Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
242 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 241

nikitas, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Image FX4.5
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I bought the CD some months ago when Nova Design had their "special" on, but I have been unable to install it on an OS4 system.

The old Installer won't run under OS4, so I first had to copy the CD onto a clean partition and call it by the name of the CD ("IFXInstall"). Then I could change the default tool of the script to "Installer" and get the script to run.
Next problem is that the script looks for "=RAM:" and "=Progs:" (my destination volume), so I tried assigning those names to the proper places. That got a bit further, then I ran into the problem that "it can't find the file 'RAM:xxx.info'". Small wonder, it isn't in RAM: where it should be. They are using something called "lhex" to unpack their .lha archives and it seems to be the next utility that has passed its use-by date. I can edit every line containing "lhex" to use "lha" (changing the options and their order on the command line as well), but that will take years.

Has anyone managed to install this thing under OS4? How? Has anyone a working script that I can use?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Re: Image FX4.5
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Hunt down Cecilia.

She is the ImageFX Guru

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw

I installed it. Basically what I did is follow the install script and did it by hand. It's pretty easy to understand.
It's a bunch of unpack "this" into "there"...

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

I don't remember having any troubles with the installer when I installed it. That was with an older version of OS4 though. It did overwrite some class files which I had to recopy over from the OS4 CD.

You could use the replace-all function in editpad to replace all instances of lhex with lha. Or, delete lhex from C: and use makelink to link lhex to lha. Even easier, make a copy of lha called lhex.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw

I won a copy of ImageFX 4.5 at the Big Bash 3, it installed fine for me straight from the CD, but this was before newmem, maybe that broke lhex.

I have had major problems with the 4.5 'upgrade' cd that I bought from Computer City though (they sent the wrong CD and over 2 years and several emails later nothing has been sorted).

The good news is ImageFX 4.5 runs fine on OS4, I only have the jpg loader from os4depot installed and no other 3rd party plugins...

If you have no luck, email me and I'll send you the installed directory structure so you can do it by hand.

One thing to check is the envarc: drawer, iirc IFX modifies the Amigaguide/Path file.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin and all.

It seems some updates have occured since I bought Image FX. The one I bought is only v4.1.

Does anyone know what the differences are between v4.1 (which works on OS4 fine) and 4.5 are and:

a) Is it possible to update to v4.5 from v4.1 ?

b) Is it worth it or are the differences too negligible to bother ?

Bill.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tonyw

Try installing it under E-UAE, then copy it over to OS4, and use Snoopy to detect any problems.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@BillE

Quote:

BillE wrote:
@Severin and all.

It seems some updates have occured since I bought Image FX. The one I bought is only v4.1.

Does anyone know what the differences are between v4.1 (which works on OS4 fine) and 4.5 are and:

a) Is it possible to update to v4.5 from v4.1 ?

b) Is it worth it or are the differences too negligible to bother ?

Bill.

Bill try here
$39.95 ImageFx upgrades

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@AJS

Thanks for the info on *where* to get an update.

However, I can find nowhere telling me what I am going to get for my ?20 which is rather a lot of dosh just for an update.

Is it PPC native for OS4 or is it still only a 68k application ?

Given that I only use IFX for very basic manipulating and resizing images, I am not a graphic artist so must use only a fraction of Image FX, what is new from v4.1 to 4.5. If it is stuff I may never use then I may as well stick with 4.1.

I want someone to persuade me to part with the cash and update by telling me what is new in v4.5 compared to 4.1, what am I missing ?

An OS4 native version would swing it immediately even if nothing else was different

Bill.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BillE

No idea if it's worth it, but I have the ImageFX 4.1 to 4.5 upgrade version, stick ?15 in a stamped, addressed jiffybag (big enough for a dvd case) and post it to me and you could have it in a few days...

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All

Guys, thanks for the advice, I'll try Elwood's script first.

@Bill: There are several binaries on the CD, but no OS4 native version. Fortunately the 68K version works fine on OS4 (so I'm told).

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

I installed it originally on my A1200 system, and copied the installation over my A1 -together with all the stuff there when I bought the A1-, doing all needed assigns by hand, and it runs quite well that way.

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Ferry

Thanks, Elwood sent me a revised script which worked well and installed it OK.

The only problem I had during installation was that one of the programs on the CD had a checksum error. I tried de-archiving it with lha and unarc with the same result, so I guess it's been badly packed.

The file with the error is Hooks/Sys/PaintFX. All other files in that archive are OK, so the archive itself is OK, it's just that one file within the archive.

Otherwise it works.

Now, is it possible to connect a USB scanner, or do I have to find a SCSI card and use my old (and I mean OLD) Epson scanner with the SCSI interface?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw

I had the same checksum error, fortunately it's not on a required file.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

I downloaded the free ImageFX Lite from OS4Depot, when it came out. That was a long time ago. It installed okay, although I'd already read about the need to watch for changes to some of the classes, etc.

It worked fine and still does. I then decided to purchase the "ImageFX4.5 Studio Upgrade Version". I never could get it to work properly. It always gives me grim reapers.

I do have one strange (annoying) problem. When I start ImageFX I get a message "ANIM: Module requires newer version of ImageFX". I'm not interested in doing animations, so just click on the "OK" button, and everything is fine for ImageFX Lite. It is right after this that ImageFX4.5 gives me the grim reaper.

Anyone know what that message means or how to get rid of it?

Regards,
Don Feldbruegge

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@DonF

That's what I did...

The problem is that the 'lite' version is really ImageFX 3.

To upgrade the lite version Computer City supplied the 4.1 to 4.5 upgrade package which is obviously no use at all.

Complaining to them results in a few useless emails, then silence, then 'Oh we thought Nova sorted it out.', then more silence. I suggest you find a pirated copy of 4.5 to get the installed and working version you are entitled to.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Severin

So they gave you the wrong version and never fixed the problem? If you look at the Nova Design online store, thay still have the upgrade to ImageFX 4.5 from ImageFX Lite that comes with MorphOS/Amiga OS4. However, right now it's cheaper to buy the "full version" at half price than the upgrade version. Guess I'm glad that I ordered my copy directly from NovaDesign.

@DonF

Which upgrade version did you get? It sounds like you are trying to use v4.5 modules with the lite version of ImageFX. If you got the "ImageFX 4.5 studio - upgrade from lite" version, you shouldn't have any problems. At least, I didn't.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

I never bothered to keep up the hassle after I won a copy of 4.5 studio.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

[quote]
The problem is that the 'lite' version is really ImageFX 3.

To upgrade the lite version Computer City supplied the 4.1 to 4.5 upgrade package which is obviously no use at all.

[end quote]

Ouch, I think that is what happened to me -- and I never even realized it. Yes, I got it from Computer City. So that is why I have had problems with it.

Regards,
Don Feldbruegge

Go to top

Register To Post