Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
169 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Question on large file copy
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I downloaded a large video file (4.1 gig). Watching from the download worked. Copying the file to a USB stick, however, went to 100%, and then froze. Was the file actually fully copied, or did the progress bar fill up to quickly? I broke the file into smaller parts with chunker, copied them over and remade the file, and that worked.

Go to top
Re: Question on large file copy
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
There are so many variables in the chain that it's hard to answer your question.

Many filesystems don't support files greater than 2 GB in length, so the copy could have been corrupted at any of these places:
1. Where the file was downloaded to (what file system?).
2. What it was copied to (what filesystem on the USB stick?).
3. What program did the copy (not all can read or copy files greater than 2 GB).
4. What program is reading it back to test it?
(etc)

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Sorry. Running on 4.1.6 on X-1000.
Downloaded to a JXF partition. Was able to view (Start of, at least) via DV Player. File size through List was 4446617604. Copied to a 32 gig micro SD formatted fat32. I tried copy from Workbench. The intent was to move to my PS3 to watch on my TV vs. monitor. I left the copy go and went to bed to see if it would be finished, but the copy ended with 4294967296 on the stick.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Nuder_Try

FAT32 doesn't support files > 4GB no matter what OS you use. There is a NTFS3G filesystem which supports larger files but this is not released to the public yet (only to betatesters).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Ah... Did not know that. However, yhe progress indicator still gets to 100% before the copy is complete, even JXF to JXF.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Nuder_Try

Our system has a 2G limit, really makes it hard with newer HD videos. DvPlayer & mui-mplayer both can't handle files over 1.5G on the x1000. Not sure just fixing the memory limit will help much with the players.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Nuder_Try

Quote:

Ah... Did not know that. However, yhe progress indicator still gets to 100% before the copy is complete, even JXF to JXF.

If it's just the progress indicator then it's mainly a cosmetic thing to fix (I fixed a similar thing in md5sum).

If the copying in AsyncWB is reasonably written it will keep reading from the source file and writing to the destination file until it encounters an EOF in the source file in which case it won't matter how big the file is or that the progress indicator code thinks it should already be finished.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
does the PS3 have a web or ftp interface? you should be able to send the file over the network.

I ftp files to my dreambox all the time.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
PS3 does have web access. Will try that later, thanks for the idea.

Go to top

Register To Post