Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Network Neighborhood
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there a Network Neighborhood (like on Windows) on AmigaOS4? Do people even have multiple Amigas to do this? Do you see a list of computers/drives like on Windows? And can then browse them?

I am running on WinUAE. I have a shared drive via SMBFS that shows as a regular drive, not a "network share" like on Windows. Does OS4 even know it is a share? Right click "Information" has very little info about it.

Just curious to the extent of the networking ability.

Go to top
Re: Network Neighborhood
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
No. Any network shares are treated like regular drives on AmigaOS. It has no way of knowing whether they are network or not - that's down to the filesystem/handler which mounts them.

I'm not sure there is any benefit to AmigaOS knowing they are networked, however some easy way to mount/dismount network shares through WB would be welcome.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Quote:
Any network shares are treated like regular drives on AmigaOS. It has no way of knowing whether they are network or not - that's down to the filesystem/handler which mounts them.
Well, when you mount them, you decide the local (AOS) devicename. Mine are called SMBFSn:, where n is a number from 0 up. Then I have - for the first few numbers - deficons with a network drive image, so I can actually see on WB when it's a network (SMB) drive.

Quote:
some easy way to mount/dismount network shares through WB would be welcome.
Have a look at SMBMounter, it works brilliantly for me.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache Quote:
Well, when you mount them, you decide the local (AOS) devicename. Mine are called SMBFSn:, where n is a number from 0 up. Then I have - for the first few numbers - deficons with a network drive image, so I can actually see on WB when it's a network (SMB) drive.

Which means that YOU know which drives are network-based... But AmigaOS itself (and any programs running on it) do not have any easy way of telling that. Which I think was the point ChrisY was trying to make.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I asked a while back on Hyperion's forum (or maybe OS4 Coding) about why the devices "back end" hasn't been updated to clearly say: I am a cd drive; I am a harddrive; I am a network share; I am a USB thumb drive; etc., and here are ALL of my specs.

What I am really after is can you see a list of computers on the network on the Amiga side? Amigas, Windows, Macs, etc. I am assuming not.

Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
Go to top

Register To Post