Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmiDock.....Huh?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
On X1000.

If I open several subdocks, do a hard reset or power off reset, the subdocks
are still open after boot.

Is this normal?

A1-X1000
Go to top
Re: AmiDock.....Huh?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I think i observed that too.
If this is normal, i don't like it.

Other "is this normal" question
My amidock is positioned on the bottom right or my sreen (1920x1080)
The icons on it only take the half of the screen width.
When i add an icon it is not added "downunder" but it is added on a new level just above the main dock, just this icon alone in the middle of the screen.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Quote:
When i add an icon it is not added "downunder" but it is added on a new level just above the main dock, just this icon alone in the middle of the screen.

Yes, when you add a new icon, it won't automatically increase the dock's length in order to accommodate it. Instead, it'll start a new row above. You can fix this by grabbing the end of the dock and pulling it out manually.

Personally, I'd prefer it if the dock auto-extended to fit rather than start a new row, but that's not how it works.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

That's rather odd as that's exactly how it works for me, add an icon and the docs gets wider till it reaches the width of the screen.

I wonder how your settings differ from mine ....

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mechanic

Quote:

On X1000.

If I open several subdocks, do a hard reset or power off reset, the subdocks
are still open after boot.

Is this normal?

Do you have the "autosave preferences" option on? This will cause changes to be 'sticky' I think.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

Okay it works like this.

If you resize the dock using the double arrows mouse pointer on the edges, you create a fixed size dock. The width and height of this wil be fixed until you've added more icons than will fit into it. Then it'll crate a new row or column depending on it's orientation. To clear this fixed size mode, choose the auto-resize option from the dock popup menu. The dock will now always resize to accomodate the icons you drop on it, creating extra rows or coulmns as required when the dock reaches the screen size limit.

The moment you manually resize it again, it flips back into fixed size mode.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:

Do you have the "autosave preferences" option on? This will cause changes to be 'sticky' I think.

Yup! Turned off autosave prefs and no more stickies.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

to position the mouse on the edges i have to be able to see them better.

My amidock is positioned on the white screen background not on the Workbench, and i keep the workbench window less high so as to see Amidock below

I don't know how i got Amidock it there, and how i could put it back on the Workbench window again , which would perhaps show the edges better.

I also tried various settings under the tab "apparence"
eg
- dock backgound /image selectiong different backgrounds & transparencies
- bright and dark edges

that don't seem to have visible effects

How can i see the edges, in short.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt
Quote:

My amidock is positioned on the white screen background not on the Workbench, and i keep the workbench window less high so as to see Amidock below

You are running the workbench in windowed mode as standard? Why?

Quote:

I don't know how i got Amidock it there, and how i could put it back on the Workbench window again , which would perhaps show the edges better.

Select the workbench, press 'RAMIGA b' and the workbench will revert to backdrop mode, filling the entire screen.

Quote:

eg
- dock backgound /image selectiong different backgrounds & transparencies

Choosing a dark background image and reducing transparency should reveal the dock against a white background.

Quote:

- bright and dark edges

These just change the transparency of the edges, so white edges on a white background, remain invisible.

Try instead changeing the colour of the background of the workbench screen. (prefs/WBPattern)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues, tahnks for the info
Quote:
You are running the workbench in windowed mode as standard? Why?

I am just experimenting with this possibility, using the workbench arexx port for the root & other drawer window.
The idea being, to hide most open windows behind the root window and make the needed one visible "on demand" either with the WB arexx port or with wtf (window to front cli command

It seems Amidock is always positioned on the screen , i was mistaken to think it could also appear on the root window. Is this possible ? In fact i was looking in the Amidock prefs for the opposite how to bring Amidock back to the screen
Quote:

Choosing a dark background image and reducing transparency should reveal the dock against a white background.

OK this time i found how to

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I am sure I used to know this, but I am struggling now...

Amidock subdocks such as Extras and Players do not stay aligned to the Extras or Players icon on the main dock when I change screenmode.

How can I anchor the subdock to the main dock icon irrespective of screenmode?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
You can't, its a limitation within current AmiDock. All sub-docks use absolutely positioning, they do not take a relative position from their 'parent'.
I hope AmigaOS 4.2 fixes this as its very very lame, I think its fair to say that AmiDock falls short in many areas.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki

You can use "SmartButton" from OS4Depot to do exactly that (and much more)

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban

@abalaban

Indeed you can. But it's much easier to say it's 'lame' than to work out how to use it.

SubDocks aren't much different to Docks (if in fact there is any difference at all) except the special docky that creates them can open and close them independently of the "Main Dock" and remove them if you remove the docky from the main dock.

Given that, you can do all sorts of crazy things with them, have button banks that open and close on command, have menus systems built of of docks (though why you wouldn't use the main WB menu I don't know). Docks may be snapped against the screen edges, locked in position, move about freely etc etc.

You could create a very DOpus5 like setup with them with a bit of work and choice of application.

SmartButton adds the ability to have the dock open next to the docky that opened it, which too can be useful. (And a heck of a lot more features too!).

AmiDock may have a few bugs here and there but it's only as 'lame' as your imagination.

Remember if you switch off the "Autosave preferences" checkmark, you can use the "use" button to experiment as much as you like without ruining the working config.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

You got the wrong guy. abalaban never said AmiDock was lame.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

I know that Apologies if it read that way. I was attempting to reinforce and expand on his point that you can do it with Smartdock and then some ... the word "you" throughout was 'generic'

Edited by broadblues on 2014/2/7 19:10:44
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

Every day one can learn new things. Thanks :)

Going to testing...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Im no fan of amidock

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Kicko

Matter of taste, I think.

I found pretty practical to put often needed programs there. It should be more finished in some degree, but does its job.

Go to top

Register To Post