Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

BillE, VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Qt status
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@afxgroup

Great mate!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@alfkil

No probs, I'll wait for an official build/SDK.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
ok.. i have used linux to compile qt and all is working correctly.
Let me compile the lib and i'll put somewhere

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Here it is:

http://www.amigasoft.net/misc/libQtScript.lha.lzh

i've only tested the hello world example and "it seems" to work..
Another one starts but i don't understand if it works or not..

All other changes/fix are on sourceforge

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Resized Image

a simply hex editor

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup
Hex editor looks nice. How fast it works in terms of rendering and mouse/keys responsivity ? I remember when i checked QT samples and QT itself on my peg2, it was a bit slow here and here, and some apps was just un-usable because of slowneses.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
one word... slow...

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@alfkil

regarding of slowness I tryed the JuffEd released on AMiNet and was REALLY slow... :(
Nothing comparablel on the FAST Annotate that I use...

You cant do anything about that?
If the speed of the apps compiled with Qt was that unfortunatelly we cant use any of that...
And I've tryed Juffed on my Peg2@1131........I dont imagine how ti works on Sam@667...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tuxedo Quote:
regarding of slowness ... You cant do anything about that?

My understanding is that this is down to our MiniGL, which is too limited, and so it falls-back to do everything with software rendering. When we get AmigaOS4.2 (hopefully) with Gallium3D+Mesa (*), then QT stuff should be much faster, because it can be hardware accelerated.

(* = Gallium3D will probably not work on old graphics cards like the Radeon 9250 & the one that is built-in to earlier Sam440s.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

That is correct!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@alfkil & ChrisH

mmm...
that wasnt so good news since:

- Sam440ep cant get faster gfx if in tiny cases...
- Pegasos2 users cant use any HD PCI gfx cars AFAIK

So that was really not so good news...
Hope that Hans/Hyperion will give us some way to sole that troubles...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tuxedo

That wellknown :)

As they all (rogue,hanz and others) say before, there will be no more minigl updates, and no work will spend on it, but to the gallium/mesa instead, and so, all the users who can't use radeonsHD will be out of luck.

So, sam440ep with tiny cases should change their cases , pegasos2 users should blame Bplan/Genesi who do not want to update firmawer (because of what all problems happens), and classic users also out of luck of course.

The only what can be done, its found someone who will update minigl (its open source, so anyone can do that), and so alfkil can recompile all the stuff and all will works fast. As far as i remember, alkfil even found what exactly wrong in minigl, he just not want to loose his time on it. Maybe if we can convince him somehow ?:) At least to support users who will stuck with minigl even after gallium release :)

Through, should to add, that not all the QT apps are slow, some of them are fast. And at the very first versions QT was fast enough, just after more fixes/updates its start to be slower (if i remember righ when minigl was introduced to work)

For now imho to avoid wasting of time and resources, better to make QT works without bugs, with full support of everything and so on, and then, if gallium with mesa wtill done and will works fast, then QT can use it and will works fine.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Just a note: MiniGL uses Warp3D, and Warp3D is missing some functionality (frame buffer objects) which does, that Minigl will not be able to render Qt stuff at full speed. So the problem is not only minigl.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
The only what can be done, its found someone who will update minigl (its open source, so anyone can do that), and so alfkil can recompile all the stuff and all will works fast. As far as i remember, alkfil even found what exactly wrong in minigl, he just not want to loose his time on it. Maybe if we can convince him somehow ?:) At least to support users who will stuck with minigl even after gallium release :)

Well at this point i think it would be better to update the Pegasos 2 firmware (so you can use a Readeon HD and then Gallium on it) instead to get crazy with the MiniGL optimizations, split the OS4 forces to support old standard while other will use new one and so on it sound a bit unlogical ...

Also as Alfkil say not all problem is related to MiniGL, about speed i will suspect Warp3D first, so following your way we might need other developers to "fix" Warp3D aswell ...

At the end the logical way imho is to try to update the OpenFirmware on Pegasos 2 instead, i think it's open source right ?

So where is the problem, we doesn't need Genesi to do that ...

About classic hardware we will see, for me it's a real miracle that we have support for such machine so getting QT on them might be not a real priority (altrough important), but knowing the Amiga community i'm quite sure that one day we will see a Readeon HD attached to a classic hardware

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Aniway on "The State of OpenGL" article from Rogue written in last spring there are some indications of how the new 3D implementation will run under AmigaOS 4.2, this part is in particular quite interesting to read:

Quote:
The internal driver interface is designed to be usable with or without Gallium3D. Obviously, the focus of our work will be Gallium-based, but what if there is a graphics card that does not support the required level of shader support to be able to work with Gallium? For this purpose, opengl.library (the central hub of the OpenGL system on AmigaOS) is able to load and operate drivers that only provide a minimal set of internal functions plus the required entry points for OpenGL. That way, it is possible to use a Mesa based driver, or even a completely custom driver, for hardware that is not supported by Gallium3D.

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=290

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Quote:

Well at this point i think it would be better to update the Pegasos 2 firmware (so you can use a Readeon HD and then Gallium on it)

That not matter of user's wish, its bplan/genesi not update their firmwares, so there is nothing what users (or even 3d party coders can do).

I mean pegasos2 will never have ability to use radeonhd drivers and gallium/mesa, until bplan/genesi will do necessary fixes in their firmwares. Hanz already tryed to ask them few times to do that, but they just can't.

User with name "Reth" also contact with them, and their answer was:

Quote:

Currently they are not planning to update the firmware since this would require testing all mainboard revisions against hundreds of different accessory parts (memory modules, GFX cards, etc.

In brief, that mean that pegasos2 users our of luck and only minigl for them.

Quote:

particular quite interesting to read

That all only in theory looks nice. I mean you also will need to write a proper drivers, you also will need a 2d driver over which gallium will works (and if your system can't use radeonhd driver,then you can't use gallium ).

In other words, pegasos2 users should be prepared that they will have no ability to use gallium, fast-working QT and other new-opengl based stuff.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Stupid corporate entities...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfkil
Yep, usuall stuff .. Maybe they will open sources of their firmwares someday, or someone can convince them to do this, but as usuall better to prepare for HW change if one want galliim/fast qt

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
That all only in theory looks nice. I mean you also will need to write a proper drivers, you also will need a 2d driver over which gallium will works (and if your system can't use radeonhd driver,then you can't use gallium ).

AIUI there will be a Warp3D "driver" for old cards.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »