Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

daveyw, more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

Datatype project
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi all,

I would like to setup a new project. For a start, I think we should choose a relatively easy one: enhancing the datatypes system.
This is one feature that gives its identity to AmigaOS so let's move it forward.

List of required features:

- streaming
- new datatypes (vector graphics?)

Please make a proposition and I'll update the list...

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Re: Datatype project
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Elwood

There was a lot of chatter about this in the "Workbench enhancement project" thread. It could be an idea to PM those who posted there and see if they want to continue the discussion here.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Elwood

Enhancing the datatype system is of great importance. this is some of the still great features of AmigaOS.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Elwood

Some ideas:

sound.datatype needs support for 16-bit and 32-bit sound data.

Also there should be methods for reading and writing sample data similar to what the picture.datatype has now with READPIXELARRAY / WRITEPIXELARRAY. It should also support streaming so I guess there needs to be some method for sound.datatype to use to ask the subclass for data when it is needed. It should support reading/writing of interleaved sound data as well as one channel at a time.

The old method of getting/setting sound data should probably be deprecated and have only 8-bit sound data for compatibility (converted by sound.datatype as needed).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

I think the streaming facility should be implemented at datatype.library (or root) level rather than in any subclass because every datatype can benefit the streaming feature, not only sound...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked