Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
New OS4 user
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Even if I have been here ages, I haven't been OS4 user until now . :D

I bought Sam 440ep Flex and OS4 license. I didn't get it to up and running before I get suitable PCI graphics card, wich took about a month. Radeon 9250 was my choise because I wanted it to have best possible software support.

My first impressions were positive, OS4 installation was quite easy and fast. I installed updates (OS4.1) and it worked "out of box". I waited that it would require quit much tinkering, before it would be useable.

I was waiting Flex to be poor, powerless machine, but it is not. Everything I have tested so far has worked very nicely. Web surfing is pleasant experince and watching avis is also ok. Even original OS4 OWB is very useable, for surfing news etc.

Generally I'm very pleased to it.

Some miscellaneous thoughts :

No driver for WLAN adapters :( except anicent prism.device. I need to bought D-Link access point.

Support for Classic software is good or bad, depending on what you expect. Those wich work, works very fast, like Napalm, Myst, Nightlong etc. WarpOS/Warp3d games are generally disapointments :/ I waited that I could play Payback on warp3d screen. Shogo/Wipeout doesn't work at all.

I also get some problems with keyboard. Good examle is The shadow of the third moon. It is very fast, but unfortunately it is unplayable, because buttons A/Z doesn't work, they are required to move aeroplane. Payback requird gamepad attached and configured to amiga input, to get keyboard work with menus, but it still doesn't work in game. I found several other 68k games wich has a same problem.

Genrally there is lots of problems with gamepads, like if I try to connect two of them usb stack crashes. Cant configure it to work with GLQuake, only some of buttons works etc. BUT with Payback and TSotTM works well.

OS4 depot is great source of software and there are plenty of them, but there is lots of games/apps that dosn't exist there. :( Does anyone know places like this ? http://capehill.kapsi.fi/ Quake2/QUake3 ports for OS4, wich doesn't exicst on OS4 depot.

Is there lots of treasure corners like mr. Capehill's corner????

Intuition base could be good source, but it is not :( too few users has updated their experiences to there. I did :) I made entry of TTsotM

I also find out that severall 68k apps reports that there is no enough free disk space. Some of them has a problem to install * How to modify install scrip to disable space check?? What should I look for? Is this SFS problem or what???

Somebody has made RTG master fix for OS4, it really works better with OS4 than original 68k version works with 68k. Could he made his version availlable 68k also????

Seems that many programs mess up with libraries??? Does AmiUpdate fix these kind of problems??? If not, thn it should and it would be even easy to implement.

Generally there is enough software they are useable enough to make hoppyist like me happy.

EDIT:

I get one idee :) here http://zod.sourceforge.net/ ClickBoom originally announced this game for Amiga, now it is possible, because opensource remake.

Edited by utri007 on 2013/2/24 21:41:42
Edited by utri007 on 2013/2/24 21:47:13
Edited by utri007 on 2013/2/24 21:48:36
Go to top
Re: New OS4 user
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Two game controllers don't work? That's probably something that can be fixed one way or another, because it's worked here since the early days of AmigaInput.

I'd say most open source games are on OS4Depot. Aminet is worth a look.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
2 controllrs doesn't work :( Some how I sucecded to mess up my Amiga inputprefs so baddly that all SDL games stopped to work.

It was easy to fix, I just removed preferences fron ENV/SYS.

What are PCI and Catweasel devices on Amiga input? I don't hav Catweasel device on my system, but status is working??? And I can assign it to low lvel library??

Is there a way check that all libraries and commands are latest versions?

Edited by utri007 on 2013/2/24 23:39:37
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Just repeating this here for the benefit of others, as it's important:

Quote:
I also find out that severall 68k apps reports that there is no enough free disk space. Some of them has a problem to install * How to modify install scrip to disable space check?? What should I look for? Is this SFS problem or what???

It's an Installer problem. Never, ever, ever use pre-OS4 versions of Installer on OS4. As well as the disk space thing, it also has a habit of overwriting native libraries with 68k ones.

btw, did you try NetSurf yet?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Welcome as an os4 user. :)
Be careful as chris said about using the installer on old 68k software. If some software doesn't work, you can test them with runinuae. Not sure about what speed the flex can give though.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
"Never, ever, ever use pre-OS4 versions of installer..."

Would it be possible to have a commodity to protect user from accidentally running those harmfull programs/installers/scripts?

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@utri007
Quote:

I get one idee :) here http://zod.sourceforge.net/ ClickBoom originally announced this game for Amiga, now it is possible, because opensource remake.

Zod port pretty possible, its just have some endianes issues. Port already done for AROS, but for OS4 i just have crashes and all what is need is to fix endianes issues (in other words, any programmer can made that port in 1 day, for sure). I also can do that, but as i am not programmer in general, i will loose more time on fixing those endian-related problems. You may try to ask AfxGroup or HunoPPC for it. They skilled enough for that task imho :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@KimmoK

You might find that ASR's FakeInstaller patch does that (as a side-effect). Not sure though.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
There is something wrong with my amigainput.

