get CopyStore, I must have somehow known about this link you posted. That I must manually go to that Web page, download the lha and install that archive?

Why not just have it accessible through AmiUpdate?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

If AmiUpdate (some version) has been installed correctly on your system, it will have CopyStore (some version) in the same directory.

If it's not there, there is something wrong with the installation, and the safest way to fix it is to start with a known good version (the aforementioned 2.47), install and configure that, and let it update itself (the full package) to the current version(s).

Also, there have been some versions (earlier than 2.47) of AmiUpdate which had issues with updating itself, but they are known to have been solved in 2.47.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Hi. Okay, I can see "CopyStore" in the AmiUpdate directory. What I cannot understand is that I downloaded some program/lha whose installer was invoking "CopyStore" like it would be accessible through the PATH. This is not the case. The AmiUpdate location is not on the PATH; it could be, for sure, but that seems non standard to me.

If CopyStore is a useful tool, then - again - why does AmiUpdate not allow you to just click on some package that installs its binaries to something like SYS:C and keeps them up to date? Or, am I thinking to much of a package management system here?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

Rigo should probably answer this himself for the sake of precision, but AFAIK, AutoInstall scripts are supposed to be executed only from within AmiUpdate, so calling CopyStore will find it in the current dir of AmiUpdate.

It's a design decision.

I wouldn't necessarily have made the same one, but it does (normally) get the job done.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I guess since the rollback system is tied into to AmiUpdate exclusively then this makes sense. I was just a little confused by it.

My opinion is this though. Once you need to rollback your AmigaOS4 system, you might as well re-install the entire thing. That is possibly not shared by others though. But, for that reason, I just searched and replaced CopyStore with Copy in that script.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
We are missing a unified package management system though!

It is so easy for even an intermediate user to install something and click on proceed, proceed etc, without realising that the installer will overwrite some library, or resource with a LOWER version.

This is why I never trust clicking on "NOVICE" for installations!

Again, the reason why a UNIFIED package management system is required. One that can handle dependencies etc.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Why? AmigaKIT is planning to replace all Hyperion parts.
yes it messy now, but it’s not always going to be like that.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I make nightly backups ...

(and I don't install Enhancer stuff - except the graphics drivers, and what I absolutely need for testing my translations, and never anything that replaces OS4 originals).

:shrug:

@rjd324

Quote:
But, for that reason, I just searched and replaced CopyStore with Copy in that script.
You don't need to do that. Just set the preferences to not enable the rollback feature, then CopyStore acts as a regular Copy.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@rjd324Quote:
rjd324 wrote:

It is so easy for even an intermediate user to install something and click on proceed, proceed etc, without realising that the installer will overwrite some library, or resource with a LOWER version.

This is why I never trust clicking on "NOVICE" for installations!

This is purely down to people not knowing how to write Installer scripts.

There's a copylib function which does version checking. This should *always* be used for 3rd party libraries, and can be used for executables or anything else containing a version number too.

Novice mode will *never* overwrite older versions when using this function.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)