Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 122

VooDoo, trixie, Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Java on Amiga
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
After the recent JAmiga thread (http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0) , the AmigaBounty team has been discussing the possibility of setting up a bounty for Java on Amiga. Attempts to contact the JAmiga team have failed and their website shows no recent sign of activity so we are asking the Amiga development community for input.

We are looking for developers who might be interested in a bounty as well as suggestions by developers on how the process can be broken down into "bite size" increments that will hopefully give the project a better chance of success. These smaller increments would allow a developer(s) to be rewarded for the work in stages and also hopefully allow future developers to pick up the development without having to start all over if the project should cease for an extended period of time.

We are asking for constructive input only. Thank you for your understanding.

Also, please remember to visit http://amigabounty.net/ to suggest or claim a bounty.

Go to top
Re: Java on Amiga
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Sbaitso

Just a thought!

Since hyperion's spokeman said they're interested in java support for the amiga. Not sure how they are planning that. But maybe help them with that?

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Any open-source Java for Amiga project could easily be used by them, provided that the license allows it to be included.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have been looking at JAmiga, and have tried to get the GNU classpath
for Java 1.5 to work with it. But thats where I'm stuck right now.

As I see it, the work can initially be divided into getting Java 1.4 running stable with JAmiga, and getting Java 1.5 running at all.

If anyone is interested I might try to collect some info on what I've done so far.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jaokim

I would like to see a discussion on which way to go to get JAVA to AmigaOS. Whether building on Jamiga or starting from scratch in best.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Quote:

jaokim wrote:
I have been looking at JAmiga, and have tried to get the GNU classpath
for Java 1.5 to work with it. But thats where I'm stuck right now.

Quote:
As I see it, the work can initially be divided into getting Java 1.4 running stable with JAmiga, and getting Java 1.5 running at all.

My personal preference would be to ditch GNU classpath for the officil Java classpath, so that we're guaranteed of 100% compatibility. Now that the official Java classpath is open-source, GNU classpath offers no advantage whatsoever (IMHO). However, that would mean ditching all the work done on the GNU classpath.

The choice of which path to take deserves considerable thought because, the more work that is done on the classpath, the harder it will be to change. My concern is that OpenJDK will make GNU classpath development slow down, and possibly stop altogether (the last release was in february, 9 months ago).

Quote:
If anyone is interested I might try to collect some info on what I've done so far.

Please do. I'm still hoping that there will be more interested, but any information on what needs to be done would be useful. Out of interest, what is the stumbling block at present?

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

I'm going to try to get the ball rolling here. Joakim suggested splitting into getting Java 1.4 running stable and getting Java 1.5 working at all. We're probably going to need to subdivide this further. Have a look at GNU classpath's compatibility to JDK1.5, that's a long list of separate components (which each have plenty of sub-components).

Here are some of the components that I think could be separated out, in order of importance:

- Adapting JNI to Amiga OS so that people can compile native modules that JAmiga (or some other JVM) can load separately.
- Get the latest version of GNU Classpath working, or start on using OpenJDK
- get Graphics2D and AWT working
- get Swing working
- Make JAmiga also work as an NPAPI plugin, and implement the Applet and JApplet native methods so that OWB, Timberwolf, and other browsers can use Java
- implement some sort of security model support (maybe this should be done before it's released with browser plugin support)
- A JIT runtime compiler for speed
- other less important modules (see here for the list of JDK1.5 modules)

Some input from people who are more familiar with Java would be greatly appreciated. I haven't developed anything in Java for years.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I think that getting JAmiga running with GNU classpath would initally be a good idea.
Ditching GNU CP, would imho only be time consuming. GNU classpath v 0.13 works with JAmiga already. If we could get JAmiga running ok with GNU classpath, I guess we could relatively easy make it work with OpenJDK.

Basically, something working is better than something not developed at all.

With the current GNU CP I think there is a class loading problem since there a few changes from 1.4 to 1.5 (generics etc). The problem, if I remeber lies with java.lang.Reflect.
Trying with 1.4 CP, last time I tried JAmiga crashed.. don't know why.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim
Quote:

jaokim wrote:
I think that getting JAmiga running with GNU classpath would initally be a good idea.
Ditching GNU CP, would imho only be time consuming. GNU classpath v 0.13 works with JAmiga already. If we could get JAmiga running ok with GNU classpath, I guess we could relatively easy make it work with OpenJDK.

Basically, something working is better than something not developed at all.

Sounds reasonable.

Quote:

With the current GNU CP I think there is a class loading problem since there a few changes from 1.4 to 1.5 (generics etc). The problem, if I remeber lies with java.lang.Reflect.
Trying with 1.4 CP, last time I tried JAmiga crashed.. don't know why.

So you have the latest version compiling, but it crashes?

Do you have write access to the JAmiga source code repository? If so, then maybe you could create an experimental branch and commit your current code there.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:

So you have the latest version compiling, but it crashes?

Do you have write access to the JAmiga source code repository? If so, then maybe you could create an experimental branch and commit your current code there.

Yes, I have a version compiling and crashing v 1.4, and one that runs with 1.5 but throws evil exception.

I however have no write access to the sourceforge. I also can't remeber which version I have on my harddrive, but I think the version in the CVS is the old CPP-base, and I have the one in the archive (v0.0.5) at the jamiga.org-site.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Quote:

jaokim wrote:
I however have no write access to the sourceforge. I also can't remeber which version I have on my harddrive, but I think the version in the CVS is the old CPP-base, and I have the one in the archive (v0.0.5) at the jamiga.org-site.

You're right, the CVS code is older than the code in the archives. Did you have a look at the "daily snapshots" at all? If you can, please try to contact Peter Werno, and see if you can get his latest stuff. Also, ask him if you can get admin access to the sourceforge pages. Both him and the other admins haven't touched the project in a long while, and it would be helpful if someone who is actively working on JAmiga (or at least still active here) has admin access.

I have no idea what should be done if neither of the admins are contactable; does sourceforge allow people to take over projects whose admins appear to have abandoned them and are no longer contactable?

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

I think you can ask SF to take over a project, they will try to contact the current admin, if they don't anwser in a normal delay you might gain either an admin right either project ownership.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

I have mailed the info@-address, but without answer. I tried directly to Peter W now. I'll report any progress.

The best would be to get access to both sourceforge and jamiga.org, so th project atleast can show some signs of activity.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

The "info" address on the JAmiga page doesn't appear to be monitored anymore. I also tried it and never received any reply or any type of "mail bounce" message.

Quote:

jaokim wrote:

I have mailed the info@-address, but without answer. I tried directly to Peter W now. I'll report any progress.

The best would be to get access to both sourceforge and jamiga.org, so th project atleast can show some signs of activity.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jaokim

Have you had any luck making contact with Peter W or sourceforge?

Quote:

jaokim wrote:
@Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Sbaitso

I also sent an email and directed him to this forum, hope the email gets through.

Edited by angelheart on 2009/12/15 13:23:37
Edited by angelheart on 2009/12/15 13:25:54
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

Update: I have contacted Peter Werno !

The Sourceforge source IS OLD and Peter asks to use the http://www.jamiga.org/sites/dl.php website for the code.

I await permission to post his contact info. - granted
Thanks Peter !

Ok, any developer want assistance in Jamiga can contact Peter Werno directly.

peter [AT] werno [DOTCOM]

Edited by angelheart on 2009/12/15 13:44:50
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@angelheart

This is the first time I saw screenshots from outputs of "Amiga_Java" implementation. Very interesting. And I am surprised that there were even a donation action which came up with nearly 1200$.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@cha05e90

Its so exciting, Java would be so useful on Amiga and I hope more screen shots are out soon !

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Who in Amiga land knows Java as a programmer? We need advice, comments and suggestions from Java experts as to the best way to sort out bounties for various Java features, classes, JDK, etc. so we can begin defining reasonable bounties and moving forward.

Jamiga's sourceforge page claims it to be an implementation of JRE1.4.1. How important is it to update this to a newer JRE spec? I see that Sun has a "draft spec" for Java SE 7 (JRE 1.7?) available now, and gnu classpath claims it needs at least JDK 1.5 to compile. I guess one could compile on a Linux or other host and run on Jamiga... (via retroweaver?)

Seems AWT implementation needs done. Do you imagine that to be a reasonable project, or does AWT need split up into separate tasks to be reasonable for completion?

Any other comments on the current state of Jamiga as a basis to move forward, or what other classes need priority, and what you'd like to see for Java on Amiga, from the Java coder's point of view?

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »