Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
171 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

MigthyMax, VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
best 5 or 6 series card to get for future 3d
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
ok now that I think I would like to 'upgrade' my HD4670, can we start talking about which 5 or 6 series cards are the best to get for our miggies running OS4.x & hopefully soon 4.2

Edited by 328gts on 2012/10/31 20:05:17
mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: best 5 or 6 series card to get for future 3d
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts

I recommend buying a card from an Amiga dealer like AmigaKit, who supplies cards that have been tested and are known to work. You may also wish to have a look at the compatibility list on my website.

As for specifically which one. Well, that depends entirely on what you wish to do with your machine:
* If you're into gaming and/or graphics intensive stuff, then the more powerful the better (basically, get the best card whose price-tag you can justify)

* If you're not that into gaming, then a mid-range card such as the 6570/6670 would be a safe bet. These are close to the 4650/4670 in (theoretical) performance

* If you're only going to use the machine for email, word-processing and a few really basic games (e.g., Solitaire), then a low end 5450-6450 will probably do

There is a huge performance difference between the low-end cards and the high end cards of each series, as can be seen in the GfxBench2D benchmarks. This is why it is largely up to you, and what you want to do with your machine.

Hans

P.S. If you buy a card that's not on the compatibility list, please do send me the details as per the instructions at the bottom of the compatibility list page.

P.P.S. I'm basing my suggestions on the assumption that Gallium3D will bring new games/software, and that you aren't buying a temporary card just for Warp3D.

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Aren't the 7xxx cards supported now too?

Or are those cards not fit for future 3D support?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts Quote:
ok now that we know we need to 'upgrade' our 4000 series video cards

That is wrong. Gallium3D+Mesa should work perfectly well on a 4000 series card (and in fact it might even work *better* than a 5000/6000 series card, as the 4000 series is (or was) better supported by Gallium3D).

It is only for the new Warp3D drivers that you "need" a 5000/6000 series card. And Warp3D stuff tends to not be very demanding at all, so you can buy a cheap underpowered card (e.g. the 5450), and then switch back to your 4650 (or better) card when OS4.2 (Gallium3D+Mesa) arrives.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:
@328gts

I recommend buying a card from an Amiga dealer like AmigaKit, who supplies cards that have been tested and are known to work.

Tongue in cheek reply !

Were they the ones who advised us all to use the 4xxx series in our X1000s ?
I am sure they were

I will stick with my 4670 and wait for Gallium, as has been said the W3D drivers are just a bonus anyway, and I don't play many games.

Looking around the 5xxx series seem to be a *downgrade* from the 4670, and the 6xxx are a bit expensive on ebay.co.uk at the moment.

I think I will not miss W3D too much for a while

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

BillE wrote:
Quote:

Hans wrote:
@328gts

I recommend buying a card from an Amiga dealer like AmigaKit, who supplies cards that have been tested and are known to work.

Tongue in cheek reply !

Were they the ones who advised us all to use the 4xxx series in our X1000s ?
I am sure they were

Tongue in cheek or not... that was back when the 4xxx series was still available, and was also the newest supported series. Back then, I also recommended the 4xxx series and told people not to get the 5xxx or 6xxx series as they weren't supported.

Things have changed, and so must we.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@328gts Quote:
ok now that we know we need to 'upgrade' our 4000 series video cards

That is wrong. Gallium3D+Mesa should work perfectly well on a 4000 series card (and in fact it might even work *better* than a 5000/6000 series card, as the 4000 series is (or was) better supported by Gallium3D).

It is only for the new Warp3D drivers that you "need" a 5000/6000 series card. And Warp3D stuff tends to not be very demanding at all, so you can buy a cheap underpowered card (e.g. the 5450), and then switch back to your 4650 (or better) card when OS4.2 (Gallium3D+Mesa) arrives.

very well sir I will reword my original sentence to help clarify my intent 'Now that I want to upgrade my video card'

@ Hans et all

thanks for the info. I know some of the 5 &6 series cards are bloody massive and I have all my slots full right now so I'm looking for a 'slim' card and don't care if there is a fan or not (as long as it's not hunormous)

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
Aren't the 7xxx cards supported now too?

Or are those cards not fit for future 3D support?

A-EON said that Warp3D drivers for the 7xxx series was a "possibility," whereas the 5xxx and 6xxx series are definite.

Gallium3D will support the 7xxx series via the radeonsi driver. However, this driver is still in its early stages (i.e., not usable yet on Linux). This will change over time, of course. Exactly when the radeonsi driver will be up to standard and also available on AmigaOS is something that I don't know.

If you don't mind skipping the Warp3D drivers, then you might as well stick with your existing 4xxx card.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts

Quote:

328gts wrote:

@ Hans et all

thanks for the info. I know some of the 5 &6 series cards are bloody massive and I have all my slots full right now so I'm looking for a 'slim' card and don't care if there is a fan or not (as long as it's not hunormous)

I personally have this low-profile Sapphire Radeon HD 6670. It's SKU# is 11192-18-40G.

If you want something a bit more powerful, Trevor mentioned that he had a single slot 6850 in his blog. It's a PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH.

Hans

Go to top
Anonymous

Surely getting cards from Amiga dealers saves a lot of nerves.

There is only one card offered, and its 60 euros.
Radeon HD6570 PCI-E 1GB
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/c ... cPath=36&products_id=1116

While 2D benches might not show 3D power (my internal joke is that Cirus Logic cards could do those tests well
Once Warp3D implementation is done, only possible things to compare would be such cards vs what Radeon 9000 pro?