It used to work, but now it just freeses, whn I put gamepad to usb port. Removin usb device woun't help, I need to remov all preferences from env/sys/amigainput

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Try moving anything you're not using out of Libs:AmigaInput - leave all the Generic_#? ones there though.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I missed this:

Quote:
No driver for WLAN adapters :( except anicent prism.device. I need to bought D-Link access point.

The ancient Prism2 devices work perfectly, the only problems are (a) they are increasingly rare and (b) they are limited to 11Mbps (my broadband is faster than that now!)

A nice alternative is the TP-Link WA-701ND, which I can heartily recommend (I'm fairly sure they are still available, although you might find them superceded with a newer model). They work as wireless clients, wireless access points and repeaters. I use mine as a wireless client on the back of a BBC iPlayer-capable STB and it has no problems streaming video in HD (or what passes for HD on iPlayer).

They are an absolute treat and (at the time I bought mine, anyway) a real bargain for what they do.

I still use a Prism2 card in my SAM though.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I need to consider to buying WLAN card from Amigakit. Just wondering, does it support wpa?

By the way, I usually use Netsurf with my amiga :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
Would it be possible to have a commodity to protect user from accidentally running those harmfull programs/installers/scripts?

Most likely yes (in fact probably pretty easy to prevent old 68k Installer from being used), but as I don't install 68k stuff (I just use my large collection copied over from my A1200 days) I never looked into it.

Chris Y is probably right that a side-effect of AmiSystemRestore is that it will always use the official OS4 installer rather than some old 68k version.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

utri007 wrote:
I need to consider to buying WLAN card from Amigakit. Just wondering, does it support wpa?

Yes, but you'll need to stick it in a PC to upgrade the firmware (unless AmigaKit have done so already - no harm in asking them)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Chris Posted on: Today 1:28
Try moving anything you're not using out of Libs:AmigaInput - leave all the Generic_#? ones there though.

Problem solved, thanks

I installed ASR, it icon has placed not so nicely, so I moved it more suitable place. I choosed it with purpose to snapshot it, but result is grim reaper. It means that I can't change that icon place???

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@utri007

Quote:

it's not that ancient. neil continues to update it over time, and it's gotten rather useful. the current version supports a variety of WPA2 authentication methods, for example, and the PCI adapter cards that it supports are plentiful and cheap on ebay. i have wireless PCI cards in both of my amigas, one of which is a SAM like yours.

you might find the following article on wireless networking on OS4 useful on getting started if you're still interested.

Quote:
OS4 depot is great source of software and there are plenty of them, but there is lots of games/apps that dosn't exist there. :( Does anyone know places like this ? http://capehill.kapsi.fi/ Quake2/QUake3 ports for OS4, wich doesn't exicst on OS4 depot.

Is there lots of treasure corners like mr. Capehill's corner????

there are a few scattered about, like amidog's site which usually has the latest builds of his emulators like FPSE. i just discovered them over time.

Quote:
Intuition base could be good source, but it is not :( too few users has updated their experiences to there. I did :) I made entry of TTsotM

we're getting better all of the time. in the past six months we've added or updated hundreds of entries in our software and hardware compatibility databases, but obviously we always welcome more content. every submission helps, so if you find some software you really like or a hardware add-on that we don't have listed, please let us know and we'll add it right away!

enjoy your SAM. mine was my first amiga ever, and i still love it.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
it's not that ancient. neil continues to update it over time, and it's gotten rather useful. the current version supports a variety of WPA2 authentication methods, for example, and the PCI adapter cards that it supports are plentiful and cheap on ebay. i have wireless PCI cards in both of my amigas, one of which is a SAM like yours.

Ancient mean 11mbs only and I can't buy new. I work in itc busines, so I've very good sources to get computer parts.

But thanks for links.

I've couble of questions

Does any one have problem with Widelands. Immediatly when I click one of the buttons right, game crashes.
http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... me/strategy/widelands.lha
EDIT: Immediatly when I try to build something

Why some games requires assing for usr folder wich doesn't exist? One is that frogatto and another is lincity ng.

Edited by utri007 on 2013/2/26 20:05:08
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
One nice game more, wich isn't in os4depot

http://www.gianas-return.de/

Edited by utri007 on 2013/2/27 7:21:32
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Quote:
Does any one have problem with Widelands. Immediatly when I click one of the buttons right, game crashes.

It doesnt crash right away for me but after a while i get a dsi.

Have you tried Amiboing

I sent a pm to you.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I just read comments of wideland, seems that is has never worked. :(

Could somebody fix that game? Settlers was one of my all time favorits, and it would be nice to get this work.

I decided that I bought one software a month and very same day I broke my prosmise to myself, I bought two :D

DVPlayer and extremely expensive ;) Huno PPC's 1941 ultimate :D

Edited by utri007 on 2013/2/27 8:22:26
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »