Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Arthas, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Time to Pay, I have an idea........
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Never, in the field of minor computing platform, have so few, owed so much to even fewer.

I am talking about the people who write/port software for our beloved platform without much reward, Wookiechat, TuneNet, AbiWord, AmigaAmp Evolution etc, etc, etc.

These are some of the Amiga platform's greatest unsung hereos. Well, I would like to honour them. I would like you all to nominate Amiga programmers that write software/utilities/icons etc for the Amiga without asking for a penny

What I will do, is create a page, which will be linked from Amigans.net front page (Orgin doesn't know this yet) With a list of the people, what programs they are responsible for and a link to their paypal account.

I am hoping that other Amiga portals will also link to this, basic page (All links from will be mentioned, not just amigans.net)

Then, if you download a bit of free amiga software and you enjoy it, you may wish to consider sending the author a little "Thank you"

Please help me, remind me who should be included, I don't want to miss anyone.

So far, I can think of.
Jahc Wookiechat
Bean TuneNet
Bloke who does AmigaAmp (what's his name again please?)
Evolution author
Mason (Mason Icons)
etc, etc

Amiga users, its time we said thank you. Will you help me?

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Re: Time to Pay, I have an idea........
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

(I'm too lazy to embed links)
OpenSSH by Steven Solie (ssolie)
Cygnix X11 by Edgar Schwan
mplayer/mencoder by Andrea Palmat?
And all the ppl who were involved in the developmen of abc-shell:
(Henning Nielsen Lund (hnl_dk), Andy Broad , Thomas and Hans-Joerg Frieden, Nicolas Mendoza, Steven Solie and Frank Wille)
And spotUp the mega-porter

Edited by Jack on 2007/4/17 23:08:28
Edited by Jack on 2007/4/17 23:13:28
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C

An easy way to link to all original apps/ports are to use
os4depot's generated lists. Here's mine for example:

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... ter=Spot%20/%20Up%20Rough

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmiKit

Looks like I have already been beaten to it, however, the site isn't as good as it could be.

Underneath each programmer/Author it should contain a list of the program(s)/utilitie(s) or Icons etc that they have created.

Also, a second page where you can donate by the program/utility or icon, plus the author's name underneath, would make things a lot easier.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mikey_C

amifund has just been generated from the UtilityBase user list, and extra field in the profile "programs responsible for" or whatever would make that page much more useful.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Paul Bloedel (PEB) - MacLikeDoc, CollageBlanker, AmigaScrapBook and a new one soon.

ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C, Chris

Please send those suggestions to amifund.net. Nicomen is the admin there. He's great. For example he already added a project membership feature on my request.

Mikey, you can still create such a page as you intended to attract more developers and users, that's great idea! Just instead of creating a new list of developers link to amifund.net

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C

Maybe a better way to fix this to improve the interface of OS4Depot, so project is organized by developers.

The current interface do not allow more then one developer to be listed for etch uploaded file.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/4/18 18:15:25
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@spotUP

Quote:

spotUP wrote:
@Mikey_C

An easy way to link to all original apps/ports are to use
os4depot's generated lists. Here's mine for example:

http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?fun ... ter=Spot%20/%20Up%20Rough

That list is based on the os4depot uploader, not the authors of the software, and even includes your cross-uploads from Aminet where you ignored the "Distribution: Aminet" ...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@joerg

Which files? So I can remove them.

(Why doesnt people report things like this?)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@orgin
Quote:
Which files? So I can remove them.

Hold on. How can you prove the file(s) came from Aminet and have the restricted distribution set? Some authors allow downloading from their own web site. They also upload to Aminet. Unless there is a notice in the archive stating distribution is only allowed from the author's web site and Aminet how is an uploader to know what is allowed or not?

I think anybody that wants any files removed from some distribution site better be the original author before you take any action at all.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
@Mikey_C

amifund has just been generated from the UtilityBase user list, and extra field in the profile "programs responsible for" or whatever would make that page much more useful.

Well for now, programmers on utilitybase can list all their active projects, which will be displayed on Amifund. They just need to log in to utilitybase, click on MyProjects and then add another one. To appear on AmiFund, they need to give their paypal account details. I see that a few more people have listed their projects.

Hopefully enough people will use this site that nicomen will finish it off. Right now only part of the functionality is operational (e.g., can't edit the status of a project yet), and once a large number of projects are listed, the site's layout will need a redesign to avoid making it look too cluttered.

@Mikey_C

Nicomen could probably use some help with developing AmiFund. There's actually a box on the front page saying "Help Wanted". You could always offer to help improve Amifund rather than create a new page.

Hans

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
This has been on the todo list for Amigabounty.net since the start but since I have neither the skills or time to learn how to make it (atm.) it is nice to hear others will do it :)

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Hans

Didn't know that, I've just added one.

Chris

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@joerg

aahh.. true. didn't think of those uploads.
and.. the distribution: aminet, i missed that one to. :(

i don't understand why someone would want his file only
to be distributed on aminet. i'd want my stuff as well spread as possible.

i will remember to check that field in the future if i'll bother to upload missing stuff to os4depot again. seems it was a bad idea.

which files do you mean? i'll nuke them.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@spotUP

Quote:

i don't understand why someone would want his file only
to be distributed on aminet. i'd want my stuff as well spread as possible.

Same here, but a plausible reason is to keep track of which versions are "out there".

If I find a major bug in v1.6, I don't necessarily want to hunt the Web looking for every downloadable copy of it and getting them replaced with v1.7 which has that bug fixed.

(In reality, I'd just update the ones I uploaded and any others I immediately know about if it is serious. Anybody who uses an old version and doesn't check my website to see if a newer one is available gets what they deserve )*

Of course, it's a bigger problem with CD distribution, but not really relevant these days.

Chris
* I would like to double-stress here that I am joking. I don't want people to trash their computers as a result of my bad programming. But it still isn't my fault if people insist on using old versions of things.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@spotUP
Quote:
i don't understand why someone would want his file only to be distributed on aminet. i'd want my stuff as well spread as possible.

I've seen some authors insist on all sorts of strange conditions. This happens on all platforms and not just Amiga. Sometimes it is some kind of silent protest. Sometimes a metrics thing. Sometimes an attempt at single sourcing. Whatever.

It is possible for an author to argue that control of distribution is important and valid for a copyrighted work. But taken too far an author will actually violate the spirit of copyright law and lose all his rights. As always, a happy balance should be found.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

mmm ... well.. i've deleted my cross uploads. i'm clean now. end of story for me. end of cross uploading aswell.
all fine all good. :)

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »