Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

imagodespira, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Samba for Idiots Guide?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
*** UPDATE ***

Folks the Samba Idiots Guide can now be found at:

http://sambaforamigaos.wordpress.com/

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Hmm the PC troubleshooting page appears to be short on text. I will do a compare later.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
djrikki - the following text needs to be added to the bottom of the graphic on Windows - Troubleshooting

Quote:
Click on Users folder icon, then from right window, select guest account, Check it is not disabled (has a red circle with an x next to the user face Icon). If it is disabled, right click on user guest, then select properties, Untick "Account is disabled" and for good measure tick "Password Never expires" even though one is not set.
Whilst you are there select from the top menu in that window, Action > New User.
As shown in the example above, Add entries for your Amiga systems, and add a password too, it will be needed for smbfs later.
Once you are done, Reboot your PC.

EDIT: In addition - can anyone host the german language version?

http://web.archive.org/web/2007080714 ... igaworld.net/index_de.htm

Mikey C

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
- Am I right that the german variant is OS4-only?
- Wouldn't it be possible to incorporate it into djrikki's wordpress site?
- Or make a "sambaforamigaos-de.wordpress.com" setup?

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Anything is possible, I am happy to help out with the odd bit now and then, etc, but I can't muster the enthusiasm for the whole thing anymore.

Sorry, I think its old age.

Mikey C

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi,

Not sure how to fit a language selection like would be required into Wordpress. Its very easy to add a new set of pages, but of course the menu running across the top would have to reflect the language selection and with this being a free hosting solution from Wordpress there is no opportunity to add any plug-ins that may be out there to satisfy this demand.

If there is a demand for a german version of the site it would best if someone volunteered to start a new blog/site and then I could just link to it from the English version.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MikeyC

Added that info, hope its correct!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

djrikki wrote:
@MikeyC

Added that info, hope its correct!

If I wrote it back then. It probably is. :)
- thanks for your efforts if you hadn't stepped in, it would have been lost for good.

Now if only a bounty could be setup to bring a more modern version of Samba for OS4 to use with win 7 and mac OSX lion. - who knows I might do the guide for that version too!

Mikey C

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Someone correct me if I am wrong, the problem is Apple removed Samba support from OS X Lion due to licensing changes. As for Win 7 not a clue.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C
Quote:

Yes, it is. Nevertheless it is still very useful (and used!) for purposes like connecting to a NAS or Linux system or connecting Amiga's to each other.

And every now and then someone is still asking for help in regards of networking Amiga's with SAMBA/smbfs. Both work fine with all my setup's (see sig.) - three of them running a SAMBA server installation, they can access each other transparently via SMBFS, no need to fiddle around with a FTP clients etc. pp. The only system that might overcome the SAMBA/smbfs combination is Envoy - but not everyone has this software and it can't be purchased anymore (except ebay, of course).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
MikeyC:

Quote:

cha05e90:

Quote:
Yes, it is.

Lol... how blunt. I remember meeting MikeyC at VCF I don't think he is that old - or at least I hope not as I don't think I am that far behind him - being 35 myself.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
You are correct, there is no samba support in MacOSX Lion, however there is still a mac port for it. The OS no longer comes bundled with it.

I believe that Windows 7 still has Samba support but the version of Samba is much higher than the one we have for AmigaOS.

Mikey C

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

djrikki wrote:
Hi,

Not sure how to fit a language selection like would be required into Wordpress. Its very easy to add a new set of pages, but of course the menu running across the top would have to reflect the language selection and with this being a free hosting solution from Wordpress there is no opportunity to add any plug-ins that may be out there to satisfy this demand.

If there is a demand for a german version of the site it would best if someone volunteered to start a new blog/site and then I could just link to it from the English version.

What about having a second Wordpress account for the German one - that way, you can link to the German one from the English menu and vice versa without having to include both languages...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
(Old) MikeyC said:

Quote:
You are correct, there is no samba support in MacOSX Lion, however there is still a mac port for it. The OS no longer comes bundled with it.

Didn't know that, gonna have to google it.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

djrikki wrote:
MikeyC:

Quote:

cha05e90:

Quote:
Yes, it is.

Lol... how blunt. I remember meeting MikeyC at VCF I don't think he is that old - or at least I hope not as I don't think I am that far behind him - being 35 myself.

add another 11 years mate
- You youngster you - run along now

Mikey C

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:

I believe that Windows 7 still has Samba support but the version of Samba is much higher than the one we have for AmigaOS.
I believe you also need Win 7 Professional or higher, the Home edition won't connect to Samba, or let you set up SMB shares to connect to with SMB-FS. (It also won't allow you to connect to it with RDesktop, BTW).

I was planning to upgrade my wife's Win7 Home to Pro or Ultimate and see if I could get it working again, but haven't had time yet.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ok, I just downloaded and archived the german version of the guide and working at the relaunch (possibly preliminary on my own site).

@djrikki
Stay tuned - I'll post you the link to the german guide, so you can put it into your Wordpress weblog.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It's done, the german version of the OS4 related Amiga Samba Idiot's Guide can be found here:

Amiga Samba Idiot's Guide (Deutsch)

@Richard: You have mail!

Edited by cha05e90 on 2012/2/27 13:13:52
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks Frank, I've done it - a link clearly appears now on the front page.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »