Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

NTFS formatted hard disk recognition
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have an external NTFS formatted hard disk that I use for file transfer between Amiga and PC. It was formatted on a laptop PC and works fine on the PC. It is recognized when I plug it in to my Amiga through USB but file transfer is really slow so I want to access it as an external SATA drive. When I plug it in as an external SATA drive it is not recognized. Media Toolbox sees it but won't access it unless it's installed. My question is: If I install the drive in Media Toolbox will it still work on a PC??

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Re: NTFS formatted hard disk recognition
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic Quote:
I have an external NTFS formatted hard disk that I use for file transfer between Amiga and PC. It was formatted on a laptop PC and works fine on the PC. It is recognized when I plug it in to my Amiga through USB but file transfer is really slow so I want to access it as an external SATA drive. When I plug it in as an external SATA drive it is not recognized. Media Toolbox sees it but won't access it unless it's installed. My question is: If I install the drive in Media Toolbox will it still work on a PC??

Is your external drive originally an ordinary SATA drive which you just use with different adapters? How do you connect it as an _external_ SATA drive? I do not own a X1000, but does it indeed have an external eSATA port...?!

In my X5000, if I connect SATA drives, initialized into the MBR format, to the internal Sata connectors, the NTFS partitions are recognized also by AmigaOS. There is no need to install them with Media Toolbox.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

I believe that you need to create a mount file for it or use the mounter tool.
When using it over usb the masstorage uses some kind of automounter.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Gregor

Yes; AmigaOS4.1 suffer from many poor design decisions, and this is one of them.

Basically, MBR support is integrated into USBMasterStorage.device driver, instead of making a shared Amiga library for MBR, by not doing so, they made it unscary complicated to support MBR systemwide.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@smf

They have lot more in USBMasterStorage.device, they also have mounter formatting commodity in there. That’s also not accessible to any other device driver.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

Basically, MBR support is integrated into USBMasterStorage.device driver, instead of making a shared Amiga library for MBR, by not doing so, they made it unscary complicated to support MBR systemwide.

Not true, the partition mounting code from the mass storage driver was split off into its own kickstart module, "mounter.library", in 2014 and has been available publicly since 4.1 Final Edition.

The X5000 and A1222 on-board SATA drivers are in fact already making use of this library.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Gregor
I have a Delock eSATAp adapter that mounts in the extra front 5.25 inch drive bay on the front of my X1000 case. The adapter is connected to one of the internal SATA ports (on the motherboard. I don't know if Delock still makes those kinds of adapters.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@smf
Quote:
I believe that you need to create a mount file for it or use the mounter tool.

Mounter doesn't recognize the drive, so I guess I'll need to figure out how to create a mount file for the drive and try that.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Mounter does not support MBR partitons.

Maybe this tool can be used:

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... ity/hardware/mountdos.lha

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic wrote:
Quote:
Mounter doesn't recognize the drive, so I guess I'll need to figure out how to create a mount file for the drive and try that.

Do you have any MorphOS machine around? You could connect the drive as an USB disk. MOS's Mounter can recognize a MBR partition and create a mountlist for it. You could then try to edit the mountlist parameters (device etc.) for use with AmigaOS.

Go to top

Register To Post