Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

"children"
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
For maybe three or four months now, every time I close Odyssey and don't shut down the computer in the next 10 or 15 seconds, I get this alert wanting me to acknowledge I have closed Odyssey without closing "children."

So far as I can tell, this is a lie. In the past I would get that alert on rare occasions and notice that indeed I had left a PDF or jpeg or something that a click in Odyssey somewhere had produced, and I was perfectly happy to "acknowledge" it. But when I have done no such thing to deserve that rebuke, it is very annoying!

Unique to my system?

Go to top
Re: "children"
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kilaueabart
Never did notice that.
One anoying thing i have is that every time i click on the bookmarks menu i get a freeze.
So same question here , am i the only one to experience this?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

I do get that warning after long sessions with Odyssey, probably also when the memory is quite full

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Bookmarks/Add Bookmarks or
Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks or
View/Sidepanels/Bookmarks

?

You have to be a little more specific.

Safe to say that for me everything regarding bookmarks works a charm

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

Basically it means that Oddysey started some subprocess, that perhaps has hung and cannot exit properly, so the main program has ended uptrying to exit before it's child processes has completed.

You are not being 'rebuked', if anyone it's the author for not setting up suitable code to wait for 'children'.

dos.library will prevent the main program from unloading and warn you what is going on. This is required to precent a crash as the child process is likely using the parents code and resources.

Subprocesses might be media player processes or javascript any thing that runs seperately to the main program.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

just the bookmarks menu between history & windows itself , not a submenu.

It is guaranteed to crash every time here.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JostDuchit
Probably you need to update to the latest mui, or, if it didn't help after, switch back to the previous mui.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

If the child process is named it's relatively easy to see what child process is hanging. When the Grim reaper pop's up run ranger, and look in processes.
You can probably see the name in the rapier too.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2016/5/15 21:27:54
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

Would it help if we provide snapshots of the process window in question?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt
I'll try your suggestions. When I posted my problem, I was sure that it happened every time I close Odyssey, but it hasn't happened in the four or five time I've used it since then.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart

Here is the one i'm getting pretty often (mostly when using OWB a lot)

Resized Image

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kilaueabart Quote:
I'll try your suggestions. When I posted my problem, I was sure that it happened every time I close Odyssey, but it hasn't happened in the four or five time I've used it since then.

Maybe it only (tends to) happen if you have visited a particular website? Might explain why you often see it, but most other people do not.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Or maybe I've turned the machine off too soon after stopping Odyssey. It takes a long time for that alert to pop up.

Next time it happens, I'll remember it's "DOS > Processes" I want to check in Ranger. No idea what "Rapier" is.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There is a 60 second wait after the parent tries to exit, before posting the
requester, if one or more children have failed to exit.

The parent process is suspended until all children exit, and that can also
be forever.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@colinw

I've gotten that error several times. You're not alone. Not gotten it today or yesterday though, and i've been using it pretty heavily the last two days.

@JosDuchIt

I don't get a freeze or crash, but if i have many bookmarks and have set menus to be transparent and / or drop shadows, i get a 0,5-1 second lag before it's displayed.

I guess this is because the bookmarks will take up a lot of space on the screen which has to be rendered to transparency and displayed with the selected fonts and this makes the bookmarks menu the heaviest one to load and display for the machine i guess.

I JUST now cleaned up and sorted my bookmarks and i no longer get a delay.

Currently using a 1GHZ Sam460ex, but i notice the same on my X1000. Although, there i got a LOT of bookmarks.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My bookmarks got flattened, so the menu opens real quick.

Go to top

Register To Post