Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 17 »
Re: Filer alpha, from OpenAmiga.org
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

great!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues

Just found a really quick way to take down my system....

Display a direcory with a large number of files.

Select all.

Click on View by accident when you meant search.

Opens a large number of multiview windows very quickly, runs out of memory and dies...

Perhaps viewing multiselected files sequantially rather than asynchrounously and all at once might be an idea?

(I think DOpus 4 does it that way)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@broadblues

Or a warning if you have selected a large number of files. Remember that sequential would lock up the lister until you have checked all files, which might be a bit .. annoying.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

personnaly I'm not for sequential : if I multi-select files and then click on view then I want them to be viewed simultaneously. I would rather prefer your solution : a warning.
Anyway it can very well be 'sequential' and done by a sub-process to not block the lister

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@abalaban

yeah, but creating processes internally, as apposed to systemtags(), is not very fun when using newlib and I don't want to explode the file size by skipping newlib.

Unless of course I create 'yet-another-binary' that just launches the sequential list, but I don't want to add a lot of helper apps either.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
yeah, but creating processes internally, as apposed to systemtags(), is not very fun when using newlib

Why's that ? I don't have problems using systemtags. (What ever lib is the default.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

TSK wrote:
@orgin

Quote:
yeah, but creating processes internally, as apposed to systemtags(), is not very fun when using newlib

Why's that ? I don't have problems using systemtags. (What ever lib is the default.)

Yes I think this is what Origin is saying I think : using SystemTags() is easy compared to manual creation of subprocess...

@origin

But how do you do currently ?

EDIT: oh wait I think i've understood : you are using SystemTags() in the async mode don't you ?

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

You don't use systemtags to create new processes internally. You use CreateNewProcTags().

Which afaik requires that you use NP_Child when using newlib. or else the newlib base is deallocated when the parent process quits (it is shared) which can lead to that the child processes takes a hard dive into grimgrimland. Also you must be very careful to not share any data between the processes, ie. need to reload all libraries and interfaces that you might need, or else you might deallocate something that the child processes are using.

But I don't want to use NP_Child since that means that the parent process doesn't quit until all sub processes have quit.

I guess you could open a new newlib but then you're venturing into something that doesn't seem like it's really worth the hassle.

All in all it seems easier to simply just add a warning.

(talking asynch above)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@abalaban

"you are using SystemTags() in the async mode don't you ? "

Yepp. though for user buttons you can select if it should be async or not.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

I agree that sequencial for small numbers of file would be annoying, as you most likely want to see all of them.

You could have a warning with the option to cancel, continue or handle sequencialy perhaps.

Or you could handle files in sensibly sized batches.

But the one thing you don't want to do is display the entire source tree of a major app in one go! :-0

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

I think I misunderstood you. I have my own problems to get CreateNewProcTags() to work in my app. (Called function itself works but system becomes highly unstable afterwards. I dont' know where the problem is. Maybe it's not intended to work that way I'm doing it.)

If you want to launch apps from user buttons like they were started from WB you can use OpenWorkbenchObject() on AOS4.1. (AFAIK that function didn't work properly in 4.0. I'm using SystemTags("WBRun <appname>",...) if it's running on 4.0.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

Already am ;)

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

53.20 out: http://openamiga.org/?function=viewfiles&projectid=20

DONE - Change open drawer qualifier to CTRL.
DONE - Add close-able output windows
DONE - Fix that search result is rendered with wrong window pointer
DONE - Fix that Editors doesn't get proper path
DONE - Prefs: Fix nasty non initialized editor STRPTR
DONE - Prefs: Remove Store buttons
DONE - Prefs: Add deficons button

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Downloaded, installed and working well!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Lookin' good. :)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

This project is very nice! Great to see it reach beta-stage! :) Congratulations!

btw - would it be possible to add an option to let the user change the text "set destination" and "set source" - Myself I prefer to simply have "Source" on the lister that is the source, and "destination" on the lister that is the destination.

Best regards

Torgeir Vee
Ferrule Media
Norway
www.ferrule-media.no

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

Great stuff! Thanks for the update.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@fuskoSCN

Quote:

btw - would it be possible to add an option to let the user change the text "set destination" and "set source" - Myself I prefer to simply have "Source" on the lister that is the source, and "destination" on the lister that is the destination.

I did find that slightly confusing to look at myself at first. Now I have source and destinations set with differeing colour schemes, so it's obvious at a quick glance with is which.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Tested right now 53.21 version, want to say its looks like good professional programm at moment! Tiny, stable, fast. After running i just tryed add filetypes for videos (avi, wmv, mpeg). And its much easest and logical if for example compare with old dopus4. Just curios, it is possible to redirect filler output to NUL ? i just tryed somethink like: run <>NIL: mplayer "{f}", but i have this annoing mplayer shell output still.

ps. screenshoot with 53.21 version

Edited by kas1e on 2009/4/29 14:34:59
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 17 »