Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
DefIcons 53.11 Pattern Insertion Using Return or Enter causes extraneous "n" append (SOLVED PARTIAL)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
1. Open DefIcons
2. Go to any filetype entry (with a "PATTERN" Actions")
3. Click on pattern and enter the text box
4. Make a modification
5. Move the cursor to the end of the pattern text and then press "Enter" or "Return"
6. Notice that the PATTERN has appended an "n" character

Let me guess, this is not happening for anyone else?

This could possibly explain why I also have to click on "OK" when I use SSHTerm to enter a password VS just entering the password and pressing enter otherwise I get an unauthentication error due to a bad password. Possibly I have a corrupt gadget?

Edited by rjd324 on 2022/8/4 18:28:37
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: DefIcons 53.11 Pattern Insertion Using Return or Enter causes extraneous "n" append
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Actually, for me DefIcons just seems totally broken. Even clicking on an existing pattern and then pressing enter results in garbage being appended to the final Action Pattern string.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: DefIcons 53.11 Pattern Insertion Using Return or Enter causes extraneous "n" append
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi @rjd324

Same version of DefIcons as yours, I can not recreate this, and making a modification will work as expected.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes, works on my x1000 fine too.

Can you also test out SSHTerm with a password and press enter or return instead of pressing okay.

I am definitely thinking I have some corrput gadget somewhere. I think a fresh install will be worth doing anyway.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Has AmigaKit sneaked in some Reaction classes, have updated your system lately?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I was able to SSH to my Linux box by pressing return, it looks like you might really need a fresh system, you are poking arond it too much

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@levellord

yours is an X5000 right?

George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

Yes, correct.

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
Can you also test out SSHTerm with a password and press enter or return instead of pressing okay.

This is a known issue that is exposed especially with Radeon RX graphics cards. There is a workaround for that. Do you have a Radeon RX card?

The workaround that might work for you is to run A-Eon's power prefs in your user-startup, so as to run on every boot.

i.e.
Sys:Enhancer/Prefs/Power QUIET

Feel free to change the path based on your system.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
Even clicking on an existing pattern and then pressing enter results in garbage being appended to the final Action Pattern string.

As Walkero has said above, it is a known bug in the system's string gadget. It affects Radeon RX users with a newer (> V1.12) RadeonRX.chip driver. The bug is likely a race condition that has been around for decades, and only recently was exposed by the driver now supplying data faster than the gadget expects. Hence the string corruption.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Okay, in that case I don't need to reinstall.

Presumably, @levellord doesn't see this on his or her X5000 because they are either not using an RX card, or using an RX card that is different to mine? I use a Sapphire 560RX. With the latest radeonhd and radeonrx.

But, what I would like is someone else to reproduce the issue I am seeing with my DefIcons. Can anyone else reproduce this just to rule out that it is not my system.

The only thing I can do is to actually hack the DefIcons.prefs binary file that is saved in ENV:,

or just copy over my X1000s....

@walkero
I will also try the power quiet hack but last time I tried that it didn't solve my SSHTerm pressing enter issue.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
what I would like is someone else to reproduce the issue I am seeing with my DefIcons. Can anyone else reproduce this just to rule out that it is not my system.

Yes I can perfectly reproduce it in DefIcons on my X5000 system. Exactly the same problem.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Thank you.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rjd324

We have a new implementation of Deficons V54

Would you like to privately test it and see if it solves the problems you have with DefIcons V53 ?

Thanks

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

For sure, thank you.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rtd324

Are you able to email and I can get you the files to try out.

Thanks

amigakit.com - the Amiga store
Links: www.amigakit.com | New Products | Enhancer Software
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigakit

I sent you my address by pm. Unless you meant for me to send the amigakit store an email address.

Thanks.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

For your information, the bug also manifests itself in the 'media toolbox' when entering a disk name. After entering 'DH6', confirmed by a carriage return, it is displayed in the partition-list 'DH6n'. The solution proposed by walkero nevertheless works just as well...

AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - SSD 2x4Tb - Radeon RX 560 4Gb - AmigaOS4.1 FE
Amiga 1200 2Mb Chip - PiStorm32 lite - CF 128Gb - Scandoubler Indivision MK3 - GOEX Drive - WiFi 802.11b - WB 3.2.2.1 - Star LC10 Printer
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What would be nice is at least read-only access to the bugs database, with of course ID numbers. And with any new release a reference to the ID numbers that have been fixed.

George Orwell.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@rjd324

I fixed this bug in string.gadget almost six months ago (14.1.2022 according to the releasenotes). That a fixed version hasn't been released yet is a little frustrating TBH.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »