Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Hyperion managed by liquidator; bankruptcy looming.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hyperion managed by liquidator; bankruptcy looming. BHBV's status unclear. Hyperion Entertainment appointed interim receiver. Time will tell whether this is once again due to the omitted annual report or if there's something else behind it.

Quote:

Hyperion has been managed by a liquidator since last week
"Ben Hermans BV" (hereinafter: BHBV) is a private company with limited liability owned by Ben Hermans, which has held 97% of the shares in Hyperion since 2019 and acts as a 'director' of Hyperion on paper. In March, bankruptcy proceedings were initiated against BHBV for the second time, in the same month, Ben Hermans had already initiated the founding of a new company with the same name.

As BHBV has not published any statutory annual reports since 2021, it is currently unclear whether the company still holds the majority of shares in Hyperion. Ben Hermans has not responded to an inquiry from amiga-news.de; the appointed liquidator Charlotte Piers tells us she'll get back to us in the next few days with "a more detailed response".

Friday's edition of the Belgian Official Gazette (local copy) now contains the information that insolvency lawyer Bart De Moor has been appointed "voorlopig bewindvoerder" for Hyperion Entertainment. Machine translation tools turn "bewindvoerder" into "administrator" - but as native Dutch speakers tell us, a more accurate translation would be "receiver".

It is currently unclear who appointed De Moor as liquidator - if he had been appointed by BHBV's liquidator, this would be a clear indication that Hyperion Entertainment is part of BHBV's bankruptcy estate. We have asked Bart De Moor for confirmation and will update this news item accordingly should he respond to our questions. (cg) (Translation: cg)

https://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2024-04-00029-EN.html

Go to top
Re: Hyperion managed by liquidator; bankruptcy looming.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@utri007

A provisional receiver was appointed. Not a liquidator.
Hyperion has not been declared bankrupt (yet).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Key components of OS4 are owned by A-EON and other third parties. For example, A-EON owns most of the 2D graphics system, Warp3D, MediaToolBox etc.

A substantial amount of components have been developed from scratch replacing files which could be tied up in yet more legal entanglements. This work has been done over the last 6 years in anticipation of this event happening.

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mattew
Quote:

Key components of OS4 are owned by A-EON

Since when AmigaInput, Workbench, USB stack, many gadgets, NGFS, and a bunch of other stuff are not key components ? I mean, they are not owned by AEON, while they important pieces of OS4.

Quote:

For example, A-EON owns most of the 2D graphics system, Warp3D, MediaToolBox etc.

As far as i aware, 2D graphics system is graphics.library, one of the most significant key components of OS4, and this is not owned by AEON (at least i know, that work on it is ongoing right now, from Hyperion's side, not from AEON). Or AEON made a replacement for instead of those pure C commands ?

What own AEON is 3D, that true, and drivers for HD and RX, but not graphics.library.

Quote:

A substantial amount of components have been developed from scratch replacing files which could be tied up in yet more legal entanglements. This work has been done over the last 6 years in anticipation of this event happening.

The replacement commands from AEON, often brings new bugs to the users, which originals didn't have.

With the current level of management of whole Enhancer stuff, i fear to see what you will cookie up like this. Things were starts as something good and fresh, with all this work from Hans and some other ppls (like Trixie on SDK), but then, all ends up with calculators, replacements of C commands, and fights for the rights of “key components”, sadly.

See, you even can't release a graphics drivers update for sam460 which were done year ago, which make all users have bugs with, and doing it only now (without change log at the beginning, as usually). It is no different, like it was/is with Hyperion, when they are sitting on the stuff. How it all should be then, better than Hyperion ? Why one should use your replacement commands with new bugs, if there are nothing new anymore in ? That all the same currently. Only with many more untested replacements , which install over real os4 on top. Kind of stinks to pretend to be independent of Hyperion's OS, but stole versioning numbering and the whole base.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit
Quote:
For example, A-EON owns ... MediaToolBox etc.
Really? That's a big surprise, since the author of it (and some other AmigaOS 4.x parts) was one of the few AmigaOS 4.x developers with an indisputable cease and desist declaration from a belgian court against Hyperion.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kas1e

PCIgraphics.card is owned by A-EON as well as ATIRadeon.card- most of the 2D drivers except for Voodoo etc

The old graphics lib with P96 cludged on is based on 1980/1990s code and cannot be worked around any longer. There are alternative solutions.

This is also applicable to Workbench. This is why we have used our own solution, AmiBench, in the A600GS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Joerg

Yes A-EON purchased it from the original developer some years ago along with SP-Engine. Partition Gadget Class was also purchased by A-EON.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
As far as i aware, 2D graphics system is graphics.library, one of the most significant key components of OS4, and this is not owned by AEON
But neither by Hyperion.
Like most of the AmigaOS 3.1 sources, not only Exec and DOS, the gfx sources were in most parts nearly completely useless m68k assembler code and had to be remplemented in C from scratch for AmigaOS 4.x.
The owners of such parts are the OS4 developers who did the reimplementations of such parts without using any of the AmigaOS 0.9-3.1 sources, not Hyperion who only got binary licences for such software for the AmigaOS 4.x releases, limited to explicitly stated AmigaOS 4.x versions and the hardware explicitly stated in those contracts (hint: No Sam4x0 licences, except for the "AmigaOne 500" labled complete systems, no licences for Pegasos2, no licences for X1000, no licences for X5000, no licences for A1222+, etc.).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

Interesting.

Since you own MediaToolBox, you are in the position to fix CHS issues for >2TB drives (better use 64bit geometry query) and add 4k sectors support.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit
Quote:
The old graphics lib with P96 cludged on is based on 1980/1990s code and cannot be worked around any longer. There are alternative solutions.
P96 (m68k only, but porting it to PPC, again, should be be no big problem) is owned by Individual Computers now.
Maybe a cooperation would be possible. Depending on Individual's P96 licence maybe not for AmigaOS 4.x/PPC, but at least for the A600GS.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit and joerg

As I remember Picasso96 has shared ownership between Hyperion and Individual computers.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/P96

Technically P96 was replaced by graphic library, but P96 API is used in AmigaOS4 graphic drivers. While Individual computers has opened the development docs, it’s not open for anyone to write a driver for AmigaOS4.x, as it has big holes.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Joerg

P96 is a dead end in development terms. For years the RadeonHD and RX drivers have their own resource which bypasses many of the constraints of P96 and the original graphics lib. The RadeonHD and RX drivers are not simply drivers.

There are other solutions now that are much better than being locked into the old P96 API.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

That might be, but OS4 used the OLD API’s to find the screen-modes in P96 driver.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
Since when AmigaInput, Workbench, USB stack, many gadgets, NGFS, and a bunch of other stuff are not key components ? I mean, they are not owned by AEON, while they important pieces of OS4.
Most people don't know what is/was part of OS4, or just free contributions by individual OS4 developers allowed to be included on AmigaOS 4.x CDs.
Examples:
- Neither SFS nor JXFS were ever part of OS4. Hyperion just had the permission to include them on some of the older AmigaOS 4.0/4.1 CDs.
- Just to be able to even boot AmigaOS 4.x from an install CD at all you needed some of my software like diskboot, cdfs, etc. Hyperion never owned anything of that.
- For some unknown reason 🤣 A-EON doesn't use boot/install CDs for the X1000/X5000/A1222+, but a boot/install/recovery USB-Sticks instead.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have bought a quite lot stuff from Hyperion, Shogo, Gorgy, Free Space, OS3.14, OS4 versions, older 3.1 versions. etc.

I have everything already downloaded.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
A-EON doesn't use boot/install CDs for the X1000/X5000/A1222+, but a boot/install/recovery USB-Sticks instead.
At least for the X1000, there is a version of the 4.1 Final Edition CD. For the X5000, I got an ISO with a preliminary 4.1 to install from. But I got it in the beta phase of X5000/40, maybe that has switched to a USB since then.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geennaam
Quote:
Since you own MediaToolBox, you are in the position to fix CHS issues for >2TB drives (better use 64bit geometry query) and add 4k sectors support.
What would be the difference if SP-Engine (the part creating/modifying the RDB, MediaToolBox is just a GUI using it) instead of the device drivers convert LBA to CHS?

For example the ATA drivers convert LBA48 disk sizes to CHS in the emulated HD_SCSICmd used by SP-Engine.
I don't think SP-Engine changes anything in the CHS values it gets from the device drivers.

Using LBA instead of the ancient CHS stuff would be nice, but next to impossible since way to much would have to be updated:
- Create a new, incompatible RDB successor, or get AmigaOS support added to something like GPT.
- Update everything using it. Not only AmigaOS parts (SP-Engine, mounter.library and for old drivers maybe even diskboot, USB massstorage, etc.), but the U-Boot/CFE firmware and it's 2nd level bootloaders as well, SLB_v2 on AmigaOne and Sam4x0, amigaboot.(ub|of) on the other systems.
- Update dos.library to support a new LBA DOSEnvec used by the new LBA partitions.
- Update all filesystems to use a new dos.library LBA filesystem startup function, maybe even add an ACTION_STARTUP successor for filesystems like SFS still using the old FS API.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

This is getting OT for this thread.
I've reopening this topic here: https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... id=147521#forumpost147521

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The topic has been moved to too hot to handle.
And more importantly, my comment is being linked to by the sewer system called amigaworld. So I have deleted my post.

Edited by geennaam on 2024/4/10 11:16:00
Edited by geennaam on 2024/4/10 11:16:33
Edited by geennaam on 2024/4/10 11:59:23
Edited by geennaam on 2024/4/10 12:40:36
Edited by geennaam on 2024/4/10 17:59:53
Edited by geennaam on 2024/4/10 19:48:56
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Tony Wyatt is the author NGFS and he’s a good friend of Trevor so I guess that this could be resolved. Intuition and many libraries could be taken from Morphos. Many years ago I suggested Matthew to do that never heard from him until I saw my suggestions coming to life. Same for using different colors on AmigaOne so we could see Amiga :) but I guess that everyone could have the same ideas…

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »