Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

Firetail, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Hotswapping SATA disk not working
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi

Since SATA is hotswap compatible I though I'd just put in my backup disk while my X1000 was running, but it was nowhere to be seen. No lockup though (unlike with the A1-XE PATA ).

I wasn't expecting it to popup like USB, because I know fixed disks are not hotswap compatible in AmigaOS, but I was still hoping to manually be able to mount it with mounter or something. Unfortunately it was nowhere to be seen, not even after a softreboot the disk still did not appear on the sb600sata.device. I had to do a slow annoying cold reboot to make it appear.

Aren't the disk drivers supposed to scan the bus on (soft)reboot? What about MediaToolbox? I though it would scan all ports to detect new devices.

Anyway, after making my backup I unmounted all partitions and pulled out the disk. This was a few days ago and the machine is still running without a second reboot, so that's good

Conclusion of SATA hotswap:
- Hotswap without power down/up: OK.
- Hotswap as in mounting a new device without (cold) reboot: NOT OK.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Re: Hotswapping SATA disk not working
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Deniil
I have a Delock eSATAp adapter installed in the second external drive bay of my X1000. When I plug in my external SATA hard disk, it doesn't show up on Workbench, in Mounter or in MediaToolBox. However, after a soft reboot it shows up in Mounter and I can mount the partitions on the drive.

EDIT: I don't unmount the partitions; I just unplug the external drive and perform a soft reboot after a backup is finished.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Deniil

IIRC sb600sata_conf is set by CFE if not by the user, this tells amigaos what devices are attached, if you're adding a drive it will be wrong until you do a cold reboot. I have trayless drivebays in the 5.25" bays in my non standard case and only swap drives, that works with a soft reboot.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

That's hot-installation, not hot-swapping ;)

In either case, I'm pretty sure that it's not implemented in any of our drivers.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
That's hot-installation, not hot-swapping ;)

You got a point there ;)
Maybe hot-swapping would actually work, although unmount/mounting has to be done manually.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Deniil

Quote:
Maybe hot-swapping would actually work, although unmount/mounting has to be done manually.

Even if you could do it by fakeing a harddrive as removable media I doubt it would be worth the effort once you've messed about dismounting all the partitions, removing any assigns to the drive, closing down any programs that might have files locked on that drive etc.

Far simpler to just do a warm reboot with whatever drive you want installed in a caddy/dock.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top

Register To Post