And once Gallium comes, we ll see much more fun ...

Thanks for all the good work, and its good to see your project financially secured,even I am among those who say - lefting 4000 seris out of Warp3D was not a nice decision
(we are already used to old hardware, cards are cheap and fast too ...)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
thanks Hans, I'll keep my eye out for a 6670 or 6850 and most likely still keep my 4670 in my X so i can get dual screens running

Edited by 328gts on 2012/11/1 2:50:04
mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

I like the idea that this discussion is happening AT ALL.

Thanks to the new hardware platforms from both ACube and A-EON we are one step closer to a growing ecosystem.

With the 3D work, both short term (Warp) and long term (Gallium) there is lots of good stuff to look forward to.

When it comes to deciding on what platforms (gfx cards) to support, sometimes the extra time/cost to support older platforms just isn't worth it. It may actually be cheaper to "bribe" users to upgrade from older hardware. I have been in similar situations and sometimes the bribe/carrot works. Sometimes the offer is trade-in values, sometimes it is discounts or free maintenance. Depends on the situation.

Once again - great thread and here's to 3D support in all its flavours!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hans said...

Quote:
If you want something a bit more powerful, Trevor mentioned that he had a single slot 6850 in his blog. It's a PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH.

I bought this same card after reading Trevor's blog entry, and it's what I use in my X1000. It works! But it is pricey, costing twice as much ($300 US from my source) as 6850 cards that are thick enough to take up two slots. But I wanted the one-slot option and had some extra bucks to spend. If buying now, I'm not sure if I'd spring for the extra costly extra thin card. But that money is spent and forgotten about. I expect to be using this card for many years to come.

gregthecanuck said...

Quote:
I like the idea that this discussion is happening AT ALL.

Thanks to the new hardware platforms from both ACube and A-EON we are one step closer to a growing ecosystem.

With the 3D work, both short term (Warp) and long term (Gallium) there is lots of good stuff to look forward to.

I agree completely!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ mbrantley

well I guess I got lucky because I just did a quick ebay search before heading off to bed and I got myself a used one slot HD6850 for $173 CDN including shipping costs which is ok by me as I paid that much for my 4670 when I first got my X last year.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans,

Not to nit pick, but Amigakit were still advocating 4850 cards for X1000s when mine was built this August - 3 months ago.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ddni wrote:
@Hans,

Not to nit pick, but Amigakit were still advocating 4850 cards for X1000s when mine was built this August - 3 months ago.

AFAIK, 3 months ago nobody was working on or planning Warp3D drivers.

Seriously, stop trying to pin some sort of blame on Amigakit, A-EON, or anyone else working hard to improve AmigaOS. They're doing the best that they can given the circumstances. There is no conspiracy. AMD is the one that decided that the 4000 series was history, and there's no point in getting angry with them either.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hans please do not assume that I am trying to pin blame!
I simply stated that the 4850 cards were advocated by Amigakit. They are still an option on the X1000 configuration page, although I do not think orders are being taken so this is a moot point.

I have the utmost faith in Amigakit, Aeon and you. I would not have spent nearly £2500 otherwise ;)

My main problem now is explaining to my son why his PC gaming experience has been degraded... I snaffled his 6850 for my X1000 - don't tell him!!!

Keep up the good work!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ddni wrote:
Hans please do not assume that I am trying to pin blame!
I simply stated that the 4850 cards were advocated by Amigakit. They are still an option on the X1000 configuration page, although I do not think orders are being taken so this is a moot point.

That was not directed at you personally. There have been several comments made that imply/insinuate dishonesty (i.e., "some sort of blame"), and that irks me.

NOTE: Simply offering a product as an option for sale does NOT constitute advocating or recommending a product.

Quote:
My main problem now is explaining to my son why his PC gaming experience has been degraded... I snaffled his 6850 for my X1000 - don't tell him!!!

Don't worry, I won't tell him.
BTW, is this 6850 on the compatibility list? If not, please submit the details (if you have them).

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
The advice given was via a conversation and support ticket with amigakit. I have no axe to grind and have experienced nothing but A1 service from Amigakit with every aspect of my orders that have been under their control.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Anonymous
Quote:
Seriously, stop trying to pin some sort of blame on Amigakit, A-EON, or anyone else working hard to improve AmigaOS. They're doing the best that they can given the circumstances. There is no conspiracy. AMD is the one that decided that the 4000 series was history, and there's no point in getting angry with them either.

This can considered as "healthy" policy, and if such road is taken, then having 3D with RadeonHD at all is a must priority.
As I understand Warp3D driver WILL BE developed (by you) but currently no RadeonHD in AmigaOS cant do hardware Warp3D.

So its yet to come, soon hope.

If such healthy policy will really be adopted (that we forget all hardware that gets obsolete but cheap) hope all those guys and you can keep up with such IT developments yet to come.

At the same time, its kind of silly Voodo and Radeon 9200 cards (died both quite long time ago) are only that can do Warp3D. But soon, as you say, that all should be history.

Its just a silly moment on a catwalk to the future.

And a small stop gap procedure, but hope that newer equipped SAM460 and X1000 models once equipped with those new age RadeonHDs will be able to do fast 3D. That could give AmigaOS some equality and potential.

And that is how honestly would I explain the same decision

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »