Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

SAM460ex and frequent lock-ups make the system almost unusable
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As i am making my mini comeback to Amiga NG after having acquired a second hand SAM460ex, i have some questions before i lose my dedication and good faith in Next Gen Amiga. I have already installed 4.1 FE plus updates 1,2, Hotfix, however, no matter what I try, the system freezes often, thus it becomes almost unusable. Having done my reserach on the subject and based on similar problems i had with other NG systems in the past, all i can say is that i don’t really know what to look into. I am using a sata hd connected through a PCI Sil 3114 card if this matters at all.

Before I opened this thread, I tested some things at no avail. System still locks up:

- with/without ethernet cable connected
- with/without using any usb stick at all
- with different keyboards/mice

The system can work almost flawlessly either for hours or for a couple of seconds upon boot. It is random! No patterns at all and this makes troubleshooting extremely difficult.

It is also important to add that while using another HD with MorphOS 3.15 installed, the system runs smooth like silk for hours with no hiccups whatsoever.

Any ideas on what to try further in order to solve this silly lock-up problem?

Go to top
Re: SAM460ex and frequent lock-ups make the system almost unusable
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
what gfx card?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@NinjaCyborg
Radeon 6450

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@portarinos

OK well I have basically the same setup. Sam460ex, 2GB RAM, 6450 card and it all works fine.

Only difference is I don't use a SATA diak at all. I exclusively use the built in SD card, and USB disks. Because why not.

First question, have you checked your jumper setting is correct on the motherboard to tell you are using a PCI card instead of the onboard SATA?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking the same about testing different disks and maybe an SD. How should the jumpers be set in case of a PCI card? I suppose that if they were set up the wrong way the system wouldn't boot at all or maybe not? Anyhow, if I want to try the SD solution, is there anything I should know or configure?

NOS A1200, V1200
SAM460ex, AOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Get the PDF manual from https://www.acube-systems.biz/download ... ex_EndUserManual_v1.3.pdf

See "to use the PCI-e 1x slot, remove the J16 jumper, and select the corresponding entry in the “PCI-E 1x / SATA-2” U-Boot menu."

Also of course make sure you're on latest firmware for Uboot and maybe the previous owner had changed some of the settings? Did you try resetting it to defaults?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Couple more things - i said i used USB disks, there are loads of headers on the mobo for USB, as long as you get the old style USB2 cables you can add loads of USB not just the 2 external ones. I just attach thumb drives to those and stick them to the inside of my case. Let's be honest, the Amiga isn't going to take advantage of the extra speed of SATA. USB2 is more than fast enough for anything an Amiga can do.

If you still have problems don't be shy to ask acube, i've found them willing to support people with second hand systems in the past. Slow, but willing.

I assume your CPU heatsink is still in place. Even if you choose not to use a fan (I don't) you might still benefit from putting fresh thermal paste on the CPU-heatsink contact area.

My 6450 card is a Sapphire. Have you had any joy with HDMI out? For me HDMI works on MorphOS but on AmigaOS I need to use DVI or VGA out. HDR doesn't know why.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@portarinos

Since it looks like all of your hardware is working (system runs) and I don't see any mentioning of software.

Those random lock ups can be easily triggered by failing apps.

Could you share your running apps, maybe you have some outdated version somewhere?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@portarinos

It is worth having a look at the power supply.
These are what have cause me the most problems with my Sam460ex over the years.

Eventually went back to using the original mini-itx one that the system shipped with.
Using an adapter that allows it to work in the full size tower case that I had moved the motherboard in to .

Have had stability problems with two atx power supplies that tested ok. but problems finally gone with the switch back to the original mini-itx power supply.

The problems included freezing on file transfer or copy and failure of the machine to boot once in a while .

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Spectre660

I use a PicoPSU with an old laptop charger, taped inside my case.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

Can you test to deactivate the "user-startup" for a few days?

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@portarinos
Hello, my dear friend. It is unfortunate that you have those issues.

Since as you said, MorphOS on the same machine seems to work pretty well, then I understand that there is no hardware problem. Although I would recommend, if possible from AmigaOS 4 to run a memtest (http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... ty/hardware/memtester.lzx) and see if there are any issues.

What is the version of version.library?
Also, which Radeon driver version are you using?
Do you have anything else installed other than AmigaOS 4 and the updates?
If you have extra software installed, other than the AmigaOS 4 + updates, please try to disable or remove them and see if the setup becomes more stable.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Happy new year to all! I appreciate all the answers which came rather fast in true Amiga spirit. However, some serious work comitments kept me away from spending time for and with the Amiga. Thank you for the warm support so far.

Anyhow, here it goes with my progress:

a) reinstalled OS4.1 FE + updates + hotfix. No further add-ons and apps. In addition, I realized that the previous owner had installed an SD card which remained in the SD slot. Without this and with only one hard disk installed, my system seems to work almost perfectly. It just freezes once in a while mainly when I'm firing OWB or unzipping files to RAM.
b) I must still run memtester and check the version of version.library as suggested by walkero (thanks George)

As of now, my only problem is that I can't reach a resolution higher than 1024x768. I have a 6450 Radeon gfx card without any additional drivers but this doesn't seem right, does it? Any ideas or workarounds?

NOS A1200, V1200
SAM460ex, AOS 4.1 FE
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
you'll need the RadeonHD driver version 2 or 3 if you want to go to say, 1080P yeah. You buy that by buying Enhancer 2.1

Go to top

Register To Post