Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
50 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: Have you interest to have "putty" for os4 ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
Will you in interest, to have os4 port of welknown ssh/rlogin/telnet client for all the oses - Putty ? If there will be more than 10-15 users who will be in interest, then i will create a bounty for that and will start to works on it. But for first i need to know: need it for you or not.

Yes, PuTTY would be useful to have. That's what I use when logging serial output from my Amigas.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I use PuTTY on the Win machine to read out the serial.

Would be nice to have it OS4 native for when the X1000 comes near...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I need a good SSH shell program. So, if a program like Putty can be ported then I totally want it. Also, a program like FTP Mount but for SFTP, could be useful.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@all

That topic are from 2009, not something fresh. 2 years ago i put that ideas on hold becase of "new shell almost done". I think we still need to wait aos4.2, to see how new shell looks like (if it will available in os4.2), and will it only as kingcon + tabs, or it will have some different terminal emulations (like vt100, etc) or kind.

And when everything will be clear, then we can think what should be done, and can we wrap the new con or still need it to write new one from scratch.

@spotup

I will try to write a mail to muicon author (here is homepage). Chances are low that he will opensource it, but worth of trying. Its also include some mui classes which need to opensource as well..

Maybe he will in interest to open it for some money .. but as usuall chances are low.

EDIT: found now that its Jacek Piszczek (jacadcaps) are author, and he are active on morphos pretty much. So, 99% that he will not open source it, and i even not want to stoop again with all that "please give us the sources".

If some of you in interst, write him a mail, maybe by some luck he will give a sources for us.

Edited by kas1e on 2012/1/9 11:29:42
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

2009?

Dang, and i thought i missed another interesting thread when i saw the replies
SpotUp fooled me completely

Hmm...spoTTY!

Maybe a complete port isn't necessary then?
We'll see when the new shell hits the OS

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well my opinion is that Putty should be very low priority as it benefits the few rather than the masses. There are far more important things that should be given preference.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
There's a lack of a decent MUD client, PuTTY for OS4 would improve the situation.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Well, no need to contact him, here's the answer from Jacek:

MUICON is a MorphOS program and is not going to be ported to any other OS. Opensourcing is out of question since it relies on MorphOS internals and is in part based on work of other MorphOS Core Members. PowerTerm.framework(mcc) however is a commercial product which can be licensed to 3rd parties. I am willing to consider a closed source port for 8k euro or handing the sources to a 3rd party (under a closed source license) for 10k euro. These conditions would be exactly the same to consider an AROS or AmigaOS 3.x port. Please send any questions related to PowerTerm to iconsole@iconsole.pl

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab
So 8k euro if he will port it to os4, and 10k euro if he will give sources to anyone who will make a port. Imho a bit too much for just one class to be honest. 1k can be for real, but 10k for single class for sure too much, and imho unreal.

@all
If some of you in interest, feel free to contact jacek, and tryint to convince him to lower sum, and if you will lucky, then i will port it for free.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
i'm not sure the class alone will do us much good?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

From Jacek:

The price is not negotiable. PowerTerm is a seasoned, widely used and tested product. It's in active development for almost 10 years. Countless workhours were spent on making it compatible with xterm, fast and portable.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I really thought by the title this thread ment putty - the game putty lol Was playing that couple of days ago. Sorry off topic lol!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab
Quote:

The price is not negotiable. PowerTerm is a seasoned, widely used and tested product. It's in active development for almost 10 years. Countless workhours were spent on making it compatible with xterm, fast and portable.

Sure that its all like this, but he for sure know that even if firefox get only 5 thousands (and we all know, that amiga fans will never understand benefits of some new term class for mui), then its just unpossible to get 10k for powerterm class.

To add on top of that, that its only class, without mui-con or any stuff which will utilize it, what mean that someone also should write new con-handler around (what also 1) time 2) who 3)need to do). For all of this, even with good description, with good PR, with normal explaining to all the ppls, its just unpossible to collect even 8k. Even 1k will be hard, but that more or less real (only if someone will swear on the cross, that he will write something which will use powerterm class).

Through, maybe if it will be opensourced, then also aros and aos3 users can a bit add some euros, but in the best case it will be not 10k, but dunno, 2k maybe (and that if some of us (like me) will do good PR of that stuff, and so on, as without, its all will die in the dust as usuall) ).

@SpotUp
Quote:

i'm not sure the class alone will do us much good?

Class alone nothing, but with it we can make a our "mui con", which based on powerterm.mcc

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
So putty and syncterm looks like more realistic alternatives.
Resized Image

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@spotup

Yep. Putty already have all the code to handle different terminal in their window (without using any os-shell features, so code can be usable). Itix even say me few years ago, that he have ported necessary parts of putty, only gui-related parts was missed if i remember right. So maybe will worth to contacting with him for details and so on.

But anyway, need to see our shell. Maybe with openssh it will be able to mimik other terminals. Or even if not, it will be easy to build something around con-handlers).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Kas1e

I use PuTTY at work and I'd be interested in a port. However you know I am principally an AROS guy and I'd prefer if PuTTY would be ported also to it. Since most AROS developers use Linux machines for a reason or another, they may be very interested too. If an AmigaOS 4.x port of PuTTY would be a good way to have it on AROS too, well, I can't be more interested. Thank you.

--
Paolo Besser
Icaros Desktop AROS distribution mantainer & coordinator
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@paolone
If work will starts, then from gui side it will be mui of course (so no problems), but then need to write it independant from the con-handlers, to be fully cross-platform.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'm also intrested in some kind of ssh client. the lack of this is sometimes the main reason for me to not bootup my pegasos2

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@smf
As i know we have already "openssh" (i.e. all those ssh, scp and co bins, which can be used from shell). Of course no any terminal support, but i think you still can log in to some linux server and do the work.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Using the openssh package has never been an real option for me, it works too bad for me with the con:s we have

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »