Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Reaction OWB better than MUIOWB?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hello,

Since one month now, I tried again Jörg's Reaction OWB and I find it to run very nicely: crashes are rare and it's faster than MUIOWB (Sam460, Update6).

So I think I switched completely now

Thanks Jörg for your work.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Re: Reaction OWB better than MUIOWB?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Mmm faster ?
I don't know, MUI OWB on my system have for sure a better scrolling compared to any Reaction version around, also latest 3.32 have an issue that tend to block the entire GUI for many seconds, not to mention the removal of the "show source" functionality ...

Best Reaction version for me still the older 3.31, however after a while i stopped to use it aswell once kas1e ported the more complete Fab version

I wonder if we will have further release, even because as usual the source was never released and Joerg disappear without any apparent reason (as usual again)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I was too huge fan of MUI-OWB but since a few days I reverted using OWB 3.32 from Joerg and I must admit that, even if I miss some functionnalities from MUI-OWB, I apprecitate its stability over MUi-OWB (well, Kas1e's port of MUi-OWB since with the latest, I randomly get some crashes without any apparent reason, which is not the case with RA-OWB).

And I encounter the same freezes (GUI freezes for some seconds) from both ones.

Used with ClipDown and OWB AdressBook, I find them as easier to use.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I never "switched" to MUI OWB, Jörg's OWB is still my main browser in version 3.31 (!!!). Enhanced with Clipdown and OWBUtilities.

It's often faster (at least it feels faster), more stable and has the faaaaar better font rendering than any other AmigaOS browser. Netsurf 3.0 is the second browser I use regularly - it performs nicely with my low end AmigaOS 4.1 system (Sam440ep).

Edit: Oops.

Edited by cha05e90 on 2013/6/25 14:30:02
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cha05e90

same here :)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
Netscape 3.0 is the second browser I use regularly

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

cha05e90 was probably caught in some time disruption that changed the Netsurf name in his mind.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I do not know how it feel faster, because muiowb clearly faster when scroll big fat pages. I do compassion some time ago, and even make a video to show how speed is different on facebook (where muiowb was a lot faster at that time). Maybe gui itself feels a bit faster, dunno, but in theory muiowb should be faster in rendering all the time (and it was like this in practice).

As for "lately i have crashes", then if muiowb is the same, but one start to have new crashes, then its not muiowb fault imho, but some other components. Depends also what kind of crashes : if they in webkit, then some pages changes which cause crashes with old webkit code, if crashes are gui related, then its mui updates, if crashes kernel/system related, then its new updates which cause that.

And as for font rendering : there is ra-owb for sure better. I always like it myself, and i never like that sucking boring boredom with fontconfig.

Sadly that Joerg wasn't in interest to make all those download managers and co.. He was sure TW will be done fast, and will works fast, but well ..

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:

Sadly that Joerg wasn't in interest to make all those download managers and co.. He was sure TW will be done fast, and will works fast, but well ..

All this was a rather poor excuse on his part, IMHO. Had he released (or at least handed over to someone else) the full source code after he dropped OWB, we would now have a much better browser with a much more developed user interface. How long would it take me to write a proper, integrated address book - a weekend or two?

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Ask him how much $$$$ for the sources or adding features??

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

Quote:

Ask him how much $$$$ for the sources or adding features??

If he wanted money for making the sources available, surely he would already ask for it? And as regards adding features: he was apparently reluctant to add features even when his OWB was in full development, so...

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
And as regards adding features: he was apparently reluctant to add features even when his OWB was in full development, so...

I don't wish to put words in his mouth, but I think he always saw RA-OWB as a "stop-gap" measure until Timberwolf was ready. Sadly things have taken (and still take...) a lot longer than hoped.

I'm not too fussed about MUI-OWB crashing, since it has the WONDERFUL MAGICAL (but strangely disabled by default?) feature where it auto-saves all open tabs, so that in event of a crash I do not loose which pages I had open.

And I don't wish to put words into Kas1e's mouth either, but from the *outside* he appears to have lost interest in updating MUI-OWB & instead now starts yet more major ports (e.g. DOpus5) which I have to wonder if they will be finished either. (In Kas1e's defence, he did privately tell me some reasons why MUI-OWB had not been updated, but it's now months later without any sign, so I find it hard to believe those were the only reasons.) (And I don't want to sound ungrateful for all the work Kas1e has already put into organising & doing the porting of MUI-OWB, it's already very good, I just worry that it will never be improved further.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
but I think he always saw RA-OWB as a "stop-gap" measure until Timberwolf was ready.

Seems a funny excuse expecialy when Timberwolf was never finished aswell ..

Latest version is more or less 1 year old, still lots of bugs and it's also slow as hell (please don't tell me that it's fast on a 3000 euro machine)

Quote:
I don't want to sound ungrateful for all the work Kas1e has already put into organising & doing the porting of MUI-OWB, it's already very good, I just worry that it will never be improved further.)

At the end I think it will improved, but as usual in Amiga world still always all that if and if crap --> see the strange story about the impossibility to open a bounty in a decent time

At the end even if not comparable in term of feature the only serious and honest project still NetSurf, that's why i appreciate Chris a lot

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

...(please don't tell me that it's fast on a 3000 euro machine)

Yes, I think SAM440 users are little bit forgotten.

Quote:
At the end even if not comparable in term of feature the only serious and honest project still NetSurf, that's why i appreciate Chris a lot

Agreed. The only hope?

Edit. Regarding MUIOWB. I'm not the only one who have a lot of freezes since (probably) update6. Hard reset needed.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mr2

Quote:
Yes, I think SAM440 users are little bit forgotten.

Regarding browser in my opinion we are all more or less forgotten, not only the Sam440 users ..

We have many alternative in general witch is cool but only NetSurf are developed with regularity and this is very very annoying because all that projects are a huge potential :-/

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
To repeat myself nth time and to cut the c**p. I got the sources from Mr. Strohmayer. I asked. (Webkit in those sources is outdated anyway now.) If you want them then simply ask him.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

I do not know how it feel faster, because muiowb clearly faster when scroll big fat pages. I do compassion some time ago, and even make a video to show how speed is different on facebook (where muiowb was a lot faster at that time). Maybe gui itself feels a bit faster, dunno, but in theory muiowb should be faster in rendering all the time (and it was like this in practice).

Scrolling smoothness speed and display a web page speed are different sorts of speed. As with allthese things it likely depnds on which website you look at. I think I found that MUIOWB was faster on javascript heavy sites and similar on others.

I stuck with Reaction OWB however as the MUI version is less stable, and I didn't have an overwhelming need for the frills. Should there be an update to the MUI version, and it prove more stable (can't see whuy it wouldn't) I would likely swap over.

Quote:

And as for font rendering : there is ra-owb for sure better. I always like it myself, and i never like that sucking boring boredom with fontconfig.

I think the fonts look nicer but they render the wrong size causing some websites to ay out oddly, compared with other systems.

Quote:

He was IIRC more interested to get HTML etc functionality working than the frills functions like download mangers which no body actually needs. (Like sugar in your tea is nice but not neccessary)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

To repeat myself nth time and to cut the c**p. I got the sources from Mr. Strohmayer. I asked. (Webkit in those sources is outdated anyway now.) If you want them then simply ask him.

So you got the sources and did nothing with them? Very helpful.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

Really ?
That's good, but please upload it on a public repository like Sourceforge, Google and so on.

If you do that anyone can look at, follow the progress etc without asking and asking, aka the same bad experience we had in the past and now with other important projects

P.S.
Just I don't understand a detail, you have the old source from the Sand-Labs page or you have also the entire AmigaOS4 source updated to latest 3.32 version ?

That's important because ideally we should have the very latest version released under OS4, not an interim source that no one can interpretate ...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
I got the sources from Mr. Strohmayer.

Good. Do they compile? What are your plans?

The Rear Window blog

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »