Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
74 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

General concerns
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Post your concerns about the Open Amiga idea.

List of issues that people has brought forward:

- Licensing
- Some people don't like the Open Source idea
- You just want to turn OS4 into Linux
- But utilitybase should be used for developer information

Edited by orgin on 2008/7/8 15:24:35
Edited by orgin on 2008/7/8 18:28:55
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: General concerns
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
"- Some people don't like the Open Source idea"

Why Open Source is the proposed method is described in the project description:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... hp?topic_id=1861&forum=31

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
"- You just want to turn OS4 into Linux"

The aim of the project is exactly the opposite. The organization should only deal with genuinely amigaOS based projects. Projects that use and extend the AmigaOS api's and facilities.

This is NOT about porting linux libraries, tools and applications to AmigaOS.

And for the Open Source angle, Open Source is not a synonym for Linux. Open Source does not dictate from where the source comes from, only that the source is open for anyone to see and use within the confines of the license.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@orgin

"- But utilitybase should be used for developer information "

The infrastructure discussion can't end before there's even a group around to discuss it.

Utilitybase could be approached to be a partner, it could be used by the organization as a place where information is posted, there could be some form on cooperation, dual posting or whatever. All doors are open at this point.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Quote:
- Licensing
- Some people don't like the Open Source idea

If a license is good enough then there's not problem. And because Hyperion will make decision what they want to use from that project, so it's controlled by them, that's just fine.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Can it be allso a forum, where someone can poit, wich AmigaOS features or behaviour is better to stay/save ?

Or did I miss idea ?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Mlehto

Sorry but I do not understand what it is that you are trying to say.

Explain again?

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@orgin

Ok, sorry.

I quote myself from other thread, something like that:

I'm with you if you mean that amiga should stay like amiga.

This new shared object thing is surely advantage to system, but naming is not exactly what I call amiga style. Historically there is somename.device , somename.library and so on. Easy on many ways. It is human readable form, library is maybe long suffix but it says it friendly way. If you look drawer contents in alpabetic order, it is easy to find what you look for.

With shared objects you have names like libsomename.so. Not very handy nor amigish way to say it, really ? And scan drawer, all files start lib ...eye must jump over three first character and start to reconice actual name after lib. Not very easy, if you have many lib#?.so files in drawer.

I should prefer somename.shared.object or someame.shared.library, even if naming scheme is longer. Anyway it is easier to read, it says everything needed in human readible form and it is amiga style.

Uuuuh, this made me feel better, I got high blood pressure, when I saw this libxx.so thingie...

Same applies to kmod files, why need to copy naming from unix/linux ?

Many cases in POSIX system commans and sufixxes, naming behaviour in general is minimal (ls , rm etc.) because of these old nasty paper cards with holes, when every saved bit meant less fragile paper storage for program/data. But this was sixties, we don't need to respect or copy this style, really. Amiga is originated to eighties with magnetic media, not sixties with paper media

I can't underline too much datatypes. it save a lot on years, when OS hasn't any official support for new types of pictures, sounds and so on. So it is good idea to develop it further for better stream handling etc. Datatypes are overall one of the best ideas generally in computer world.

Someone mentioned cups ... fine for me as long as it respects amiga file naming style and it's parts are stored in workbench to places, where normal brains can find them

At least part of cups drivers are raster driver and they were worse quality than others, at least before. It can be different today. Should be intresting to know, how well they perform with photo quality printing. I don't know current state of cups, since I don't use linux for desktop. It stays, where it's stenght lies, servers...

Amiga file sharing Envoy is good. Don't know, how it works with OS4 though. Something similar should be nice os4 native. Envoy has users and groups allso.

I think, that windows ACL type permissions are more suitable to small business(users,groups), where you can give permissions relativelly freely in user level. Pretty handy in small companies, where one person can have three different chairs and same time tight security is needed. Little 10-15 biochemical or medial companies like example. Unix users,group,owner is more or less useless in these cases and it suits better in corporates, where ACL can lead to mess.

http://www.softhut.com/envoy.html

Samba is not bad for amiga-linux-window file sharing. Microsoft was forced to publish smb protocol (or parts of it) so it makes differene to samba eventually.

Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked